• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do I Play a Good Ness?

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
I just need to know some good combos, how to approach, some counters, etc. I can further elaborate if needed. Thanks!

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Usually you want to approach with a PK Fire in front of you. It either sets up for combos or baits a shield, depending on how predictable you are. If they shield, they won't be able to punish your Fire (unless they perfect shield, but I haven't been punished yet).

D-throw (make sure to get some good pummels in first) into fair works well, depending on your opponents vectoring. If your opponent vectors the fair, throw out another, because they're only able to move back (as far as I'm aware). If they don't vector it, double jump into another fair and another fair again.
In other words, d-throw to fair fair fair. It works for me.
Unless they vector properly on the d-throw, in which case a nair or uair will usually keep them from reciprocating.

I think Ness has a generally good punish game. Misspaced jumps are punished by uair strings. Rolls are punished by nair, bair and dash attacks. Bair is also good for edgeguarding; opponents don't usually see it coming and it's easy to sweetspot on approach. Nair is a beautiful get off of me move.

Use his tilts. A lot. Despite their low range, standard A combo, ftilt, and dtilt all come in handy when playing on the defensive since they're all pretty fast and allow for follow ups (learn how to trip with dtilt if you do this). Utilt isn't that useful. It can get some great strings in if you're playing a heavy character.

Remember to apply a mixup game. Ness' mixup options aren't that strong, but they make a big difference as they should. If you're afraid your PK Fire approaches are becoming predictable, full jump into PK Fire or short hop fair. It throws off your opponents timing a lot. If people are responding to your bair edgeguards, throw out a PK Thunder. And make sure to angle it so you knock them back on stage. Unless they're Little Mac, they're going to recover anyway, so bring them close and make the hitstun count. This shouldn't be an issue though, because Ness' b-throw should be killing every time. If you don't think you can kill, d-throw combo.

This is all speaking from For Glory experience. I don't know anything about an "official" Ness meta, and if anyone disagrees with me, they probably know more than me. Hope I helped a little.

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
Usually you want to approach with a PK Fire in front of you. It either sets up for combos or baits a shield, depending on how predictable you are. If they shield, they won't be able to punish your Fire (unless they perfect shield, but I haven't been punished yet).

D-throw (make sure to get some good pummels in first) into fair works well, depending on your opponents vectoring. If your opponent vectors the fair, throw out another, because they're only able to move back (as far as I'm aware). If they don't vector it, double jump into another fair and another fair again.
In other words, d-throw to fair fair fair. It works for me.
Unless they vector properly on the d-throw, in which case a nair or uair will usually keep them from reciprocating.

I think Ness has a generally good punish game. Misspaced jumps are punished by uair strings. Rolls are punished by nair, bair and dash attacks. Bair is also good for edgeguarding; opponents don't usually see it coming and it's easy to sweetspot on approach. Nair is a beautiful get off of me move.

Use his tilts. A lot. Despite their low range, standard A combo, ftilt, and dtilt all come in handy when playing on the defensive since they're all pretty fast and allow for follow ups (learn how to trip with dtilt if you do this). Utilt isn't that useful. It can get some great strings in if you're playing a heavy character.

Remember to apply a mixup game. Ness' mixup options aren't that strong, but they make a big difference as they should. If you're afraid your PK Fire approaches are becoming predictable, full jump into PK Fire or short hop fair. It throws off your opponents timing a lot. If people are responding to your bair edgeguards, throw out a PK Thunder. And make sure to angle it so you knock them back on stage. Unless they're Little Mac, they're going to recover anyway, so bring them close and make the hitstun count. This shouldn't be an issue though, because Ness' b-throw should be killing every time. If you don't think you can kill, d-throw combo.

This is all speaking from For Glory experience. I don't know anything about an "official" Ness meta, and if anyone disagrees with me, they probably know more than me. Hope I helped a little.
This definitely helps. This basically laid out everything I need to know, and I'm really feeling good about maining him. Thanks!

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
What Code said is all great.

I haven't played the game yet since I am waiting on the Wii U version, but these combos are also standard from more or less the beginning for Ness (Smash 64). I have a few pointers of my own that may help you. Do note I'm not a godly player like FOW or NAKAT etc, etc, but I think I know Ness quite well since I've used him since the birth of Smash Bros.

- The key is trying not to get discouraged if your PSI Fire isn't always hitting. The pressure it creates just trying to avoid it opens up options for Ness. Ness can charge at an enemy and grab them out of their shield if they choose that route, or he can use his dash attack for rollers; Ness' dash attack is great for this. PSI Fire can also be used to help edge-guard people. Once locked in the fire, you can potentially get a spike on the enemy through your D-Air.
- F-Air in this game is godly by the looks of it. NAKAT and FOW both demonstrate the use of this skill extremely well. It's very possible to get 2 or even 3 F-Airs on an enemy if your master the rhythm of Ness' double jump. Its increased range in this game makes it all the more better. F-Air can also be used as a means of approach as well. Faster enemies such as Greninja or Sheik may be hard to keep tabs on, but jumping backwards while they're running at you and using F-Air may catch them, since the energy exerted from Ness' hands still extends from them as he's moving backward.
- Ness' B-Air was quite strong, I'm not sure if it still is like it was, but the
extension of Ness' legs during the animation make it a great punishing move if someone rolls behind you.
- Ness' U-Air can be used in the same manner as his F-Air in the sense that once you master Ness' double jump rhythm, it is possible to chain multiple U-Airs on an enemy. Because of the nature of his double jump, he can use these skills (U-Air and F-Air) almost without notice right out of his 2nd jump.
- D-Throw is nice for leading into combos that Code mentioned.
- Everyone who has played Ness knows about his Jesus-style B-Throw. Be sure to prioritise this throw when an enemy is at higher percentages, as it just may send them farther than you thought it would.
- Ness' tilts have to be used in order to be effective IMO. U-Tilt, although lacking range, can lock up bigger characters due to its fast animation. D-Tilt can rack a few quick % as well, and F-Tilt can punish those trying to get up and roll toward you.
- Don't be afraid to use Ness' PSI Thunder as a mind-game mechanism. Using this skill wisely even on stage can result in some unexpected kills due to how powerful Ness becomes upon hitting himself. Don't be afraid to use PSI Thunder to juggle people in the air, and if they dodge it, bring it back down quickly and send yourself to a more favourable part of the stage where you can't be punished. PSI Thunder can be useful for edge-guarding as well. I've noticed that enemies who are of higher % get knocked back considerably even from the initial shock. This means that if an enemy is positioned slightly under the stage, it's possible to hit them with PSI Thunder and make them hit the stage and bounce downward to their death.

Last edited:
Top Bottom