• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I outrange this grab spamming brain dead character?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yes, I am salty.

I play Marth, Mewtwo, and sometimes Diddy kong.
If you're viewing this you may be thinking. "Well he mains these characters why doesn't he have the MU down packed?"
Because...

This stupid unbalanced character has way too fast frame data, way too much safe kill power, and he's impossible to punish! I can't do ANYTHING to prevent this braindead from getting a grab and racking 30% or more on me no matter my Character. He just runs under everything I do and screws me over. Don't even get me started on his recovery. I'd say its the safest Up-B in the game aside from teleports and Spring.

Rant over.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I am salty.

I play Marth, Mewtwo, and sometimes Diddy kong.
If you're viewing this you may be thinking. "Well he mains these characters why doesn't he have the MU down packed?"
Because...

This stupid unbalanced character has way too fast frame data, way too much safe kill power, and he's impossible to punish! I can't do ANYTHING to prevent this braindead from getting a grab and racking 30% or more on me no matter my Character. He just runs under everything I do and screws me over. Don't even get me started on his recovery. I'd say its the safest Up-B in the game aside from teleports and Spring.

Rant over.
Marth and Mewtwo WIN against mario. The matchup is literally zone mario out, and if you make a mistake then he gets in and gets dmg. I Also personally I hate playing against diddy as mario as well, that fair is just a better mario bair,dtilt is a broken move, banana, monkey flip lol.

Rawrbeque

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rawrbeque26
You have to take advantage of his weak ass range. It's our weakness.

You have to safely space aerials. What I mean is, you cant just fair into a power shield and get grabbed, because that's going to result in damage. You have to safely space your fair in and out if it gets shielded. That way you can stay out of grab range when he goes to try to punish. If he tries to shield grab he will do it in place and miss, if he tries to dash grab, you will probably already be out of harms way.

short hop fair and nair are marths go to move in the neutral against mario. Don't let him get anywhere near you. If he does grab you, you can use counter or up-b as a combo breaker. Let me know if you have any other questions. The mario vs marth match-up is definitely in favor of Marth.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
You have to take advantage of his weak *** range. It's our weakness.

You have to safely space aerials. What I mean is, you cant just fair into a power shield and get grabbed, because that's going to result in damage. You have to safely space your fair in and out if it gets shielded. That way you can stay out of grab range when he goes to try to punish. If he tries to shield grab he will do it in place and miss, if he tries to dash grab, you will probably already be out of harms way.

short hop fair and nair are marths go to move in the neutral against mario. Don't let him get anywhere near you. If he does grab you, you can use counter or up-b as a combo breaker. Let me know if you have any other questions. The mario vs marth match-up is definitely in favor of Marth.
What do I do if I screw up the spacing on fair and he shields it and he is also right next to me?

Rawrbeque

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rawrbeque26
also dont forget to use counter while stuck in his combos, but be careful because if this becomes a habit they will just wait for you to counter and re-grab

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
try to immediately go into a jab or ftilt because mario is going to grab you 100% of the time
Also what do I do if he keeps trying to run me down and shrugs off everything I try to do? I'll probably be playing Mewtwo most of the time rather than marth btw.

Rawrbeque

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rawrbeque26
Mewtwo is also a favored matchup due to his floatiness and range. find openings to utilize short hop nuetral air which is a great combo starter. Also use your down and up tilts often, they out range any of marios moves. (mostly dtilt)

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Mewtwo is also a favored matchup due to his floatiness and range. find openings to utilize short hop nuetral air which is a great combo starter. Also use your down and up tilts often, they out range any of marios moves. (mostly dtilt)
That's another thing I'm having trouble with, trying to space wel as Mewtwo, luckily I asked those two mew boards for advice.

Rawrbeque

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rawrbeque26
Also remember that mario can be played as a rush down character but really lacks frontal approaches. This makes it hard for him t o relentlessly approach you. If he isnt approaching with nair or reverse back airs, then he is usually punishable because he is doing other stuff like rolling, jumping, or approaching with a laggy move like forward air.

Last edited:

Rawrbeque

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rawrbeque26
That's another thing I'm having trouble with, trying to space wel as Mewtwo, luckily I asked those two mew boards for advice.
play against a level 3 computer Mario and use Mewtwo to practice your spacing.

I did this in my Mario vs CFalcon match up because I was struggling and it helped a ton.

Rawrbeque

Smash Rookie
NNID
Rawrbeque26
Also, try not to get tilted when playing against a character. It affects your mental clarity and affects your gameplay. Mindset is a huge thing in this game, and anywhere you can make improvements is helpful

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Also, try not to get tilted when playing against a character. It affects your mental clarity and affects your gameplay. Mindset is a huge thing in this game, and anywhere you can make improvements is helpful
Welp, that's terrible. I have really bad anger issues.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I would avoid using CPUs as a training mechanism. Playing against others and observing their habits will actually help you much more than playing against an AI.

Now as far as outranging this 'grab-spamming, brain-dead character' (lol overrated), you should be spacing your fair and nair and watching what the Mario player throws out (usually it's bair, nair and grabs). Walking with Marth at times and using tilts is not bad, as Marth's walkspeed is really fast.

As Mewtwo, you can use your superior mobility to whiff punish him. But you need to watch what the Mario player is doing and learn how to counter him, otherwise you will get hit or grabbed.

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
I find decent success with Yoshi fighting Mario. He's got a double jump that allows him to at least escape up tilts, but up B will break it at zero. He's also really awkward to combo and has a super fast nair which is frame 3. Plus, his dunk outranges Mario's so you get more points for countering a dunk yourself. But moreover, you have to take into account your opponents habits as well as covering your own patterns.

Anter

Smash Rookie
Are you able to see how others outrange him now that you use him?

Pixel_

Smash Ace
No, I just play him really badly and expect results from it, help, my well being cannot take my horrible play any longer.
If you think you're playing badly, you should learn about fundamentals (Neutral game, etc.) if you haven't already. This video series is good for that, especially Part 4: https://youtu.be/EjBiuroTuTc

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Mate.
If you play Marth, can't win against Mario and you are worrying about mispacing Fairs
then I don't think you have a problem with the matchup as much as you really have a problem with lack of experience and underdeveloped fundamentals.
Hit the lab. Learn to space. Learn to punish his stuff.
Trying staying grounded and shielding a lot at kill percents. While you are holding shield, you keep your wits sharp to punish an Up Smash or to correctly get yourself out of something he might do with grab (he can't do that much out of grab at kill percents)

You also should work on your stress and anger issues. The title of this thread is pretty immature and offensive.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
If you think you're playing badly, you should learn about fundamentals (Neutral game, etc.) if you haven't already. This video series is good for that, especially Part 4: https://youtu.be/EjBiuroTuTc
I know about most of this stuff, I study them day and night, but I never really use them due to force of habit and tunnel vision ruining my game play.

Mate.
If you play Marth, can't win against Mario and you are worrying about mispacing Fairs
then I don't think you have a problem with the matchup as much as you really have a problem with lack of experience and underdeveloped fundamentals.
Hit the lab. Learn to space. Learn to punish his stuff.
Trying staying grounded and shielding a lot at kill percents. While you are holding shield, you keep your wits sharp to punish an Up Smash or to correctly get yourself out of something he might do with grab (he can't do that much out of grab at kill percents)

You also should work on your stress and anger issues. The title of this thread is pretty immature and offensive.
I've been hitting the lab for months now and I have no real way to figure out how to punish his things without help of a very flawed AI...Another problem is, I can never quite perform too many fast inputs without slipping up, If I try to space and fast fall diddy's fair, for example, I'll sometimes do a short hop nair instead. I also get scared of the smallest things in this game and they make me slip up..

Also, this topic is months old, and I get tilted easier than K9sbruce.

Last edited:
Top Bottom