• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do i make movement matter and keep good spacing??

Epic0

Smash Rookie
Just competed in my first tournament yesterday and picked up some solid stuff to work on among other things. So what I'm tryna know is how do I keep appropriate spacing, meaning such as being close enough to an opponent to attack/dodge if needed while applying pressure but with no empty movement. I'm saying this because while I do seem to get close enough to my opponents character, I'm always like a platforms length away (like 6 boxes in training mode). So while I try to apply pressure from dash dancing, it doesn't really go anywhere, it doesn't seem to apply pressure and so my movements are like empty, because im not attacking/grabbing or doing anything.
tldr: how do I apply pressure while being close enough to my opponent to attack or dodge without empty movement such as dash dancing

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
What seems to be happening is you're still a bit unfamiliar with your character's range in itself. To make the most of your dash dance or other movement options is to always be just far enough that you can get a hit in. If you're playing a Marth, Lucina or Chrom (Ike to a degree), you want to always be at swords length. Close enough to hit but always just far enough to not be hit, whenever possible (Obviously others with long reach can make this difficult).

You can dash dance/fox trot, empty hop or even attack in the air, even if their shielded provided you are spacing proper to not eat a big ol punish. Mix it up with a few empty dash dances and then go for a grab. Do well spaced aerials on their shield, then go for grab. So on. Master your character's reach, really. That's all a part of the same coin. If you're whiffing attacks/not punishing proper when they try to respond to your space invading, you've not really mastered your movement properly in the end.

Epic0

Smash Rookie
What seems to be happening is you're still a bit unfamiliar with your character's range in itself. To make the most of your dash dance or other movement options is to always be just far enough that you can get a hit in. If you're playing a Marth, Lucina or Chrom (Ike to a degree), you want to always be at swords length. Close enough to hit but always just far enough to not be hit, whenever possible (Obviously others with long reach can make this difficult).

You can dash dance/fox trot, empty hop or even attack in the air, even if their shielded provided you are spacing proper to not eat a big ol punish. Mix it up with a few empty dash dances and then go for a grab. Do well spaced aerials on their shield, then go for grab. So on. Master your character's reach, really. That's all a part of the same coin. If you're whiffing attacks/not punishing proper when they try to respond to your space invading, you've not really mastered your movement properly in the end.
Yooo thank you brodie appreciate the info fr

Top Bottom