• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I know if fit into the Smash community if I both suck at Ultimate and can't talk about many video games with people?

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
The title of this thread basically said everything, but yeah, I don't consider myself good at Ultimate. I can't consistently get results in tournaments. I still can't do combos on certain DI because the CPU is no help, and I can't think critically, adapt, or possess even a semblance of intelligence.
And I can't talk that much about different franchises in Smash, because I know people will think I'm a weirdo if I tell them my history with Nintendo is with Smash, some Mario spin-offs, and Kid Icarus: Uprising.
Without an ability to play well or to not be socially awkward, how do I know if I belong here in the first place?

Last edited:

DekuScrub_

Smash Rookie
Being a part of the community doesn't necessarily have to mean you have to be good at the games or you have to be the number one Nintendo fan, It's really all about being passionate about Smash and celebrating video games as a whole ya know. It's all about finding the kind of people you can resonate with, like maybe you could find others who are into Kid Icarus: Uprising or smtn along those lines.

Hopefully this helped :p

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The title of this thread basically said everything, but yeah, I don't consider myself good at Ultimate. I can't consistently get results in tournaments. I still can't do combos on certain DI because the CPU is no help, and I can't think critically, adapt, or possess even a semblance of intelligence.
And I can't talk that much about different franchises in Smash, because I know people will think I'm a weirdo if I tell them my history with Nintendo is with Smash, some Mario spin-offs, and Kid Icarus: Uprising.
Without an ability to play well or to not be socially awkward, how do I know if I belong here in the first place?
I have no idea if I'm good or not. I'm better than my friends, but I'm the only one who owns the game and I don't play online, so how could I know? Pretty sure I wouldn't go anywhere in a serious competition. I won a Melee tournament once, and I went second to another, but they were really, really small, and one was even improvised at a convention, so that doesn't mean anything. The competition aspect of Smash doesn't interess me the slightest. I'm just here to discuss some aspects of the game and to talk about the characters I would like to see playable. And honestly, I don't know if I "belong" in this community. To some degree, probably.

So the question is: what are you looking for? Why do you want to blend in this community? If you want to talk about Mario spin-off and Kid Icarus, I think it's totally possible, those are pretty popular. Do you like the way they are represented in Smash? Would you like something else, like a character, a stage, an item, an assist trophy? In short: just talk about whatever you want, and don't overthink. :)

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Honestly anyone can fit into the smash community. If you ever wanna play a few matches or some thing HMU.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The tournament side of the community is no where near the entire community.

You want to be part of the community? As long as you like to play the game and talk about it, you're in.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
As something of a misfit myself, I understand the feeling presented. I have not played a single Smash Bros. game in years, and that game was Brawl. If anyone does not fit, I most certainly do not. However, these forums are for fun, and if you enjoy having fun, then you fit in. It is just a matter of finding or making a topic that fascinates you and someone else, sharing your thoughts and listening to others'.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm not a super good Smash Bros player myself. I can understand why you might feel left out. I honestly felt discouraged at times when I defended the idea of obscure video game characters in Smash and people said they weren't 'popular' enough to be in Smash Bros which would leave me wondering if I was wasting my time. If you want, I can recommend some games if you want suggestions.

Top Bottom