• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I kill with this character? And what throw is good?

JRad

Smash Apprentice
I really like Toon Link because of his really good aerial mobility and ability to camp but I have troubles killing. I pretty much have only killed them with upairs or a hard read fsmash which just isn't reliable. Down air can't really kill as early anymore since it spikes them down to the stage before sending them up. What moves should i be using more? Also I find his dthrow to be disappointing since it sends them high above and behind you. Do you guys use any other throw?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I really like Toon Link because of his really good aerial mobility and ability to camp but I have troubles killing. I pretty much have only killed them with upairs or a hard read fsmash which just isn't reliable. Down air can't really kill as early anymore since it spikes them down to the stage before sending them up. What moves should i be using more? Also I find his dthrow to be disappointing since it sends them high above and behind you. Do you guys use any other throw?
Try using Toon Link's Down Smash. It kills perfectly for me. Toon Link's back throw is also reliable for securing kills at high %s.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Backthrow is a def throw when percentage is high, as for kill moves I use Fairs or Up Smash, also Upair kills at a high percentage, just catch them in the air.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
I mean Upsmash doesn't kil til like 160 and Uair is around the same percent if you hit them in the air. Fair is kinda meh. It just feel to me that Toon Link doesn't have kill moves. I haven't tried to land a downsmash yet but when you say "kills perfectly" that is so nondescriptive. Every move can kill so I am asking that you elaborate on that but good to know about his backthrow. Today I secured most of my kills with bair

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
I have found that charging up my smash attacks just a little bit before I hit them will kill my opponent (Lv9 cpu) near 120%.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
I mean Upsmash doesn't kil til like 160 and Uair is around the same percent if you hit them in the air. Fair is kinda meh. It just feel to me that Toon Link doesn't have kill moves.
Well it takes a long time to kill in this game how I see it. With Vectoring and everything most of the time you'll see people living at high percentages, you just have to find a good strong hit while he's on red and follow up. Usually the Up Smash doesn't fully kill (Unless you charge a bit) as you've said but the follow up and set up you place afterwards has a lot to come into play.
Most high percentage someones lived up on me on is like 160, but I find that normal, usually all games go that way if you don't kill them off early.

Cattribal

Smash Rookie
I usually just juggle people to high percentages with projectile combos, then kill with fair, upsmash, or bair. Sometimes I try to follow up the upsmash with an up-air or an aerial spin attack (risky).

blu.aki

Smash Rookie
NNID
deeeeeeee
3DS FC
0619-3835-7171
I mean Upsmash doesn't kil til like 160 and Uair is around the same percent if you hit them in the air. Fair is kinda meh. It just feel to me that Toon Link doesn't have kill moves. I haven't tried to land a downsmash yet but when you say "kills perfectly" that is so nondescriptive. Every move can kill so I am asking that you elaborate on that but good to know about his backthrow. Today I secured most of my kills with bair
i really cant find anything that kills efficiently! i only get kills with upair and back throws at really high % if im lucky and land Bair it kills.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
i really cant find anything that kills efficiently! i only get kills with upair and back throws at really high % if im lucky and land Bair it kills.
If you're only using those three moves to kill that might be your problem. Pretty much all of TL's smashes and Aerials have kill potential, though situational. I tend to use Fsmash for reads, Uair for recovering foes, and Dsmash/Bthrow out of shield. It'll also do you some good to pay attention to the weight of your foes. Light foes will be easier to kill upwards, while heavier ones are more susceptable to moves that launch them horizontally. Uthrow is actually a great kill move for characters like Ness and Kirby at really high percents, like I said it's all situational. TL doesn't have the best kill potential, (usually 120% and up in my experience) so don't be afraid to keep racking up damage. It'll provide openings and keep your opponent guessing.

blu.aki

Smash Rookie
NNID
deeeeeeee
3DS FC
0619-3835-7171
If you're only using those three moves to kill that might be your problem. Pretty much all of TL's smashes and Aerials have kill potential, though situational. I tend to use Fsmash for reads, Uair for recovering foes, and Dsmash/Bthrow out of shield. It'll also do you some good to pay attention to the weight of your foes. Light foes will be easier to kill upwards, while heavier ones are more susceptable to moves that launch them horizontally. Uthrow is actually a great kill move for characters like Ness and Kirby at really high percents, like I said it's all situational. TL doesn't have the best kill potential, (usually 120% and up in my experience) so don't be afraid to keep racking up damage. It'll provide openings and keep your opponent guessing.
Thanks for replying, everything you said is true but I always get punished when I Fsmash and I dont think TLink has 'the best kill potential' idk I was just hoping he would have some kinda kill move like CaptFalcon's Fspecial or something. It takes a lot of work to get a clean kill with TLink I'm pretty sure everyone can agree on that.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
He has a kill throw, that's reason enough to not have too many other kill moves. Kill throw + tether = pretty unique for TLink.

deech

Smash Cadet
I'd say reliable kill moves differ based on match-ups.

On opponents that you can camp easily, up smash is ideal because you can safely get them to a higher percentage and finish them off with a reliable and not as punishable smash.

Others (usually heavier/harder hitting heroes) I try to gimp off by back throwing from the edge after shielding a slow attack.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Use usmash the way fox would. OOS dash -> usmash. Will be more mobile and quick with a cstick.

Bair and Fair are good killers too, Feel free to jump off the ledge to edgeguard instead of toss projectiles over the edge - your aerials will be more effective.

And the mighty bthrow too. Ness's game revolves around his bthrow, but many other characters have killthrows too that they tend to ignore.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With how much range TL's grabs have, his bthrow by itself is an amazing kill move. His usmash is also really good especially if the opponent is above you, since it outranges most dairs and comes out quickly. Dsmash is very situational, but when used at the right time it's great. Fsmash is really overrated, imo. Baiting an opponent on the edge into jumping then uairing them is another good way to get a KO, or tossing enough projectiles into the air to bait the opponent into a uair or fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1418-7026-6335
If you cant seem to kill your opponent and he/she is around 150%, an Ftilt will sometimes kill as well. The trajectory has almost no vertical knockback so it is hard for some characters to recover and it gives quite good horizontal knockback in the higher percents.

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
Toon does have a little bit of a hard time killing. But i have found the most reliable kills have been from up smash, up B on the ground at hit percents, and almost any airal that isn't Nair. Plus his back throw is actually not too bad...It's not ness good, but it gets the job done.

Sweet Genius

Smash Rookie
Another way you could possibly kill is if your opponent is directly below a ledge, you can jump above them and throw a bomb downwards... it will spike and you can kill as low as 75%. Just bait them by jumping off stage with a bomb and they'll be forced to fall down lower and recover right next to the stage. It sounds complicated but it's really not, very useful.

(Im aware that this thread is a month old, but if you're still playing Toon link then this might help)

D

Deleted member

Dthrowing then watching what your opponent does afterwards and punishing accordingly seems to work pretty well. For example, dthrowing then doing a plain jump to bait an air dodge then punishing their landing lag with another dthrow, chasing them if they try to move away, tossing a boomerang at them if they tend to position themselves just right to get hit by it, etc. Also, I haven't seen this get mentioned, but uthrow > uair is another good use of TL's throws, and can KO as long as the opponent's % isn't so high that the uthrow sends them too high up to land a uair on.
:170:

Mangoh862

Smash Apprentice
A good one I've been using recently is a dash attack (only when it knocks them off stage) to up air then spin attack. The last hit of the SA will seal the deal.

LinkLuigi

Smash Rookie
NNID
LinkLuigi
Yeah as the others said b-throw is really good killer at high percents. I usually like to throw a boomerang ahead of the enemy> arrow>boomerang hits>b-throw

rockchalk596

Smash Rookie
One killing move I use is is Usmash. If I charge it a little bit before and the opponent is at about 120%, he's dead. Bthrow is also a good killing move at high %'s as well as Uair.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This thread is no longer necessary. Please check out the guide.
Also I'd like to bring to your attention the global rules, in particular the 'spam' section, specifically the parts that say "posts that simply restate things that have already been said" and "Posts that are meant to "bump" threads to the top of the thread listing, especially particularly old or particularly new threads".

Edit: The above holds true, but I'm unlocking it to see how things go.

Last edited:

jdubYOU

Smash Cadet
We know what kills, but here's a question: How do you guys deal with tense situations in a match, where it's the last stock and both you and the opponent are at high percent, and you know that with rage your opponent can easily smash you into oblivion? How do you keep your cool and setup a kill move? One strategy I find myself using frequently if the percent is neck and neck and I am against a character with no reliable kill throws, is to run away, bait, and block as much as possible to try to set up into a grab and then a back throw. But the only problem is this must be done precisely and sometimes requires a solid read. Because I have lost matches before due to missed grabs. Basically, it boils down to this: In high pressure situations, does TL have the tools to set up a kill and win? How do you do it?

SDMagic

Smash Rookie
We know what kills, but here's a question: How do you guys deal with tense situations in a match, where it's the last stock and both you and the opponent are at high percent, and you know that with rage your opponent can easily smash you into oblivion? How do you keep your cool and setup a kill move? One strategy I find myself using frequently if the percent is neck and neck and I am against a character with no reliable kill throws, is to run away, bait, and block as much as possible to try to set up into a grab and then a back throw. But the only problem is this must be done precisely and sometimes requires a solid read. Because I have lost matches before due to missed grabs. Basically, it boils down to this: In high pressure situations, does TL have the tools to set up a kill and win? How do you do it?
This is exactly what I've been having the biggest problem with. I've found that when it's the last stock and both players are at high percents players will usually start playing safer in general and default to the quickest and safest move that they can secure a kill with. Unfortunately, TL can't really kill with the safe options until very high percents (ftilt, backthrow in the middle of the stage). Because of this I thought the only two options were to either hard read which could fail, or zone out the opponent until those very high percents which gave the opponent more time to come up with a strategy to win.

Very recently though I've started applying one of the things that's almost completely unique to TL to his kill options, his ability to setup a wide array of situations. One of these setups that has been working extremely well for me is to throw the boomerang behind me then run through the opponent. If they spotdodge early I can pivot smash them to punish, if they roll backwards I can just keep running then smash to punish. If they roll through me or keep shielding I can time a Fsmash so that the first hit connects then the boomerang comes back so that if they keep shielding its safe, if they drop shield after the first hit the boomerang can combo them into the second hit or a different smash, and if they roll I have enough time to spotdodge myself. If they're brave enough to try to attack while I'm running right at them I could always jump cancel an up smash, running grab, or roll behind them.

This is just one of many possible setups. I think that what's going to be the key to getting consistent kills is coming up with tight setups tailored to the opponent on the fly. (basically lighter and safer reads than an all or nothing gamble on a grab or smash)

dantejb20

Smash Rookie
BThrow kills, and go for Usmash after racking some damage

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I tend to use Uthrow. It's trajectory is straight up which allows for a Uair follow up. If you can read the air dodge, it shouldn't be too difficult to hit them. Sometimes I'll go with Dthrow to throw them off a bit and try to punish according to what they do after that. I'll even chuck a boomerang at them to force the airdodge. Bthrow kills at awesome percents when near the ledge. Fthrow is rarely used unless I happen to grab them while facing the ledge but I like to try to bait them into my Bthrow.

For kill moves, TL's boomerang and bomb set up into Fair very well which has incredible KB. You can also just simply Fair them while weaving in and out of harms way due to being able to jump out of it. Sometimes, it gets difficult to connect those projectiles though which leaves you fishing for a kill set-up. However, it's not the end of the world. Usmash kills at very reasonable percents and comes out very quick. In my opinion it's TL's best grounded kill move since you can rely on it a lot more. Fsmash kills very early but is definitely a little more risky to use.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Use b-throw, u-smash, or d-smash for an awesome kill!

Top Bottom