• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I keep up with Jigglypuff?

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
So every time I'm pitted against a REALLY good Jigglypuff, trying to keep up with the thing is EXTREMELY tedious, annoying, and straight up difficult. Right now, I'm learning :rosalina: and trying to get her prepped for tournament play but Jigglypuff is just way too annoying to deal with in this MU. Maybe I am wrong (since I have only been practicing Rosalina on a consistent basis for about a week) but Jigglypuff's aerial mobility surpasses Rosalina's to the point where if she is in the air, trying to hit her (and I say "her" because calling Jiggs an "it" is stupid and confusing plus she has feminine qualities {her alternate skins}) is impossible. She is always free to spam airdodge and going sideways to chase her down in the air is CRAZY hard!!! When I go against a really good Jiggs player, I find myself always spamming dash attack, star bits, and jabs.

So yeah. How do I keep up with Jiggs in the Rosalina MU? I always try and follow her DI when she is trying to land but her multiple jumps, floatiness, and constant air dodge spamming make her too difficult of a target to hit as Rosalina. Any tips?

Edit

I have not yet started doing labs and studying Rosalina's moveset down to a science so that is why I am unsure about how fast her airspeed is in contrast to Jiggs's. If you guys have any info on this, let me know.

Last edited:

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
It is a sin for us to help anyone in the Jigglypuff MU. Just kidding. :p I'll be put on bread and water for 30 days for doing this, but I'll try to help.

You'll find kuroganehammer helpful for character stats and such. Taking some data from there:
Jigglypuff: Walk speed - 0.7 | Run speed - 1.155 | Air speed - 1.269
Rosalina: Walk speed - 1.0835 | Run speed - 1.632 | Air speed - 1

Jigglypuff's air dodge is intangible from frames 4 through 29, and the first active frame (when Jigglypuff can use another input) is 35. However, keep in mind any move used during the first active frame will have some start-up frames to it, so that gives you a little more time to punish. If you're mainly playing online, air dodges are more difficult to punish due to input delay/lag, and the amount of delay varies by the connection, so don't get too discouraged by that; it's something you can't have full control over. There's a lot of good in figuring out which of your moves have lasting hitboxes; can definitely help in this situation.

Being campy with Rosa can really be a pain for Jiggs. She has some great tools and frames for keeping us out and taking a % lead (jab combos, nair, falling fair, RAR bair, down tilt, and so on). Bad aggressive options are something Jigglypuff mains pretty much always have to keep an eye on, so if you really work on remaining calm and playing the game patiently, you'll fare better. Learn which moves are safe when spaced properly on shields.

Remember your OoS options. Jigglypuff requires some rather precise spacing, especially when the opponent shields (provided your shield is healthy and not at a level that can be broken with Jiggs' pound). Your OoS grab leads to good damage, scary up air situations, and a quick advantage state in general. If Luma is in place, there's also OoS nair, dair, and let's not forget Rosa's great up smash.

Protect Luma, and understand the value of walking. It is possible to bait and space a Jigglypuff so that when they move in for a hit, you can walk away just out of range (keeping Luma safe), and then punishing with a quick turnaround option (forward smash, for example). When you don't have Luma, Rosa's run speed is so fast compared to our air speed, you can literally choose to only engage us when your Luma is available, and then you also have fair's long-lasting and big hitbox to help keep us out (you can even retreat backwards with fair).

This isn't to say you can't go on the aggressive, but that will require some experience in knowing when Jiggs' moves are punishable, which ones, if they're bad landing options, yada yada, and playing defensively will give you a lot of time to learn. Just as an example, something I see some Jigglypuffs doing that you could try to keep an eye out for is using a SH dair; there's a lot of lag when Jiggs lands with dair. Our nair auto-cancels with a SH, but SHFFed nair can also leave a Puff open, so yeah, just like any other character, you want to know what your opponent can and can't get away with. Your grab being much better than ours along with decent run speed gives you a simple and effective punish, and there are other options as you get more comfortable.

If you've knocked Jigglypuff off-stage, quite a lot of your moves will be scary for Puff once you're used to waiting out an air dodge. You have up air, fair, dair, Luma ledge shenanigans like lunar landed dair/bair, and so on.

Anyway, I'll stop here (and let someone else fill in for what I've missed). Feel like I'm just rambling at this point. But I hope this has been of some use to you as you keep practicing. You'll get the hang of it!

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Jiggs v Rosa is actually a better matchup for jiggs since it's somewhat easier for us to get rid of Luma and you're right--our aerial mobility gives us an advantage. But to just put the secret recipe for defeating Jiggs basically, is if you make Jigglypuff approach you, if you outcamp the puff, you will break the player. Every time.

My guess is that if this happens, the player will try to use Jiggs' frame data to full hip airdodge and nair, so you shouldn't attack them in the air. You should stay grounded and punish Jiggs when you shield because that popular approach doesn't end well if it's shielded or misses. Jigglypuff players are also notorious for doing other stupid and predictable things in the air that are punishable. Just find the habit.

If the player tried to space you out, you might be able to use the c-stick to dash attack because they'll glide back just a bit, but with no lag! So be careful. If you're up against a good jiggs, it's going to be a tedious and boring time.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Jiggs v Rosa is actually a better matchup for jiggs since it's somewhat easier for us to get rid of Luma and you're right--our aerial mobility gives us an advantage. But to just put the secret recipe for defeating Jiggs basically, is if you make Jigglypuff approach you, if you outcamp the puff, you will break the player. Every time.

My guess is that if this happens, the player will try to use Jiggs' frame data to full hip airdodge and nair, so you shouldn't attack them in the air. You should stay grounded and punish Jiggs when you shield because that popular approach doesn't end well if it's shielded or misses. Jigglypuff players are also notorious for doing other stupid and predictable things in the air that are punishable. Just find the habit.

If the player tried to space you out, you might be able to use the c-stick to dash attack because they'll glide back just a bit, but with no lag! So be careful. If you're up against a good jiggs, it's going to be a tedious and boring time.
Okay! I appreciate your insight! Luckily, I play Little Mac a lot so naturally I choose not to approach her while she is airborne (unless I want to have some fun) but at the same time, I don't have to since I should always try to outcamp her and punish once she approaches and Little Mac has the tools to keep her out upon an aerial approach (by using U-tilt) and he can kill her super early. Not to mention down-angled F-smash, which is cancer for Jiggs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom