• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I improve at predicting

Jotun873

Smash Cadet
Sometimes i feel as someone could spam the same two moves all game and i would never figure it out. It doesnt help that i love playing heavies a lot either so i usually just get juggled to death.

Is there anyway to improve this myself or does it come down to "just play more" even if it feels i go nowhere?

P.S. any general tips for dealing with projectiles?

Last edited:

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Short hops help in dealing with projectile spam. Getting really good at parrying can also help, as well as learning which of your attacks can cancel out a projectile and learning the timing you need to throw the attack out and cancel a projectile.

One of the biggest things that has helped me get better at predicting how my opponent might react is watching my opponent's character throughout a match instead of my own. I'll be honest, I think it's a difficult habit to develop and it takes a bit of practice, but it may be worth a shot.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
As you continue to play the game, you’ll find that it’s more important to focus on your opponent rather than yourself. You should already have an idea of the stage layout and your character’s moves and traits; now inspect what your opponent is doing. Max concentration is achieved when you’re zooming in on one character only. You’ll have much better chances to react to their movements without getting distracted by your own; think methodically and go with their flow.

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
On top of everything that has been said, I'd like to add that something that helped me is to say out loud what my opponent is doing. What ledge option he chooses, what does he do when I'm off of stage, is he shielding a lot, dodging a lot, attacking constantly?

Answering that kind of question out loud helped me a lot to understand and read my opponents.

This advice only applies to online play obviously ^^

Top Bottom