• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I go against Roy?

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
I'm talking about the fire emblem character, I always seem to have trouble with him. His attacks seem to have NO end lag at all and it's nearly impossible for me to attack him.

I went against a Roy recently with the Doc, he's really good. He short hops around with neutral air, constantly goes on the offense and I can't match his speed. Pills slow him down a bit, I shield a lot (and had it broken twice) but I can't seem to attack him very well. Only grab -> Up Air seems to do the trick and pecking him when he makes mistakes.

Help please.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
The biggest issue in this MU isn't actually Roy's speed, but rather his disjoints and raw power - you're quite susceptible to edgeguards and just straight-up being knocked out too far as Doc, but on the other hand, so is Roy (Arguably, moreso than you.), and the one thing you have undoubtedly better than him is your combos (-and projectile!).

You just kind of have to space him out and force and opening, then capitalise on it. Play patiently, keep your distance, and remember to always contest him offstage (mostly, try to steal his jump), even if it's just with pills. His offstage is pretty damn poor, including his recovery, so don't be too afraid to get out there, just be prepared incase things go wrong (His Up-B has super armour for example, so try not to contest him when you think the move will start.).

It should also be noted that a few of your moves can beat out some of his more irritating strings. Use N-air (Frame 3), U-air (Frame 4, can start combos if used well!) or even Up-B (Frame 3, can kill, notorious combo breaker, just be careful not to whiff and get punished.) if you need to to break out of poor situations.

You also have a semi-spike Smash attack at your disposal (D-Smash) which is especially strong against characters with poor recoveries like Roy. Make the most of this advantage in particular.

As a final MU specific note: Roy's Counter can be a pain in the ass, so if they start getting it often, chances are, you can condition them and bait it out and beat it with grabs, or just delayed attacks in general. -infact, this would be a perfect time to use D-smash since a baited counter gives you a little time to charge up your punish!

Also, while this is something I do in most MUs, I feel it's good to note anyway - short-hop B-airs are really good at spacing and will often contest and pressure your opponent since they auto-cancel. You can even mix-up a B-reversed Pill if they're taking their sweet time approaching or staying just out of range patiently, or if you just want a more direct pressure method since a pill is more likely to reach them. Overall, Doc arguably fights better up close when you know how to make the use of his tools when you have your back turned (Like the longer backwards range of U-smash.). So keep that in mind, and keep on your toes!

Those are the only tips I really have, but I hope they help!

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
A. We don't need new threads for each question when we have a thread for Q & A. Please stop making new threads.
B. Roy's disjoints aren't that scary, compared to Marth's, Cloud's, and the like. His mobility IS the factor that helps him get in and out safely, as his moves aren't particularly fast or safe.
C. Roy gets comboed harder due to his very high fall speed. So learn your combos and don't just down throw up air him whenever you get grabs.
D. Roy's recovery is worse than yours, since it consists of one recovery option that has to be angled one way or the other, and it can be beaten by moves such as Tornado. Double Edge Dance doesn't stall, nor does it snap to the ledge, or give him momentum. All of this + high fall speed make it hard for Roy to mix up his recovery.
E. If you are shielding too much, then try to bait your opponent. You can microspace with back airs (or just bait an aerial and punish OOS).

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I'm no Roy main, but I used to play him lots on his release (I used to secondary him).

I feel that against Roy, Doc must be mainly wary of his speed. Of course Doc (and Mario/Luigi for that matter) struggle a bit against characters that have noticeably more range then them, but due to the nature of Roy's sweetspot, it's not as scary as Marth or Cloud for example, due to the fact that Roy will be playing much more up close, where as the others will/can play at a distance, where Doc cannot punish them as well. Roy's attacks that he will be using most often (such as Nair and Fsmash) actually have more endlag/landing lag than others and are more punishable when whiffed. Bait Roy to come in with Pills. When Roy is standing doing SH Nairs, he is wanting you to approach. You can counteract this with Pills. When Roy comes in close, don't try anything too fancy, ever. His aerial approaches are actually very unsafe on shield because non auto cancel, so shield his aerial approaches and shield grab them, Up B OoS, Utilt etc. Use your faster options.

Roy's sweetspots are tougher to punish due to their high shield stun. However, if you shield it, be patient, and wait to see how the Roy reacts on failing his move. He might roll away, he might just shield himself (which you can grab). Try and understand his habits, as his speed can overwhelm you if he manages to get moves in. Another good tactic is if you feel you know a Fsmash is coming, cape it. Roy will be stuck in a bit of endlag, enough for you to get a smash in if he is in kill range.

As mentioned above, his off stage game is poor. He can't go offstage for long, and his recovery is predictable. Pills are great for edgeguarding.

PsychoPuff23

Smash Rookie
with samus it's easy to deal with roy.
use your projectiles and he gonna have a lot of problems for kill you

DJSKRELP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NotApplicable
3DS FC
3024-8713-4194
Gimp city boisss

Try to snipe him with pills, and remember cape is great as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom