• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I get faster?

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
I have been trying to main Capt Falcon, but I feel like i'm going slower than most vids and streams I see of him being played. I'm obviously doing something wrong.

What am I missing?

Is it a half hop/jump?

Sprint cancel?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
You just need to drill the character. Look up his BnBs (bread and butters; ie, common combos/actions), and practice those. As you play the character more and more, you'll be able to move between actions and setups easier. It's just a matter of playing more.

Frankenstein_Gaming

Smash Rookie
NNID
FsteinGamn
Switch FC
6558-0854-8683
You just need to drill the character. Look up his BnBs (bread and butters; ie, common combos/actions), and practice those. As you play the character more and more, you'll be able to move between actions and setups easier. It's just a matter of playing more.
Thanks for this! I'll just keep playing

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sup guys i main falcon!! go into training mode and find out the lag of every move and moving as soon as the lag ends!

JackyT

Smash Rookie
NNID
jackyturbo
While we're here, i'd like to ask : are there any other Smash 4 Falcon mains that feel that there is something very off with the movement in Ultimate?

Dashing, dash dancing, pivoting, it all feels so off! Dashing feels like there's input lag, it's got this weird "hop hop" feel it it, not to mention that sometimes i try to dash and i fast-walk instead, very frustrating stuff.

Anyone else feels that?

I've been reading a bit and i'm a bit confused, between the input lag debate, the new buffer system... The only thing i'm sure of is that in Smash 4, it felt so perfect and responsive, while here, it makes me want to scream sometimes because i keep missing punishes that would have been a sure hit in Smash 4.

CVismundCygnus

Smash Rookie
While we're here, i'd like to ask : are there any other Smash 4 Falcon mains that feel that there is something very off with the movement in Ultimate?

Dashing, dash dancing, pivoting, it all feels so off! Dashing feels like there's input lag, it's got this weird "hop hop" feel it it, not to mention that sometimes i try to dash and i fast-walk instead, very frustrating stuff.

Anyone else feels that?

I've been reading a bit and i'm a bit confused, between the input lag debate, the new buffer system... The only thing i'm sure of is that in Smash 4, it felt so perfect and responsive, while here, it makes me want to scream sometimes because i keep missing punishes that would have been a sure hit in Smash 4.
dude i feel the same way. i bought a second switch for smash and i'm very upset with the movement in the game. falcon feels very different in this compared to smash 4. what used to be a dashing attack in smash 4, is now a running stop jab, sometimes a forward tilt or smash comes out. when i want to run sometimes i fast walk as well. all these things will cost you the match too, its so frustrating. what also throws me off is the hold buffer, and the jump+a buffer as well, it ****s with my uair and nair strings. also i feel every time i want to short hop in smash 5 i high jump or phantom footstool all the time, and when i want to full hop i short hop. anyone else feel they phantom footstool much more in this game compared to smash 4? i spent nearly 500 canadian on this altogether, i feel pretty bummed out. but im not ready to throw in the towel yet. maybe we just played smash 4 for so long it will take a while to get that out of our muscle memory and force smash 5's movement into our muscle memory. but right now it feels like everything is off. everything about his movement. and then i saw fatality enjoying falcon and saying hes amazing it got me pretty upset

Last edited:

Hugopulous

Smash Rookie
Hey all! I was initially in the same boat as all of you, but after putting in quite a few hours understanding the differences in the movement I started to really enjoy playing Falcon again. It could potentially be control layouts? I'm not sure, but I'll post mine here as well as some key tips that have helped me nail movement:
Note that I use a pro controller to play:
ZL and L = Grab, ZR and R = Shield
X and Y = Jump, A = Attack, B = Special
Right stick = Tilt (debating whether tilt is better here than Smash attacks or not)
Other Settings: Rumble - Off, Smash Attack B+A - On, Stick Jump - Off (I prefer this, but I'm sure others will keep it on), Stick Sensitivity - Normal (haven't played around with this much)

You can do a short hop aerial by clicking A+X at the same time, thus making Nair strings fairly easily - just remember to fast fall after each Nair!
You need to put in practice time with dashing into tilts, smash attacks, jabs, etc. Once you get the timing down, things should feel a bit smoother.

Again, this is my preferred layout, but it's helped me with my movement. Hopefully this helps some people out!

King_Shimmy

Smash Rookie

To me the word “clunky” and “awkward” come to mind a bit when I was first playing the game.

I’ll say that in Smash 4 I played a very movement heavy captain falcon. I used a lot of fake steps/perfect pivots/ to juke opponents, and to even position myself for edge guards. I will say what honestly made the biggest difference for me is like Hugo said just spending a bit more time to familiarize oneself with the mechanics. (For instance: when I would be on edge guard situation, I would usually perfect pivot towards the ledge to position myself backwards to prepare for off stage b-air pressure. In ULT I had to unlearn that I put as it would cause me to Just dash back and forth, but rather I’ve learned now to do the initial dash and buffer a turn around.) That being said, I definitely was very familiar with the smooth movement in Smash 4 and the smallest change that produced the biggest change for me was to change stick sensititiviry to high.

I would honestly say that making those minor changes will yield positive results.

Also... you clowns better Falcon Ditto me. Moves will be shown.

CVismundCygnus

Smash Rookie
Just curious. Why?
my fiance and i both heavily play smash. i have split lunches sometimes 2 hours long sometimes 1 hour long. i'd like to play smash for those lunches, but my fiance would also like to play at that time. so i bought a second one.

Lypion

Smash Cadet
I think what mostly makes a character look so "fast" is the combination on good dashdancing, shorthoppinng and fastfalling. Just practise the timing and your gameplay should feel much faster.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
my fiance and i both heavily play smash. i have split lunches sometimes 2 hours long sometimes 1 hour long. i'd like to play smash for those lunches, but my fiance would also like to play at that time. so i bought a second one.
Makes sense!

DoubleGunz

Smash Rookie
I have been having the same issues with Falcon. He moves so strangely, and I'm constantly getting mis-inputs. ( I only play online )

I find it hard to practice movement offline and then go online and try to have everything work the same.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
I have been having the same issues with Falcon. He moves so strangely, and I'm constantly getting mis-inputs. ( I only play online )

I find it hard to practice movement offline and then go online and try to have everything work the same.
Yes dude this 100%. I get so thrown off by the extra lag online. Even if its not explicitly "laggy" theres always increased input delay and its just downright annoying.

Top Bottom