• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I get better at For Glory?

RoyalUmbreon

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is where I am supposed to post this thread (I'm new) anyways
Yesterday was my first day on For Glory and I got my butt kicked 10 times in a row.
Here is a video of me vs a Mega Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wAMyADDHYo
I had lots of mis inputs (for example that mid air neutral b, and also timed my aerials wrong, giving mega man the chance to hit me with his aerials) I know, excuses, but still true
Anyone mind giving advice/criticism? I am not sure if I have another replay saved as Kirby. I honestly don't care if it's offensive , I need to get better. Thanks.

Last edited:

FKA Kobra

Smash Cadet
NNID
super-kobe-10
Alright heres what I saw.
First of all most of the match I see you trying to approach mega man but not being able to get in or do anything. Mostly because your spacing was bad and you didn't really put much pressure on him. Your playing kinda a runaway mega man so whenever you get close to him he will probably just attack and roll away. Because of this you have to punish him when he is attacking or predict his back rolls. You didn't punish his attacks much really and i even saw you roll away from him sometimes which is never a good thing to do when you need to get close. Also when you actually did get a hit on him you didn't do any good followups or anything, like when I saw you hit him with a d-air but then did a up-smash right after when he wasn't really in kill percent.
So in all work on your approaching, spacing, combo/follow up game, punish game, and just overall learn how you want to play kirby. Anyway let me stop typing so much.

RoyalUmbreon

Smash Rookie
First of all most of the match I see you trying to approach mega man but not being able to get in or do anything. Mostly because your spacing was bad and you didn't really put much pressure on him. Your playing kinda a runaway mega man so whenever you get close to him he will probably just attack and roll away. Because of this you have to punish him when he is attacking or predict his back rolls. You didn't punish his attacks much really and i even saw you roll away from him sometimes which is never a good thing to do when you need to get close. Also when you actually did get a hit on him you didn't do any good followups or anything, like when I saw you hit him with a d-air but then did a up-smash right after when he wasn't really in kill percent.
So in all work on your approaching, spacing, combo/follow up game, punish game, and just overall learn how you want to play kirby. Anyway let me stop typing so much.
Yeah, thanks, I'm sure I could have played him better, but this player completely threw me off as I have never played a person like that before.

RoyalUmbreon

Smash Rookie
I completely forgot about his down tilts and I wasn't sure I could follow up on some of the attacks as he went pretty far.

Last edited:

Zero2

Smash Rookie
You're definitely better off playing people personally on the same TV over playing For Glory. For Glory 'does' help, though. I consider it a sort of "weight training". Without a doubt, it's WAY better than what we had to deal with in the Brawl days.
For Glory can be slightly laggy, even with a good connection. It's slight, but there's definitely enough of a delay between your input and what actually happens on the screen. This seems to get worse the more precise you get offline.
Though, play some For Glory and then play someone personally offline and you may notice an improvement without the lag getting in the way.
I haven't played enough friend matches online to say if it's the same there or not.

Last edited:

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
For Glory is unforgiving with the combination of lag and the broad range of characters and play styles. Early on you'll be encountering new stuff frequently. FG is great for exposing you to a variety of skill levels.

Save your videos and go over them frequently. If a match frustrated you, label it that way so you can analyze how you played in that state. If a SD affected the match label it SD. When you catalogue your replays you can easily pick out what to review and watch how you can improve. Your replays will teach you what bad habits you didn't even notice you have.

Take breaks from FG and spend some time with a personal sparring partner from time to time. Also, level 8 cpu can help you work on accuracy while level 9 cpu can promote abusing predictable air dodges and defense in general.

Some people will say all cpu training is trash and they react too different than real players. I say if it helps you improve it is relevant.

Don't fall into the trap of training the same way frequently for little to no improvement. The saved replays will track your growth. If you aren't getting better either change your training methods or explore new characters.

YOUTUBE. Look up my smash corner, Beefy Smash Dudes, and anything that will teach you techs, tips, and match ups. Watch the pros play the characters you main. Playing is great, but so is studying.

Random select for at least a few hours a week. As you improve some characters you thought were not for you might actually start to shape up into a better direction.

xX_01dxBo0Z3r_Xx

Banned via Warnings
in for glory make sure u pick little cac since he is always ss tier and wins every matchup including against the random slot and he has the best aeriel kill option in the game. u can also pick bozr and charge his limit break and just side b the guy and zero to death true combo.

also for glory is best place to practise and get ready for tourny since u face against good players in that mode. i've faced about 2000 players in that mode and i am actually 2000-0 win streak and thats because i play little cac and bozer. i hope this helps you...

Top Bottom