• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I figure out which texture is which?

Wind47

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4571-0171-1008

So I'm trying to make a custom texture for green marth but I just see a ton of random weird textures and I have no idea which ones are which. Some of them I can tell what they are but most of them I can't tell what they are.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
The texture you have highlighted (as well as the ones below and above it, probably) are textures for the model that appears when the character goes off-screen, to appear in the magnifier. Most, if not all, characters have these magnifier textures. You can often tell them apart by their relatively low resolution, relative to how much area of the character they represent. For example, a low-detail or low-res texture that looks like it's for an entire arm (especially if it looks like there are already other higher-detail arm textures in the file, which would then be for the "main" model).

Typically, a surefire way to test what texture is what, is to edit some of them using uncommon colors, letters and/or numbers, or put a grid over it (so you know how the texture stretches or deforms as it conforms to the model), then save your changes and boot up the game to see what actually changed.

One method I often use for quickly testing what textures will look like while I'm editing and tweaking them is described here.

Wind47

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4571-0171-1008
The texture you have highlighted (as well as the ones below and above it, probably) are textures for the model that appears when the character goes off-screen, to appear in the magnifier. Most, if not all, characters have these magnifier textures. You can often tell them apart by their relatively low resolution, relative to how much area of the character they represent. For example, a low-detail or low-res texture that looks like it's for an entire arm (especially if it looks like there are already other higher-detail arm textures in the file, which would then be for the "main" model).

Typically, a surefire way to test what texture is what, is to edit some of them using uncommon colors, letters and/or numbers, or put a grid over it (so you know how the texture stretches or deforms as it conforms to the model), then save your changes and boot up the game to see what actually changed.

One method I often use for quickly testing what textures will look like while I'm editing and tweaking them is described here.
Thanks planning to use the method you linked :)

Top Bottom