• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I fight Snake as Shulk?

AlteanGeneral

Smash Rookie
Hello! I've had a lot of trouble against snake recently as Shulk, anyone else having trouble with this matchup?

NNID
Marsalis
Switch FC
SW-5740-6547-7308
Hey AlteanGeneral, yes I have issues dealing with Snake as a match-up. Snake generally tries to control the field using his grenades. This limits Shulks options when using approaches utilizing speed. I beat a decent Snake the other day utilizing jump to limit his control of the field, and aerial mix-ups to have him guessing where to protect himself. If you can bait him into detonating his C4, you can get in close w/ buster or smash at high damage. Since he's going to try and keep you at range, your game is the opposite as his (and typically all zoners) and you have to make your "personal" up close time count.

Throw out some Nair's safely leading into Fair's w/ speed, or buster and try to finish with smash. Don't let Snake (or other zoners) discourage you, your monado arts are your best friend, and their worst nightmare. Mix it up, keep em guessing, and rely on Nair! Hope this helps.

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
I sadly believe that Snake is probably Shulks hardest matchup. Certainly not impossible though. Be VERY careful with buster and Smash art, ideally leave them for when he's offstage, the movement arts are your friend. Also, A tricky thing to do is purposely blow both of you up while you're in shield art, this'll put you at an advantage.

Shulks massive hitboxes can really work against him here as you'll mostly be chopping grenades by accident. On the other hand, nikita gets stuffed out by the same big aerials so getting back to the stage isn't as hard as it can be for others.

As with all zoners, keep your cool, take your sweet time and see if they have a pattern that's exploitable.

SaMiChi

Smash Rookie
Fought a good Snake yesterday, or at least was ranked high. I wasn't familiar with the matchup but after losing horribly the first game, I went on to win the games after, 2 or 3 more. I play pretty aggressive, but that didn't work well with Snake, I took my time to take note of his moves. Play it patient and make a move when theres an opening, once you're in, be aggressive, otherwise stay a bit back to not get overwhelmed by explosives.

I've taken some early stocks by harassing off stage. Use Jump Art to get high or offstage where Snake usually likely to recover. Snake recovery can be easily gimped with Shulk's Manado, and Jump and Smash arts. Also Air Slash to get that extra height. I also found that Shield art and using Counter will break up any strings of explosives.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock

Smash Apprentice
Main snake now and shulk in smash 4. So I guess I'll look at this from the other side and see what annoys me.

People in my face that don't let me set traps/grenades/c4, which is why I think speed could work well here. The issue I'd see is the low jump height could get hit by grenades or c4 fairly easily.

Try and find a pattern. How do they set traps? 1 grenade? 2? Where's the c4 usually placed(this can change by a pretty wide margin depending on opponent/matchup). Usually I like to place c4 on the side near the edge, but not right on it to control one side of the stage or on a platform.

When recovering I'll usually air Dodge to ledge of go high and B-reverse a grenade, is it possible for shulk to up air in these situations without taking an explosion? Could lead to an advantageous situation.

Smash mode seems too risky, snake can have many hitboxes out at once and a stray hit could lead to death. Jump may want to be saved for recovery. I liked an above posters idea on using shield and trading hits with grenades, may work in theory.

Top Bottom