• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I fight Little Mac as a Mario Main??

Lynxknight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lynxknight
So... I play Smash competitively and I wanna start getting into the tournament scene a little later on this year, but I have a very difficult time against Little Mac while using Mario. How do I go about fighting him?? I seem to get caught in his jab often even with perfect shielding and trying to d-i away. I also have a hard time dealing with his invincibility with his smashes. Could someone give me some pointers??

Icebound

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1650-2557-8575
I'd say get comfortable with using Mario's down smash on edge of the stage right when the opponent is trying to recover. It has very good horizontal knockback and frame data. Makes it pretty easy to gimp Little Mac's already weak recovery.

Lynxknight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lynxknight
Thanks a bunch for the reply! Honestly...I never even thought about that! I'll definitely try that and see if I can get more success while fighting Little Mac! Thank you!

link2702

Smash Champion
Mac is easy if you use Mario especially. Macs up b doesn't automatically snap to the ledge like others, both Marios cape and fluud are great at pushing Mac away to his death. Once Mac is offstage you basically have a free kill against him as Mario

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
Don't play as aggressive against Mac in the neutral. If you can get your hands on him and get him in the air you can do big damage, but should probably play more cautious and patient on the ground.

Also of course he is very vulnerable off the ledge and Mario is one of the best at taking advantage of that with FLUDD, cape, and good aerial moves.

Lynxknight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lynxknight
Thank you all so much for the replies! All of your information has helped a lot! I had the wrong idea while fighting him. I would go for stage spikes and stuff when that is just completely not needed. Cape and FLUDD work very well against him. I honestly never really noticed that Little Mac doesn't automatically snap to the ledge!

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Your next time facing a Little Mac, edge guard using cape and fludd and the match will probably be less than a minute...

Lynxknight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lynxknight
I did exactly as you guys advised and guess what? Had NO problem beating a FG glory, Mac! :D I think I was making the match up a LOT harder than it ACTUALLY is. It's easy to make it virtually impossible for Mac to get back to the stage. I can understand why he is such a low tier character now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom