• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with projectiles as the Plant?

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
I've been enjoying Piranha Plant so far; he has some fun combos, can edgeguard, and has a few solid zoning options. But on top of all of these things, he's super slow in the air and could also be faster on the ground. Because of this, I am struggling against projectile characters. Especially the quick ones, like Young Link.

With his slow projectile speed, I can't out-camp him; and because of how slow his approach is, combined with a terrible grab range, I can't get in at all. Does anyone have a few tips on how to fight these types of characters?

Gleam

Smash Ace
Try approaching through different combinations of shields, jab and tilts. Many straightforward projectiles can actually be negated with a simple jab. You can also try approaching by utilizing Down-B which provides both a great amount of range but also super armour to deal with projectiles. In fact, if you use Down-B while tilting over, most Young Link's arrows will actually miss Plant as they fly over him. Poison will also put a halt to the bombs YL throws too.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
A lot of what Gleam said applies to the Belmont match-up as well;

Poison actually negates Holy Water and lets it bounce off of it, while you can easily hit the cross with your attacks to negate it.
Down B works fine as some sort of Zone Breaker move for me as well, since smaller projectiles do not make you flinch. Try to close the gap enough to get into position for a precise down B strike, then go in or create pressure with your own tools.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
Ah, thanks! I haven't been using down b that much in general, which is a pity since it's such a good move. I will try to put it to good use next time. Also I don't think the down b armor can take stronger hits, as I've been slapped out of it before. (But most projectiles shouldn't matter too much. Save Samus shot.)

Last edited:

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Use down b super armor and/or also jump and use patooie in the air. Always works for me.

+PLUS+

Smash Rookie
As long as there are platforms, anytime I’m fighting a projectile heavy character or a very small character who can combo, I’ll Hop around back and forth on them. After about 10 seconds of this, the enemy will grow impatient, hate you, and typically abandon whatever strategy he had to blindly pursue your vile plant body. Once he’s forced to play your game, you look for an opening, nail some combos, and make your opponent reevaluate his life. If you gain a stock advantage, quit playing like that; it’s annoying. But if you’re down a stock or two. Put up that tent. Camp ’em out. Lots of people will crack when you don’t play the way they expect you too. Good luck.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
As long as there are platforms, anytime I’m fighting a projectile heavy character or a very small character who can combo, I’ll Hop around back and forth on them. After about 10 seconds of this, the enemy will grow impatient, hate you, and typically abandon whatever strategy he had to blindly pursue your vile plant body. Once he’s forced to play your game, you look for an opening, nail some combos, and make your opponent reevaluate his life. If you gain a stock advantage, quit playing like that; it’s annoying. But if you’re down a stock or two. Put up that tent. Camp ’em out. Lots of people will crack when you don’t play the way they expect you too. Good luck.
Huh? If you have a stock lead you should 100% continue to be annoying to tilt them more.

Top Bottom