• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I counter Richter/Simon

T3RT1S

Level Up!
NNID
pokeLogZ
Hi everyone, I can never seem to close the gap between me and Simon/Richter. I usually play as Peach/Daisy, Young Link and To be decided (TBD). I can imagine that I should just short hope with peach/daisy and float down air them but every time I try they use their holy cross. Thanks you for the help in advanced.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You should probably be asking on the boards of the character you actually use, not the board of the character giving you trouble.

Ruvido

Smash Rookie
I used to play Peach so I can give you some speculation (can't test anything right now. Don't have the game :( ). I'd expect for this type of matchup you're really going to have to make use of your movement options. Dash in and out of whip range with dash dances and fast fall floats at various heights (make sure you're close enough to the ground to block holy cross). Another one of the best things you can try to do is always have a turnip in your hand. It gives you a good ranged oos option, which since you're having trouble getting in is where you're going to be. What I'm imagining is you block holy cross (on the ground), then toss the turnip and follow it in. Or you jump over the cross and toss the turnip at the right range.

If the whip can cancel out the turnips though, idk you're just going to have to be even smarter about movement I guess. Maybe even surprise side-b's?

With Young Link I can totally see a camp battle being viable. YL has a lot more projectiles that can come out quicker, so you can also make it hard for the Belmonts to move around. Short hop arrow cancels pretty quickly. And you don't really even have to charge arrow for that long to get it to travel a pretty good distance across the stage. It's faster than holy cross for sure at full screen. Use bombs like turnips but with more stage control options.

Last edited:

SaintFlame

Smash Rookie
I would change to a quicker & less floaty character. Simon/Richter I find, is best countered with a play style that focuses on quickly getting to the opponent and dealing hard damage. I find Roy to be an effective character, however this is merely my opinion.
Hi everyone, I can never seem to close the gap between me and Simon/Richter. I usually play as Peach/Daisy, Young Link and To be decided (TBD). I can imagine that I should just short hope with peach/daisy and float down air them but every time I try they use their holy cross. Thanks you for the help in advanced.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Main thing to remember about the Belmonts is that they have just about the worst recoveries in the game, tether nonwithstanding. Using projectiles to gimp is a very safe bet and can lead to kills or SDs, especially if 2nd jump is already burnt. Belmonts can throw a cross boomerang while off stage and still recover, but usually won't use the axe since the end lag often means an SD unless they're fairly high above stage level. You can use that to your advantage by coming in from a high diagonal approach - either to hit him or to force him to use his UpB too soon which will lead to an SD.

Simon and Richter are obviously best at midrange, and I find tend to perform best when on the defensive rather than on offense. If you're Young Link, try hanging back and getting chip damage with projectiles to force him to approach you, then punish any mistakes.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Try to use a big slow character without any projectiles or reflecting ability, maybe Bowser or Donkey Kong.

Top Bottom