• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I chain Mario's Uairs properly?

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm wondering if there's a formula for notation regarding them. After 30%, I don't think I can properly shorthop Uairs repeatedly since my enemy keeps airdodging out or jumping away.

How much fastfalling is required?

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey Rango, I remember you from the Ike boards. Seems like a few of us ended up over here haha

Anyways, to answer your question I don't normally use fastballs between my uairs, though I know there are several different ways to go about utilizing the move. My method involves me using a rising uair, then as soon as I can, input another, immediately mash my double jump to hit with another rising uair, and then finish with one more uair at the apex of my second jump. Often times, you'll have to mix it up with a bair or nair if the opponent starts to DI away from the direction that you're going.

To be completely honest, it really just comes with time. When I was picking Mario up I was lucky to get 2 uairs in a string, now sometimes I get upwards of 6 (with the help of platforms of course). A lot goes into it though, whether it be reacting to DI, understanding the opponents fall speed/combo breakers- all that good stuff. May sound complicated but it's actually pretty easy, you'll catch on a lot faster than you think.

Best of luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Hey Rango, I remember you from the Ike boards. Seems like a few of us ended up over here haha

Anyways, to answer your question I don't normally use fastballs between my uairs, though I know there are several different ways to go about utilizing the move. My method involves me using a rising uair, then as soon as I can, input another, immediately mash my double jump to hit with another rising uair, and then finish with one more uair at the apex of my second jump. Often times, you'll have to mix it up with a bair or nair if the opponent starts to DI away from the direction that you're going.

To be completely honest, it really just comes with time. When I was picking Mario up I was lucky to get 2 uairs in a string, now sometimes I get upwards of 6 (with the help of platforms of course). A lot goes into it though, whether it be reacting to DI, understanding the opponents fall speed/combo breakers- all that good stuff. May sound complicated but it's actually pretty easy, you'll catch on a lot faster than you think.

Best of luck
Thanks. I'm gonna need it if I'm going to win Super Smash Con.

Does Training mode help any, or is it better to just use it against opponents since they DI?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Bring the Ike out in Grand Finals. Remember where we came from!

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Bring the Ike out in Grand Finals. Remember where we came from!
I might just do that regardless of who my opponent is.

My main focus is to escape pools. But you know me, that goal alone is never good enough for me. Always gotta take it one step farther.

D

Deleted member 269706

I might just do that regardless of who my opponent is.

My main focus is to escape pools. But you know me, that goal alone is never good enough for me. Always gotta take it one step farther.
Haha spoken as a true Ike main.

And I didn't see your question above, but I hardly ever practiced with Mario in training mode, just brought him out in friendlies at my weeklies and learned that way. Though it wouldn't hurt to try if you don't have access to many live opponents. Afterall, DI isn't that potent in this game. You may want to give a try just to get a feel for it, it won't hurt you.

Best of luck out there

Disappointed Donger

Smash Rookie
I don't use Mario much, so I can't say much on the topic, but rather than another u-air you could try your up special. That, or you could try an actual combo and not figuring out what %'s you can just spam one move repeatedly at.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You may not be able to use a SH u-air combo at 30%. I'd have to try that myself to see if what I'm saying is correct, or if someone more knowledgeable could post something about it here. Otherwise, you just might need to use a stage with platforms, or you just may have to do a full jump u-air with another full jump u-air.

I noticed Mario seems like he lacks combos against some characters starting at 0%, such as Samus. A d-throw to u-tilt will only land once, but as of recent, I've taken this a step further, due to this knowledge I have. If you do a d-throw to SH u-air, you should be able to land it at least twice on your opponent. You could also do a d-throw to jab 3x. That is actually a true combo I tested in Training Mode. D-throw to Up-B works as well, especially if you're able to get in several u-tilts before using Up-B

I know I digressed, but I wanted to throw this out from what I learned. Mario is fun, but I feel he's too basic. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashemon

Smash Rookie
Ever since I started practicing fox a few weeks back and adapted to clawing with him I found it is useful with Mario in order to get the most out of your up airs from a short hop. If you go into the training room and claw with fox for a while then bring what you've learned from clawing to Mario it will help a lot.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
As a side note, if you don't want to use claw grip, you can get all the benefits of it without it by setting a shoulder button to jump. It's how i play.

Top Bottom