• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do i become a mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
You can't.

Seriously, new moderators are only chosen a few times a year, and the minimum requirements for applying are very steep. Even so, hundreds apply, but only a few are selected. If you seriously want to be a moderator, you'll need to be an active, TOS-following board user for well over a year to even be considered. Pestering the current moderators or administrators to become a moderator essentially guarantees that you won't be selected.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
You can't.

Seriously, new moderators are only chosen a few times a year, and the minimum requirements for applying are very steep. Even so, hundreds apply, but only a few are selected. If you seriously want to be a moderator, you'll need to be an active, TOS-following board user for well over a year to even be considered. Pestering the current moderators or administrators to become a moderator essentially guarantees that you won't be selected.
LL in the house?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
You can't.

posts like these are the reason boxman and I go up to you at tournaments and scream like excited schoolgirls

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i got modded by pestering Dazwa

if you pester him enough he will mod you.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I think people don't realize that there's more to being a mod than having shiny red letters.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Wait. There are applications to that position? Good lord, do those ever get announced, cause I never seen the announcements.

I'd love to be a mod. Sure, the idea has gone through my head. The requirements I understand, sorta. I don't think you need to know html, but that would be a bonus. Anyway, I'd love to be one at any of the forums I post at, which is a good number of forums. But after, like, six years, I sorta just grew numb. I don't care anymore. :laugh:

Why am I even postin' in atl north, anyway? Cause I can, and I come from NY.

JFox

Smash Hero
I'm not really perstering anyone. I don't think there's anything wrong with me wanting to be a moderator of a forum. All I'm tryin to do is find out how I would become a mod, and so far no one has really answered me.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
The best answer is that mods are chosen by existing mods to cover for rooms that are either new, not being modded enough (read: cluttered, spammy, or just unorganized), or currently modless. If a mod retires, he usually names a successor. All potential new mods are screened for acceptable behavior, vetted to make sure they aren't immature, and must have accomplished much or previously shown that their hands are capable of running the room they will be given. For character specific or game specific, this can mean extensive character specific knowledge, respect, or previous organization in the forum; for regional rooms, it can mean a lot, mostly a good name, high activity levels, and willingness to close threads "even though your friends made them;" for sections of SWF not designed for the game, it can mean a good name and constant activity. Often, a mod from one area will also be charged with modding another area (I mod Forum Games and Decisive Games, but then I was also added to Atlantic South; someone modding Melee Doc could mod Melee Mario; Brawl Fox, Brawl Falco). The best way to become a mod would be to simply be a good name on the forums, contribute a lot, don't get silly infractions, and if the need arises, smile.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Also, a lot of people see it as easy but my PM box routinely fills up with people yelling at me for every judgement call I make.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
best way to become a mod is to kill off an old mod, its like the town that can't have anymore people u have to sacrifice someone for someone else
This. Do you guys know who used to mod Melee ICs?

PRECISELY.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Nope the only correct answer was hotdogturtle's, everyone else's answer was incorrect

Speaking of which hotdogturtle, I showed Boxman that post immediately after I read it and he couldn't stop laughing about it. Darc too.

Oracle

Smash Master
Also, a lot of people see it as easy but my PM box routinely fills up with people yelling at me for every judgement call I make.
Yeah you're the new mic 128. Everyone in the melee boards hated him a ton about 6-7 months ago because he closed a ton of threads. He was the original "no melee vs. brawl" argument threads.

But now he and the melee boards are tight. Like this *crosses middle and left fingers*
I hope so at least

But in all seriousness there should be a way to nominate people for mods.

Also, out of curiosity, did Ken name a successor?

pockyD

Smash Legend
i'm fairly certain that there IS a way to nominate people for mods... and it's done by existing mods

which would be a great system if half the existing mods weren't incompetent and power-crazed

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
i'm fairly certain that there IS a way to nominate people for mods... and it's done by existing mods

which would be a great system if half the existing mods weren't incompetent and power-crazed
Enjoy your 80 point infraction.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer

Make it 160 points and a 1 day ban!...

Wait huh?

pockyD

Smash Legend
wouldn't 160 points given at the same time serve the same purpose as 6 pts, unless you specifically give them a longer duration?

Vts

Smash Champion
more points makes u look cooler kind of like me getting points for my posts that show my sig when all i type is like 3 words.

nah if mods were power hungry they wouldn't be mods for smashboards they would be mods for VN boards lol

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
No its just you only see the new england mods because we post around here its been a fairly even distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom