• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I become a good player if I have no potential, and if I'm growing slowly compared to everyone else?

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
So, I've been playing competitively for a little over 12 months at this point, and yet my own progress and skill seems to be nothing compared to everyone else.

No matter how many hours I spend practicing movement, combos, and character-specific stuff, no matter how many guides I watch, matches of both mine and pro players that I try to analyze, SmashWiki pages that I look at, Ultimate Frame Data pages that I look at, or matches I play with specific goals in mind to improve, my neutral game, combo game, edgeguarding, juggling, ledgetrapping, and disadvantage state are just as trash as they've never been.
All of my victories and close-games so far, even those against some people in tournaments, have all just been me getting lucky. You see, I don't have a shred of intelligence and I have no capability to critically think, even outside of Smash. I'm fated to do everything wring. So, I can't play with a game plan, or seamlessly adapt to anything my opponent's does. If I do manage to catch something, again, that's all just me getting lucky.

I also can't even keep my mains, Pit and Dark Pit, in Elite Smash. They're constantly getting in and getting kicked out. I'm lucky to have had Pit stay in it for a while now, but I can't keep Dark Pit in Elite Smash no matter how hard I try. Also, if Elite Smash is apparently so ridiculously easy to get into, then why isn't it a good indication of one's own skill if one is struggling to stay in it as much as I am with my best characters?

I've had a few good players tell me I have some potential to get really good or that I am a good player, but I don't know what they're talking about. I rely solely on playing as safe and patient of a neutral as I can, and just hoping some of my moves hit, while failing to do anything else correctly. How else someone like me almost take two games off BlazingPasta once, it it wasn't complete luck? Well, it was luck, plus the fact that he went Random for both matches. My luck eventually ran out in the middle of the set anyway.

Additionally, no, I do NOT expect myself to become one of the best in a day or two. Honestly, I shouldn't expect anything good from me at all. I just want my effort that I put in go actually have some kind of reward.

Finally, why do I deserve to have confidence in the first place? Any amount of it would just turn me into an overconfident buffoon, instead of just a regular buffoon. I have no potential to get good or do anything right, and I refuse to blame the actual game's characters for it.

Last edited:

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
First of all don't beat yourself up. Second of all quickplay is not good practice. Lastly you might have improved lots but as a result your playing better players then before.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
Why not, though? Not only do I have no potential to get better and never improve anything about my gameplay, I also just waste most people's time in bracket, and I win through sheer luck and randomness, rather than skill.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
And even if there are people who are worse than me, they'll just keep growing, while I sty the same as I was when I first started, causing me to fall behind.
So, I've been playing competitively for a little over 12 months at this point, and yet my own progress and skill seems to be nothing compared to everyone else.

No matter how many hours I spend practicing movement, combos, and character-specific stuff, no matter how many guides I watch, matches of both mine and pro players that I try to analyze, SmashWiki pages that I look at, Ultimate Frame Data pages that I look at, or matches I play with specific goals in mind to improve, my neutral game, combo game, edgeguarding, juggling, ledgetrapping, and disadvantage state are just as trash as they've never been.
All of my victories and close-games so far, even those against some people in tournaments, have all just been me getting lucky. You see, I don't have a shred of intelligence and I have no capability to critically think, even outside of Smash. I'm fated to do everything wring. So, I can't play with a game plan, or seamlessly adapt to anything my opponent's does. If I do manage to catch something, again, that's all just me getting lucky.

I also can't even keep my mains, Pit and Dark Pit, in Elite Smash. They're constantly getting in and getting kicked out. I'm lucky to have had Pit stay in it for a while now, but I can't keep Dark Pit in Elite Smash no matter how hard I try. Also, if Elite Smash is apparently so ridiculously easy to get into, then why isn't it a good indication of one's own skill if one is struggling to stay in it as much as I am with my best characters?

I've had a few good players tell me I have some potential to get really good or that I am a good player, but I don't know what they're talking about. I rely solely on playing as safe and patient of a neutral as I can, and just hoping some of my moves hit, while failing to do anything else correctly. How else someone like me almost take two games off BlazingPasta once, it it wasn't complete luck? Well, it was luck, plus the fact that he went Random for both matches. My luck eventually ran out in the middle of the set anyway.

Additionally, no, I do NOT expect myself to become one of the best in a day or two. Honestly, I shouldn't expect anything good from me at all. I just want my effort that I put in go actually have some kind of reward.

Finally, why do I deserve to have confidence in the first place? Any amount of it would just turn me into an overconfident buffoon, instead of just a regular buffoon. I have no potential to get good or do anything right, and I refuse to blame the actual game's characters for it.
Why not, though? Not only do I have no potential to get better and never improve anything about my gameplay, I also just waste most people's time in bracket, and I win through sheer luck and randomness, rather than skill.
Besides, even before playing online, I was completely hopeless.
(For future reference, Smashboards would prefer it if you edit your posts rather than posting multiple times consecutively. Otherwise, it may be treated as spam.)

I understand you feel limited in your potential as a Smash player. Everyone has potential. I would advise you to start from scratch. Take the following steps as a beginner:

1. Compile a list of all the basics and techniques able to be performed by every character (walking, dodging, jumping, shielding,etc.)

2. Take any character into a moderately easy (not too easy; there should be some effort involved) battle against any character (preferably one with the full range of threats, like Mario or Pit). Your aim is to win.

3. Make detailed notes about which techniques, combinations of techniques, basics, and other patterns you rely on most.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 several times with the same character, looking for consistencies. Then use a different character, keeping all else identical, and repeat steps 2-4.

5. Make extensive notes about how your most relied upon basics and techniques noted are made easier or harder with each character. You will eventually find your ideal character that optimizes your favorite strategy.

6. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! Make sure you test yourself, your best character, and your playstyle many times in uncomfortable and less than ideal situations. Make a habit of criticizing your methods and looking for flaws with it that others will exploit. Also, during this stage, make a habit of responding to awkaward scenarios with actions you would ordinarily be uncomfortable with using. This is to develop quick thinking when you are out of your element. It also makes you less predictable in competition. This stage, like the previous ones, should take a while to complete-- time enough for you to become comfortable with being uncomfortable (if you would).

7. Finally, relax and enjoy the game. When you are tense, your ability suffers dramatically. I know this all too well. Have fun, and do not tighten when you are on the receiving end of pressure or lose a stock. Consider it all a stepping stone on your path to mastery. Let no serious battle get the best of your good mood, or pass without you taking some kind of note. Every detail should be treated as a new lesson if you can remember it at the end of battle.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Everyone has potential even if others say they don't otherwise. I would start with training with Level 9 CPUs and mastering as many characters as possible beating CPUs of that level. Than I would go to Quickplay and try to get better from there as that's how I got better. Some players have made me a better Smash player as what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Learn and memorize the techniques and tactics that other players use against you. I learn a lot of stuff through playing actual matches in real time whether than learning the techniques by themselves. Sometimes, it's easier to learn tactics during the heat of battle.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Nobody can change how much time you practice in training mode practicing tech or reviewing replays but you, And you only have as much potential as you think you have.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
Everyone has potential even if others say they don't otherwise. I would start with training with Level 9 CPUs and mastering as many characters as possible beating CPUs of that level. Than I would go to Quickplay and try to get better from there as that's how I got better. Some players have made me a better Smash player as what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Learn and memorize the techniques and tactics that other players use against you. I learn a lot of stuff through playing actual matches in real time whether than learning the techniques by themselves. Sometimes, it's easier to learn tactics during the heat of battle.
I already made it to Elite with my character, and I can beat Level 9s, though.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I couldn't make a good video even if I DID have the knowledge.
The purpose is not to make a "good" video, but a video to show how you would naturally play without recording. This simply lets others know where you might be struggling. The more videos, the better an idea of your methods players will get. Then they can give you a higher quality critique.

Do not worry about skill Courageous Baka Courageous Baka . Everyone was of low skill at one point. This is not about skill, but rather getting help in increasing your skill. Besides, if you can beat level 9, you already have some skill, however minimal. Just relax; people want to help.

Last edited:

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
The purpose is not to make a "good" video, but a video to show how you would naturally play without recording. This simply lets others know where you might be struggling. The more videos, the better an idea of your methods players will get. Then they can give you a higher quality critique.

Do not worry about skill Courageous Baka Courageous Baka . Everyone was of low skill at one point. This is not about skill, but rather getting help in increasing your skill. Besides, if you can beat level 9, you already have some skill, however minimal. Just relax; people want to help.
Is there a thread I can do that in?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Is there a thread I can do that in?
Right off, I do not see a specific thread for this type of video (there may be one, but I did not see it). However, seeing as how this thread is about you, and possibly anyone who feels the way you do, I do not see why you cannot make a post featuring a video here. Just be respectful, follow global etiquette, refrain from posting multiple times consecutively, and perhaps include a brief commentary with each video to help viewers.

Reactions: Nah
Top Bottom