• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I beaten Kirby?

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Of course. You know me. An idiot who complains about For Glory 24/7 lol

If that's the case, then I should at least learn about matchups from here on as opposed to getting mad at people waddling left and right as a form of taunt (I wonder if anyone else does this lol)

First off, I'm going to start with Kirby. Nowadays, via my point of:

"are there only people who've practiced since launch date that turn so good as opposed to roll spammers nowadays?"

I don't see Kirby players that are like the aforementioned roll spammers anymore; as said before, I believe due to me being late to the punch of picking up Smash around 2014-2015 on my birthday, people seem to have gotten very good with him.

Kirbys I see nowadays literally body me after a throw. A VERY common combo by this guy named PKMNM DJ is forward throw to forward aerial, then regrab into another throw (down tilt optional), and he had VERY good spacing and timing with his attacks, somehow out-prioritizing every one of my moves. He had the momentum on his side by a landslide, literally hitting me for free.

Thus, has anyone been bodied by a good Kirby on For Glory? If so, how do you properly combat him? I of course, am a shameless Falco main that can self-destruct like a ******; if that's the case, do I have to switch to a counterpick?

P.S. I'm not sure if I want to include 'the Kirbys that spam Inhale traps just to screw with you'. If there's a counter for them too, then I'll gladly take it.

Last edited:

eggsplosiveguy

Smash Rookie
Kirby has has, as you´ve stated, an awesome combo game. This means that you cant let kirby get near you. How?

In my eyes you have two simple options: Camping him out, or spacing him out. One of Kirby´s biggest weakness is that he doesn´t have a solid approach option. He has no range and his only projectile (up b) is really useless. And because he´s not especially fast, camping is viable.

But, this is where you find a problem. Falco´s projectile is punishable (RIP Melee Falco´s lasers) and he doesnt have a disjoint, so he can´t really either camp or space him. In addition, Falco is combo food for Kirby, but kirby isn´t that comboable for Falco. So, Kirby has about the same chances of winning neutral against Falco, and he has a better punish/edgeguard game on him that Falco does on Kirby. Thus, Kirby has, in my opinion, a winning MU against the bird.

Not that Falco can´t win against Kirby. He still has a really good combo game, and he can definetely edgeguard Kirby (his recovery is too linear). Also, Kirby´s like to approach with dair, which I´m sure Falco´s up tilt/ up smash beats. However, you might need a secondary for Kirby. I recommend this as secondaries:
  • Characters with a sword: Especially Marth, Lucina, Corrin or even Ike are bad MUs for Kirby, simply because they wall Kirby out AND all kill him very early, Kirby being so extremely light.
  • Projectile characters: Mega man, Toon Link, Link and Samus also give Kirby problems, simply because Kirby can´t get in.
Other good pockets are:
  • Sonic: One of Kirby´s worse, if not his worst MU, kirby has no answer to sonic´s speed and thus, has very limited offensive and defensive options against him.
  • Rosalina: Luma is hell for Kirby: it´s a disjoint, kills kirby really early, and edgeguards him. And if Rosa-Luma is really good at something is at keeping their opponent out.
  • Diddy Kong: Diddy´s neutral is way better than Kirby´s neutral.
  • Ryu: Flat out better neutral and reach than Kirby, Shoryuken kills Kirby at like 50%.
  • Mewtwo: Shadow ball, down tilt, and fair neutralize Kirby.
Hope this helped you :)

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Kirby has has, as you´ve stated, an awesome combo game. This means that you cant let kirby get near you. How?

In my eyes you have two simple options: Camping him out, or spacing him out. One of Kirby´s biggest weakness is that he doesn´t have a solid approach option. He has no range and his only projectile (up b) is really useless. And because he´s not especially fast, camping is viable.

But, this is where you find a problem. Falco´s projectile is punishable (RIP Melee Falco´s lasers) and he doesnt have a disjoint, so he can´t really either camp or space him. In addition, Falco is combo food for Kirby, but kirby isn´t that comboable for Falco. So, Kirby has about the same chances of winning neutral against Falco, and he has a better punish/edgeguard game on him that Falco does on Kirby. Thus, Kirby has, in my opinion, a winning MU against the bird.

Not that Falco can´t win against Kirby. He still has a really good combo game, and he can definetely edgeguard Kirby (his recovery is too linear). Also, Kirby´s like to approach with dair, which I´m sure Falco´s up tilt/ up smash beats. However, you might need a secondary for Kirby. I recommend this as secondaries:
  • Characters with a sword: Especially Marth, Lucina, Corrin or even Ike are bad MUs for Kirby, simply because they wall Kirby out AND all kill him very early, Kirby being so extremely light.
  • Projectile characters: Mega man, Toon Link, Link and Samus also give Kirby problems, simply because Kirby can´t get in.
Other good pockets are:
  • Sonic: One of Kirby´s worse, if not his worst MU, kirby has no answer to sonic´s speed and thus, has very limited offensive and defensive options against him.
  • Rosalina: Luma is hell for Kirby: it´s a disjoint, kills kirby really early, and edgeguards him. And if Rosa-Luma is really good at something is at keeping their opponent out.
  • Diddy Kong: Diddy´s neutral is way better than Kirby´s neutral.
  • Ryu: Flat out better neutral and reach than Kirby, Shoryuken kills Kirby at like 50%.
  • Mewtwo: Shadow ball, down tilt, and fair neutralize Kirby.
Hope this helped you :)
To sorta clear up a few things, Falco technically has two disjoints; his reflector and his down tilt. However, down tilt's range isn't too superb while his reflector (down b) can be easily punished if blocked, but can be used to stop approaches and/or rack up damage from a medium distance (especially in the air).

eggsplosiveguy

Smash Rookie
To sorta clear up a few things, Falco technically has two disjoints; his reflector and his down tilt. However, down tilt's range isn't too superb while his reflector (down b) can be easily punished if blocked, but can be used to stop approaches and/or rack up damage from a medium distance (especially in the air).
Yeah, Falco does have disjoints, but they are not that good, that´s why I believe Kirby wins the MU. However, a smart use of those 2 moves along with solid spacing can definetely give you a win against Kirby.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Well, this dude named 'kirby' (just that and he's from the US) has proved that I'm such a failure. I got so stressed out fighting that I'm just getting mad over Smash all over again...

And yes, he was using Kirby. If he ever sees this message, he deserves to tell me to die.

Well, I might as well use those counterpicks then....

Edit: I just managed to stop playing. I guess I can't win them all since everyone else as I've once stated before, practiced day and night to learn how to effectively beat the **** out of weaklings like me. Oh well. : P

I also use Fox, both Pits, Meta Knight and Wario very occasionally. Think they have a decent chance vs. Kirby too?

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Well, this dude named 'kirby' (just that and he's from the US) has proved that I'm such a failure. I got so stressed out fighting that I'm just getting mad over Smash all over again...

And yes, he was using Kirby. If he ever sees this message, he deserves to tell me to die.

Well, I might as well use those counterpicks then....

Edit: I just managed to stop playing. I guess I can't win them all since everyone else as I've once stated before, practiced day and night to learn how to effectively beat the **** out of weaklings like me. Oh well. : P

I also use Fox, both Pits, Meta Knight and Wario very occasionally. Think they have a decent chance vs. Kirby too?
Here's my take on your secondaries/pockets:

:4metaknight: Good choice. He's +1 at worst against Kirby. The zero deaths are gone but he still combos Kirby well. And his rolls are pain for Kirby to punish.
:4wario: Might work. He's pretty heavy and has good air speed. Although his finishes are harder to land vs. Kirby than vice versa. I personally think it's even.
(:4pit::4darkpit:) Might work too. Their disjoints are good and but they are not as oppressive against Kirby as say :4cloud:. They're probably even just for balanced to a fault they are.
:4fox:: DON'T.

Last edited:
Top Bottom