• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I beat Samus?

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
I don't know who GHOD is, but if you're a top player, that's pretty cool.
I'm not a top player by event points because I don't have a locals close enough to me to compete viably. I do however have access to a few high level names online and play with them more often than a lot of people get the chance to. I sucked a lot until I literally paid people to body me.

EDIT: GHOD was a casual player who I convinced to learn to get gud. He's no longer a casual, he's now a combo guru with Young Link and ironically, Samus.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm not a top player by event points because I don't have a locals close enough to me to compete viably. I do however have access to a few high level names online and play with them more often than a lot of people get the chance to. I sucked a lot until I literally paid people to body me.
I've never been to a tournament before, so I spend most of my Smash time against my brother or on Quickplay. I'll check out Discord every now and then. I've bumped into a few top players in Quickplay, though. It's always a pleasant surprise if I recognize their name.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
~?~ would body you, he bodies top players on stream
Please illustrate where I said I'm a top player.
C Crooked Crow
There's nothing wrong with going to a place like the Link room or Link Discord server and asking for advice on how to deal with Link. From my experience, players are more than happy to give tips on how to deal with certain characters, depending on who you ask. When I was playing a Mega Man player back in SSB4, I told him that if he used Leaf Shield, or used more jab, f-tilt, and n-air, he'd give me trouble. He started implementing these tactics on me, which gave me the opportunity to learn how to deal with these options. Even if I play against someone who doesn't win against me, I give tips and advice on what he can try and who to look up for more ideas. I personally find players who keep information for themselves as one of two types of people: elitists or cowards. Sure, if your goal is to simply just win, then don't say anything. If your goal is to have an opponent who will give you trouble, spill the beans.
The goal is to simply win; for the record, I think part of this stems from the fact that the culture was just different on Smashboards and as a whole in the community back in the day, when I was a lot more active and attended tournaments regularly, all the boards were pretty active and I don't think people really discussed their characters meta much with others at all. I just view it as decreasing liability, you know? Purely analytical thinking. It's why Hungrybox didn't play friendlies with people a lot, although I think that's a tad bit extreme; I personally like playing anybody, even those who I know are gonna body me. I played Ally in my first ever Brawl tournament. I had a blast. I also got bodied.

~?~ would body you, he bodies top players on stream
He's also not obligated to help those he bodies, which is kind of my point.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The goal is to simply win; for the record, I think part of this stems from the fact that the culture was just different on Smashboards and as a whole in the community back in the day, when I was a lot more active and attended tournaments regularly, all the boards were pretty active and I don't think people really discussed their characters meta much with others at all. I just view it as decreasing liability, you know? Purely analytical thinking. It's why Hungrybox didn't play friendlies with people a lot, although I think that's a tad bit extreme; I personally like playing anybody, even those who I know are gonna body me. I played Ally in my first ever Brawl tournament. I had a blast. I also got bodied.
Yes, the goal is to win, but I prefer playing against people who will give me a challenge and have an idea of how my main works. Otherwise, I find winning to be a hollow accomplishment. On the other hand, if I defeat anyone who is at my skill level or a top player, I'll feel accomplished. I will have put out more effort. Yet, I don't merely stop at playing to win. I play to learn. It's the first step to winning . . . well, that and losing.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Please illustrate where I said I'm a top player.

He's also not obligated to help those he bodies, which is kind of my point.
You're absolutely right, the goal is to win. You're also absolutely right in your response to Alize, that I'm absolutely in no way, shape or form, "obligated" to teach the matchup, but I do teach it to people anyway. I also already explained why, so did another user. It makes us better players having HARDER matches. The harder you are pushed, the higher your skill bar raises, and the further you get to climb it. Meta, both old or new, was never developed without someone being pushed to implement it consistently in an actual game while under pressure. Being forced into these situations is what makes a good player good, because they had to practice under that pressure, knowing that an opponent is a "competent" player. I wont learn by beating incompetent players, and thus would struggle against those who are competent, and likely take Ls on it until said competent player beat the bad habits out of me. That's the other point. Teaching others to play competently also forces you to also increase your player competence level.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
You're absolutely right, the goal is to win. You're also absolutely right in your response to Alize, that I'm absolutely in no way, shape or form, "obligated" to teach the matchup, but I do teach it to people anyway. I also already explained why, so did another user. It makes us better players having HARDER matches. The harder you are pushed, the higher your skill bar raises, and the further you get to climb it. Meta, both old or new, was never developed without someone being pushed to implement it consistently in an actual game while under pressure. Being forced into these situations is what makes a good player good, because they had to practice under that pressure, knowing that an opponent is a "competent" player. I wont learn by beating incompetent players, and thus would struggle against those who are competent, and likely take Ls on it until said competent player beat the bad habits out of me. That's the other point. Teaching others to play competently also forces you to also increase your player competence level.
I can get behind this post; the truth is, matchup exposure and metagame knowledge happen at a very quick rate regardless these days, because I guess a lot of people have viewpoints like yourself. And others figuring out what characters give Samus trouble is also inevitable. I suppose it depends on how you approach the situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom