• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I approach with this character?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Just took a serious attempt at Puff for the first time in the series and I love them! The combos are so fluent and improvised, and they seem to cover up a lot of the match ups I struggle with as Robin, so I am thinking of picking them up as a secondary. There is just one issue.

I understand the general idea of approaching. Come in with your fantastic aerials (primarily NAir and FAir) and hit the opponent during their openings, the issue when I put this into practice it usually results in me just falling right into their moves, being knocked away, then falling back into their next move upon retaliation. What exactly should I be doing to avoid these situations? Especially when I am approaching a shield or airborn opponent?

blaiset

Smash Rookie
I personally use pound or Dair to approach shield, with Dair it sometimes will get through enough of the shield to hit once or twice and pound shatters shields. otherwise its all about baiting an attack while still being as close as possible without getting hit and then moving in quickly with Fair or Nair especially if they keep hitting you on basic approaches. I use pound as well occasionally to mix up spacing and catch them off guard. To approach as this character I think getting really good with movement and spacing is key most of all

King Ching

Smash Cadet
Take advantage of Puffs six jumps. Sometimes its good to fade in and then fade back to bait the opponent into doing something or to reveal your opponents habits, then go in for a punish. Dair is good for covering rolls or opponents who missed techs on the ground. Nair is also one of the best out of shield options.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Take advantage of Puffs six jumps. Sometimes its good to fade in and then fade back to bait the opponent into doing something or to reveal your opponents habits, then go in for a punish. Dair is good for covering rolls or opponents who missed techs on the ground. Nair is also one of the best out of shield options.
I would recommend also landing semi-frequently — you really don't want to take a hit while trying to approach and finding yourself far offstage with most of your jumps missing.

Kc_SwitchItUp

Smash Rookie
Dair into down special is a combo let fair hot shield and when they drop use rest.

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
I feel your pain, especially with projectiles everywhere, but these strategies have worked best for me.

1) Abuse your short hop aerials, especially neutral air. Most people don't expect puff to immediately challenge you from the ground, but I like to because pound combos into itself at least three times on most characters, so getting in that early pound + pound + pound + neutral air combo is a fantastic way to start off your game and really kicks off your momentum.

2) Build a forward air wall and inch closer. You three of your jumps to push back with forward air and your remaining jumps to fast fall/drift back if you think something is going to catch you.

Monollock

Smash Rookie
What I sometimes do is just empty jump, I empty jump then just grab them and throw them, I also mix throws in where I can to teach them not to shield. so I can get hits easier. Since alot of people wait for the shield stun before inputting a punish it can lead to alot of ****ery where the opponent doesn't know how to punish. they either eat your aerial as normal or get grabbed leading to potential edge guards.

King Ching

Smash Cadet
What I sometimes do is just empty jump, I empty jump then just grab them and throw them, I also mix throws in where I can to teach them not to shield. so I can get hits easier. Since alot of people wait for the shield stun before inputting a punish it can lead to alot of ****ery where the opponent doesn't know how to punish. they either eat your aerial as normal or get grabbed leading to potential edge guards.
Thats a great strategy I'm going to try this out myself.

Top Bottom