• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I apply pressure with Marth?

Mr.Bonkey

Smash Rookie
I was told by someone that they don't feel pressured at all when they play me and I was told to put pressure on by staying close. But the problem is that I don't know what to do when I'm close without just throwing hitboxes on their shield. I'm more used to waiting for my opponent to attack and punishing but it doesn't work too well against characters with projectiles or more experienced players. any advice on how to apply pressure?

goateeguy

Smash Ace
cactus dashing, dash-dancing, or even just walking at someone are all good movement options. Empty shorthops into wavelands or dtilts or grabs, plain old JC grabs, dtilt spam, IASA dtilt->jab, IASA dtilt->dash back->pivot fsmash if you want hitboxes out. Marth is really good at being scary. You only have to attack occasionally to maintain respect.

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
Have a great punish game so that they will be afraid of you. Then, whenever you're close, dash dance outside of their range and they should respect your movement. Dashing in is aggression (pressure), dashing out is bait

dtmm

Smash Rookie
I agree with the above. Depending on the matchup if you can keep them around the range of Marth's disjointed hitbox that will make them respect the space that you are controlling. You can throw out safe fairs, but you don't even have to keep hitboxes out. If they do something silly at that range, they eat a tippered fsmash or you can approach and set up Marth's ridiculous juggles. Also edge-guarding. If you can get a few low-percentage gimps they will be scared to go near the edge against you which puts pressure on them.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I always forget that theres a tech called cactus dashing looooool

I actually have a new movement technique in development. Stay tuned. :)

Last edited:

Aidoony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sheikah2
Start by shorthop nairing then dash dancing if your friend mains fox or falco grab them and up throw them and keep doing it to tack on percentage the start dash dancing then when there open side smash kill them were I got this well I am a ditto player so I pick up on foes strategies while playing as there character(s) because It is on most part that they did not train to counter there play style

Top Bottom