• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you guy's start off modding?

RadicalMongoose

Smash Apprentice
I've kind of been a lurker on here for awhile now, but I thought it might be fun to try my hand at modding. What's a good place to start at for modding brawl?

TurtleAndGuyProductions

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I did:

Get an idea, doesn't matter if it's good or not.

Add content made by other people to the game.

eventually, become frusturated that you can't find exactly what you're looking for.

figure out how to make it yourself.

Make it yourself.

You can imagine where it goes from there.

Last edited:

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
What I recommend is that you try your hand with each of the following, in order from top to bottom, and when you've mastered one, move onto the next one:

1) Texturing (Recoloring)
2) Texturing (More Advanced)
3) Vertexing (Simple)
4) Vertexing (Completely New Shapes)
5) Model Importing (Hats, Boots, or the Like)
6) Model Porting
7) Model Importing (Main Bodies of Characters, i.e. NO Hands or Anything Else As Advanced Being Rigged)
8) Model Importing (Full Characters, Including Hands)
9) Animating
10) Menu Textures
11) PSA
12) Stage Editing
13) Audio Editing
14) Creating Your Own Code or Editing Menu Functionality

I myself have only done up to 7, and then partly 8, partly 9, partly 10, and very little of 11

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Downloaded alm's PMEX
wanted shadow eagle for shadows down air. alm wouldnt do it so i did it myself. i taught myself brawlbox after he showed me which brawlbox i needed to edit movesets/preview model. a few edits to geno/shadow became "what the hell are all these jank ass PSA's someone should fix them"
and thats what cobalt legacy is trying to do

Top Bottom