• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you get into Super Smash Bros ?

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
Hi. Normally I'm not the type to create posts but I decide to post this because I wanted to interact with the community and hopefully get to know some of you. I been here for quite sometime and was a bit nervous, but got to start somewhere.

I. How did you get into Super Smash Bros ?

II. Who do you main and why ? ( feel free to list others too )

III. Are you intersed in competitive or casual play ?

I got into Super Smash Bros at a very young age. Though it was out around the time I was born, my dad bought me a GameCube around the age of 8 or 9. My first game was Super Smash Bros. Now, that I mention it, it was practically the only game I played on it. ( I had Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance and Deception, Street series, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Mario Sunshine, Need For Speed Underground ) My collection wasn't that big, but was fun. Being the Nintendo fan I am, I was super happy to receive this gift. I mean, all these Nintendo reps in one game was imaginable for me. My first character and almost last character, Ice Climbers.

I used Ice Climbers because I recognize them. My dad and I use to bring out his old NES console just play classic games and one of those games happen to be Ice Climber. It's a platformer that was released in 1985 with the goal of climbing to ride the condor. I loved that game and the bonus levels too. Call me weird, but hearing them jump and hit the blocks with their hammers was always satisfying to me. My Solder sister would tag along and be Nana and often got left behind, in short, she wasn't having as much as I was. Then when I saw in Smash which was convenient and shocking, I used them and mained them ever since. They are extremely fun and challenging characters to use.

At this time I was not interested in competitive play because I was so young and did not know. I used Ice Climbers in a more casual way as well. I did not know how wobble, chain grab, or do pass offs. When Brawl came around, I still used them more Casually and did not know how to advance things like that. To be honest, I would not use those trick understandably people didn't like it. But I was raised that if it is in the game, it's not cheap so I don't blame people for using what they been giving. It wasn't until Super Smash Bros 4 came out that I looked into the competitive scene. I picked up Wii Fit Trainer here because Ice Climbers were cut ( I used Jigglypuff back in Brawl and less in 4 ). Now they are back, I want to try to visit tournaments and get out there.

That about sums it up for me. I hope to get to know you all. ( sorry if this might be a common post, but I'm interest )

Naptec

Smash Cadet
I'm got into Smash with Brawl while searching in my hard disk (dunno if it's called like that in english) of my Wii an I saw Mario (and all the characters of the Mario series) and Link, the two only Nintendo characters I knew at the time, in the box. And I sucked, even at a casual level (like, I somehow managed to suck with MK), but it was really fun.

I'm currently maining Link on a suggestion of someone here in Smashboards (I thank that guy really hard). Before trying Link, I was playing Mega Man, since he was my main at the end of Smash 4 (and even before I used to main Pit). The reason I switched is because I wanted a more defense-focused character (and I feel satisfied with Link). And now, the true reason of why I main Link in Ultimate (and not in other games) is the Remote Bomb. It just does litterally anything with them. Bombs are my waifu, don't touch

When I started Smash, I didn't even knew that video games could be competitive. So I was just a guy who sucks with MK with items on. Then when I got Smash 4 and learned that Smash was competitive, I immediatly started to go online and get bodied by basically anyone, since there's no tournaments nearby where I live. And now that Ultimate iss here, I can surely do the same... if I had the Online.

Welp, that's all about me in Smash, have a nice day

ChosenUndead

Smash Rookie
I. Got into Super Smash Bros after I came across a video of Subspace Emissary, I am not sure what the hell is going on with Mario beating the crap out of Kirby

II. Main Dedede because I am quite fond of the Kirby series

III. Casual

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
1. 1st played Melee up a friends house, actually did not like it at first but gave it a second chance when my brother bought it a few years later. Shortly after Brawl had its 1st trailer and then I really got into the series.
2. Robin (F), I tend to main who I have the most fun playing as, I will admit I do get biased though and give more of a chance to fighters whose series I like so that does benefit someone like Robin and go against someone from Pokemon for example.
3. Casual, I do enjoy watching competitive though but I do not have the skill or desire to really get into that stuff.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Had every game since the original. Played casually till I got into my teenage years then got competitive with my friends in Melee. Started going to occasional tournaments starting with Brawl, and so on.

Wolf, because I find him the most fun, and most satisfying character to play. I also greatly missed his absence in Smash 4 after maining him for the entirety of Brawl, and the glove still fit.

I tend to like a bit of both. You'll mostly find me playing with no items on neutral stages, but I still enjoy occasional items/non-neutral/custom stages sessions. Going full tryhard 24/7 gets old sometimes.

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
I got into smash bros because I had a GameCube available around 2008, and Melee was one of the games that I purchased because I had a wii alongside with Brawl, and I wanted to own all the smash bros games since I owned 64 from the wii shop. At the time I played very casually because I didn’t know about the competitive scene until I looked up tips for both Falcon and Dr. Mario. In the end, I main Falcon because of the large potential I saw since I enjoyed his movesets and combo montages from competitive players. I decided to place Dr. Mario as a secondary because he was my favorite player in melee, and was my OG main from 2008. For the last question I would say both because playing smash with friends and items on was what I used to do back in the day, and it makes me remember the nostalgia from friends + online brawl (I still hate you Meta Knight), and competitive play because playing decent and skilled opponents is fun. I dropped Smash in 2013 after I stopped playing my wii because I felt like I grew out of it. It just wasn’t fun, and I already had a PlayStation and the games stuck out to me more. Ultimately I left smash behind because of growing up. One day I found my old copy of both Melee and brawl stored away in a drawer with dust on both my Wii, Wii games, and GameCube games. The nostalgia of both the Wii and GameCube made me come back in 2017, and I picked up my progress in competitive smash and have continued to do so ever since. All of this because of the nostalgia and fun I had from smash.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
I. First played brawl at a familly member’s house. First ever game I played samus.

II. Lucina. Started playing Marth in brawl when I made the switch to sm4sh I switched to lucy for the whole thing.

III. Competitive play in terms of how I play. I just don’t attend tournaments.

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
I was in 5th grade when Brawl released, and it was my first Smash game. I don’t exactly remember everything about how I learned about the game, but I know that I was interested because of Sonic being included, and I had to get it because I was (and still am) a diehard Sonic fan, and because all of my friends were getting it. Currently I’m mostly a Ness/Lucas main. Years ago, I didn’t understand how probably half of their moves really worked, but I eventually learned after watching some videos of tournaments, and their playstyle just felt right to me. If I had the time and willingness, I’d try to be more competitive, but I’m just a casual player who has a huge backlog of other games that I want to play.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
1. My dad rented Brawl at Blockbuster when I was young and then I either got Brawl for real the Christmas after Smash 4 started or I had Smash 4 first on the 3DS and then I got Brawl the following Christmas.
2. I main Captain Falcon because he fits my play style, he looks cool, and all of his disrespectful moves.
3. I prefer Competitive because it's a fighting game but I can play with items and such. I still get really competitive even with the casual stuff. I have only gotten to participate in one tournament (at my school) so far but my nerves got to me so I didn't get that far

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I.
From ages five to seven, my parents owned an N64 along with five games that our family avidly played. I never once played or watched Ocarina of Time back then despite the fact that everyone else loved it, and I wasn't too fond of Super Mario 64 at the time, but I played the hell out of the other three games. They were Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Super Smash Bros. I loved these games so much.

On Christmas of 2008, I was still seven then, but my parents and extended family got all of us a Wii along with three games. Mario Party 8, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Bros Brawl. Busy playing the other two games, Smash Brawl collected dust for months until I picked it up in the Spring of 2009. The game was fantastic as a party game with friends and family. It was my all time favorite game ever until December 7th, 2018.

I got a 3DS right around the age of twelve (2013) along with Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros 2. At around the same time, I was discovering what the competitive community was via the internet. This was because a friend asked me to download something called Project M (which I never did). I also found out about Smash 4, an unreleased game everyone was discussing. The game had just been revealed. When it came out, I used some saved up money to buy the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros 4, and I didn't like it as much to be honest.
- There was no SubSpace Emissary type story mode which was a major let down.
- The UI made it hard for me to find anything other Smash, Online, and Smash Run.
- The graphic style felt way too bright with its colors and not realistic enough.
- The new items were absolutely broken compared to what existed in Smash Brawl.
- The positive vibes I got from Smash Brawl were just not as present in Smash 4.

Nothing bad about this game actually sealed the nail in the coffin though. I kept playing because the internet and all my friend groups moved on from Smash Brawl to Smash 4. I got a Switch in June 2017 because Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and Super Mario Odyssey had me excited. Once Smash Ultimate got announced, I kept up with the internet like never before. I even joined SmashBoards. I was anxious to see if this game would go in a more favorable direction as well as what veterans would return and if any of the newcomers could be a viable main. I found out everything seemed to be going well for Smash Ultimate. Most of my complaints in Smash 4 were cleared up. Story mode, a better UI, darker colors, and general positive vibes. I stopped caring about items completely by this point. On December 8th, 2018, I got Super Smash Bros Ultimate as an "Early Christmas Gift".

II.
In Smash 64, I mained Samus and used Kirby as what I would view as a secondary. I did try to get into playing Link, but until Smash Ultimate, I couldn't bring myself to like the way he plays. I only played the game with my direct family, and there were only nine character options to choose from (we never unlocked Luigi, Ness, or Captain Falcon), so there isn't much more to say.

I never owned a GameCube until after my cousins decided to get rid of theirs in 2010, and even then, I still never got my hands on Smash Melee. I did play it in October 2018, but it was only for two hours, and I never played it again. If I had to make a prediction on who I would have mained in that game if I actually owned it, I would say Samus, Marth, and/or Roy.

In Smash Brawl, there was a brief incubation period where the only character I played was Meta Knight. He was the only one who interested me among the starting cast. Kirby no longer interested me, and Samus now transforms into Zero Suit Samus, a character I couldn't stand playing at the time. After me and my family unlocked a few more fighters, I noticed a character that must have been unlocked while I wasn't in the room named Marth, and I liked how be played a lot. I stuck with him for a while. I later noticed a character named Snake. I didn't drop Marth, but I played Snake more often. At this point, I dropped Meta Knight entirely. At some unknown point, I meant to play as Marth or Snake in a free for all. I can't remember which one because both are in a position where it was possible for me to do this by accident, but regardless, I selected Ike one match. I ended up winning, and I liked him, so I played him some more. These were the three fighters I would come to play the most. Marth, Ike, and Snake. In Spring of 2014, I decided to give Wolf a try for whatever reason. I thought he might be in the squad because I liked how he played in Smash Brawl, but I decided to wait until Smash 4 before I truly try to pick him up.

In Smash 4, having three mains and having all three of said mains either be removed or nerfed to oblivion left me in an absolute mad dash to find someone I could suitably call a main. Snake was Removed completely. Ike felt much weaker than before, and I was unable to play him well anymore. I had no choice but to drop him this game. Marth was the same as Ike to a lesser extent. Nerfed, and became a character that wasn't viable in my hands anymore. It was sad to be honest. To top it all off, Wolf was removed too, so my efforts to save him for Smash 4 were in vain.

Like I said, I was in an absolute mad dash to find someone I could suitably call a main. I landed back on Meta Knight for a period of time along side Dark Pit for a couple of reasons. Those two were better in my hands than any other character at the time, and I was still a bit bitter about the whole bright colors graphic style, but I still wasn't as happy as I was back in Smash Brawl. Once the Lucas, Roy, Ryu DLC got released, I was still hungry for someone who I could play decently. Me and Roy clicked almost immediately. I felt myself doing better with Roy than any character, so I dropped Meta Knight and Dark Pit entirely after like a month. Eventually, Cloud got released, and I was good at playing Cloud too. I found myself getting better results with Cloud than Roy, so I mained Cloud (probably because he was obscenely good in Smash 4), but I kept Roy as a secondary. Eventually, Corrin got released, and I was good at playing Corrin too. I wasn't quite as good as her than with Cloud or Roy, but I think she made a good secondary as well. These were the three fighters I would come to play the most. Roy, Corrin, and Cloud. Because of the buffs to Marth, I was able to play him somewhat again, but I still liked the DLC better. In Fall of 2018, I decided to give ROB a try for whatever reason. I can use him somewhat well in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, but I still prefer the three I have been using up to this point.

In Smash Ultimate, Snake was brought back, and Ike was made great again. I went back to both of them the literal day I unlocked them. You will never see me use a Radiant Dawn alternate skin by the way. It reminds me of what Sakurai did to my mains in Smash 4. I also picked up Richter because I like how he plays, and I love a game he was in (Symphony of the Night). These were the three fighters I would come to play the most. Ike, Richter, and Snake. I finally brought myself to like Link for the first time, but still not as much as my current mains. Link is now a pocket fighter for me. I kept playing Roy and Corrin for a bit of time, but I just like my current mains better. I dropped Corrin entirely recently. While I dropped Roy entirely as well, it's only because I prefer his echo fighter, Chrom, over him. Chrom is now a pocket fighter for me. I dropped both Marth and Cloud from the start for the same reason I dropped Marth and Ike in Smash 4. I simply don't like how they play in this particular game.
The general overview for who I settled on as mains are as follows.
:samus64::kirby64:
:snake::ike::marth:
:4cloud::4feroy::4corrinf:
:ultsnake::ultrichter::ultike:

III.
I only played casually in Smash 64 or Smash Brawl, but it is the opposite as of the summer of 2015.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
1. I saw the first commercial introducing the new IP that was Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64.

2. I main Samus. I picked her up because a friend of mine at daycare introduced me to Super Metroid. I remember wanting it for Christmas and I received it and a Super Nintendo in 1994. Years passed by, but there wasn't a Metroid game for the N64, so I played as Samus in SSB.

3. I suppose you could say I've always been competitive, but it wasn't until near the end of SSBM that I learned of Smash World Forums (SmashBoards) and All is Brawl. I decided I'd try relying on my own skill and playing on tournament legal stages, time, and stock. I've yet to attend a tournament, even a local one.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I played melee when I was young (first year of release) but I couldn't appreciate the game being young and ignorant. After that, the release of brawl on the wii I would play the story mode or play against my brother. Then in my highschool years Smash 4 came out and I'd play that in our game club against friends, I usually just spammed the specials.

With Smash Ultimate coming out though I've been playing to win so Ive changed my controls and I would say I'm good at it locally but definitely not at a pro's level.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1. I was a lonely teenager who had just moved across the country.
Not a single friend, had an accent that didn't fit in and no real interest in sports.

Met a pair of twins who were talking about video games. I didn't know squat about Nintendo outside the recent Pokemon boon and Mario but I used that as a way to initiate conversation.

Got invited to come to theirs to play this game called 'Super Smash Bros. 64'. I was awful at it but I fell in love with the concept of Nintendo's biggest stars fighting it out. Here I developed a love of Yoshi, previously a character I'd disliked due to his replacement of Toad in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show(which at the time was my main source of knowledge for the Mario series having grown up with Sonic).

That was around 20 years ago. To this day we still meet up every week to play Smash Bros. once a week although our fourth member has changed four times in those 20 years.

2. Yoshi. Honestly the reasoning is kind of dumb. Toad wasn't in Smash, Luigi hadn't been unlocked yet and someone else had already decided they were going to main Pikachu and Mario. That pretty much just left me with Yoshi from the cast I knew at the time. Smash turned me into a huge Yoshi fan.

3. Casual. I feel like if I tried competitive it'd feel too much like work and suck the fun out of the entire game for me. I've played the odd competitive player and have come out on top before but gaming is just a hobby for me.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
1. I can't remember. I know that it was one of the first games I ever played period, and I rented it from Blockbuster at first before I got my own copy for my birthday in 2000, but I can't remember why toddler me was drawn to it in the first place.

2. Yoshi has been a consistent favorite of mine throughout the series, from day one. And by "day one", I mean see above. Yoshi vs. Master Hand is my earliest video game memory. I just plain like them as a species and always have.
The fact that I turned out to be a furry/scalie when I grew up certainly doesn't hurt.

3. Competitive. I have no skill myself, but I at least understand the theory and can appreciate it as an art. Also, I'm a bit biased because, compared to the casual community, I've had to deal with far, far less personal stress from people around me arguing nonstop in the competitive community.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
1) Did Melee come with the Gamecube? That was the first one I owned, but I don't remember how I got it. I may or may not have rented Smash 64.

2) Ganondorf. I always tended to be an edgelord who gravitated towards over-the-top evil villain characters, and the fact that he was so brutal on top of that sold me forever. He's as if Broly were a dark wizard.

3) Competitive. I played with items on in the Melee days but they've just gotten too ridiculous for me the past three games. I don't really have fun playing FFA's or anything. If the custom character system from 4 were in Ultimate I would love playing around with that, though. I tend to have the most fun when I have something to show others, be it my own skill or a character/stage I've made.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
1) Did Melee come with the Gamecube? That was the first one I owned, but I don't remember how I got it.
No, the GC didn't have any pack-in titles. The first game I had for mine was Metroid Prime 1.
Melee was the #1 best-selling game in the system's lifetime, though.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
My dad bought me Melee when it released and I played it a bunch, I guess. I was instantly hooked on it because I could play as that green guy from Zelda and Super Mario Bros.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
1. I first got into Smash games when a friend told me about it in 1999. (That was 20 years ago). He said "there's this new game called Super Smash Bros." (on the Nintendo 64), so I tried it and I liked the crossover aspect of it -- that Yoshi, Pikachu and Donkey Kong could play in the same game.
2. My main is Yoshi :ultyoshi: -- he is my favorite video game character, and I love everything about him (and his species). There are many reasons I like Yoshi -- I listed reasons in the "Why do you main Yoshi?" thread (that thread is in the Yoshi section of the "Ultimate characters discussion" section).

3. I'm more interested in competitive play.

Last edited:

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I got into smash bros because I had a GameCube available around 2008, and Melee was one of the games that I purchased because I had a wii alongside with Brawl, and I wanted to own all the smash bros games since I owned 64 from the wii shop. At the time I played very casually because I didn’t know about the competitive scene until I looked up tips for both Falcon and Dr. Mario. In the end, I main Falcon because of the large potential I saw since I enjoyed his movesets and combo montages from competitive players. I decided to place Dr. Mario as a secondary because he was my favorite player in melee, and was my OG main from 2008. For the last question I would say both because playing smash with friends and items on was what I used to do back in the day, and it makes me remember the nostalgia from friends + online brawl (I still hate you Meta Knight), and competitive play because playing decent and skilled opponents is fun. I dropped Smash in 2013 after I stopped playing my wii because I felt like I grew out of it. It just wasn’t fun, and I already had a PlayStation and the games stuck out to me more. Ultimately I left smash behind because of growing up. One day I found my old copy of both Melee and brawl stored away in a drawer with dust on both my Wii, Wii games, and GameCube games. The nostalgia of both the Wii and GameCube made me come back in 2017, and I picked up my progress in competitive smash and have continued to do so ever since. All of this because of the nostalgia and fun I had from smash.
I 'm glad you decided to return back to the series. The Super Smash Bros Series will probably be my all time favorite. You can never be too old

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
1. I was a lonely teenager who had just moved across the country.
Not a single friend, had an accent that didn't fit in and no real interest in sports.

Met a pair of twins who were talking about video games. I didn't know squat about Nintendo outside the recent Pokemon boon and Mario but I used that as a way to initiate conversation.

Got invited to come to theirs to play this game called 'Super Smash Bros. 64'. I was awful at it but I fell in love with the concept of Nintendo's biggest stars fighting it out. Here I developed a love of Yoshi, previously a character I'd disliked due to his replacement of Toad in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show(which at the time was my main source of knowledge for the Mario series having grown up with Sonic).

That was around 20 years ago. To this day we still meet up every week to play Smash Bros. once a week although our fourth member has changed four times in those 20 years.

2. Yoshi. Honestly the reasoning is kind of dumb. Toad wasn't in Smash, Luigi hadn't been unlocked yet and someone else had already decided they were going to main Pikachu and Mario. That pretty much just left me with Yoshi from the cast I knew at the time. Smash turned me into a huge Yoshi fan.

3. Casual. I feel like if I tried competitive it'd feel too much like work and suck the fun out of the entire game for me. I've played the odd competitive player and have come out on top before but gaming is just a hobby for me.
Nice story. Nice to see you found good friends to be with throughout your days. I can't say the same about Super Smash Bros. I have a good amount of friends but they are more into Ps4 and X box systems. Even my brother and I game on different system till this day and throughout our lives so relating to Nintendo games was a bit harder to do.

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
For me it started with smash 64 with my brother. But i really got into the series more when I got a gamecube with melee for my birthday when i was 7 years old. I fell in love with it instantly. I went back to 64 and appreciated it more than before, but melee was my childhood game (I had many games that made my childhood, but i always came back to melee). Then some years later, brawl came around and smash bros became my favorite series of all time.

Currently i'm maining King K Rool, because he's extremely fun, and because of nostalgia since I had the entire trilogy on GBA!

Since smash 4, i tried to take the game a bit more competitively. I'm trying to be the best I can, but i'm not good enough to go to locals and I don't have the intention to. I'm mostly playing casually with my brother and my friends, but I try to best the best I can and i'm able to play reasonably well in online 1v1s (even though i'm slowly stopping to play ultimate online because of it being pretty terrible for a lot of reasons).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. I got "New Super Mario Bros Wii" and I was SOOOO bad, I had to see how others beat it. Clicking the first thing I found, and it was "The Runaway Guys." I loved their channel so much I decided to watch more, and then found their lets play of Super Smash Bros Brawl. I loved how that game looked, all my favorite Nintendo Characters (except the WAH) in one game!?!? I BEGED my parents endlessly to get me Super Smash Bros Brawl. And (obviously) I did.
2. I main Lucas because he's my best character.
3. I want to do competitive play, but no local tourneys nearby, none of my friends really like the game, and we I can't get a ride. So right now, I'm a casual.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Played 64 and melee very casually. Was too young to realize competitive play. Then Brawl came along and changed everything for me personally. Became a fairly competitive player and since smash 4 and now Ultimate, the series has cemented itself as my favorite of all time next to Pokémon.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
1. It was in one of the previews within the N64 UK Magazine which introduced me to the Smash franchise.
2. As for favourite characters, I started off with Pikachu, Link and Mario in the N64 version. But my personal faves include Cloud, Ryu and Roy.
3. I personally don't mind between competitive or casual, as long as I can have fun either ways.

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
Played 64 and melee very casually. Was too young to realize competitive play. Then Brawl came along and changed everything for me personally. Became a fairly competitive player and since smash 4 and now Ultimate, the series has cemented itself as my favorite of all time next to Pokémon.
That's awesome. Speaking of Pokémon, The new game Pokémon Sword and Shield looks really good. I never been a big fan but I really want to try this game. Do you have any thoughts on it ? ( Others can answer this too. )

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I like the novelty of the open world design for Pokemon, and I like that wild encounters look to be roaming instead of random. But I hate how much they look to be drawing from raids in Pokemon Go. I hope nothing important is locked behind a requirement to play with other people online.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I saw this
...and the rest was history.

At first I mained Fox until Brawl where I mained Snake. After that I never really had anyone who I consider a main because I like using several different styles.
I think I'm in a middle ground between competitive and casual if that makes sense to anyone.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I was introduced to the series one fateful day when my Dad brought me into a Gamestop. By that point, I had already found myself in an obsession with Mario and Sonic, with minor interest in Zelda (and awareness but no interest in Pokemon). So, when 7-year old me got to try a demo of Brawl, where Mario, Sonic, and Link were all together, I knew I wanted it. I got the game on my eighth birthday, immediately became obsessed, and used the series to become knowledgeable about the rest of Nintendo, and I still to this day have never stopped loving any of it.

My problem is that I can never seem to get any better at the game than being equal to a level 9 CPU. As such, I end up switching around my mains A TON trying to find the right character, which is quite challenging when you have almost 80 options. The only characters I seem to be really good at (provided that I'm not online) are K. Rool and PAC-MAN. Most recently I also had some time with R.O.B.

I TRY to play competitively, but as I already said, I just can't seem to get good. Regardless, I play under competitive rulesets.

BEASTMASTERTOAD

Smash Cadet
NNID
BEASTMASTERTOAD
I got into Smash Bros back when the 64 game released and I tried it at a friend’s house. It was my dream to play as Link in a fighting game, so I was sold. I’ve been playing ever since, but only started taking it more seriously in the last 5 years.

I main by game:
64: :ultlink:. As stated before, it was my dream to play as Link in a fighting game.
Melee: :ultlink:. Same as previous, only with even more fanaticism, since he looked awesome with the next gen graphics the game sported at the time.
Brawl: :ulttoonlink:/:ultganondorf:. WW Link is bae and I loved playing as Twilight Princess Ganondorf.
4: :ultshulk:. Shulk was my most wanted for this game and I nearly had a heart attack when he was confirmed. Never looked back.
Ultimate: :ultdarksamus:/:ultshulk:/:ultridley:. The Metroid baddies were my most wanted for this game, so I’ve dedicated myself to being good with them, and I still love my Monado boy.
III. Are you interested in competitive or casual play ?
Both. I am going to try a tourney for the first time in over 10 years this weekend. I have an uphill battle with the mains I’ve chosen, but I live the challenge. I also value just chilling out and playing online with custom stages.

My problem is that I can never seem to get any better at the game than being equal to a level 9 CPU. As such, I end up switching around my mains A TON trying to find the right character, which is quite challenging when you have almost 80 options. The only characters I seem to be really good at (provided that I'm not online) are K. Rool and PAC-MAN. Most recently I also had some time with R.O.B
What I suggest you do is either pick a character that you personally really love (it seems like either Mario or Sonic for you) or pick a character that is considered high-tier and work on getting good with that character.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I only had a NES and Sega consoles, and many of the games I had weren't even 1st party Nintendo games on the NES. So when I played Smash 64 I only knew of Mario, Luigi, Kirby, Pikachu and Jigglypuff. The game was a blast to play, but there were 3 characters that caught my interest. Link (because swords!), Samus ("he" just looked really cool and had awesome projectiles), and Fox who just seemed like an incredibly awesome character when I saw him. So I had to know more about these games and that's what got me looking into Nintendo's games. I got Smash Bros Melee after that and it was a blast. However it was mostly me vs Level 9 CPUs because everyone else who tried to play was really bad compared to me.... I did love those 3v1 matches because it made me feel awesome though. A good duel is the best thing ever, but Melee would be the first time I've had a good duel against a human opponent. I fought a friend who was a Mario main, and I was a Marth main. The matches were incredibly close, but whoever was Marth always won though. Wanted to do more competitive fun like that later on so I stuck with Smash more.

Smash is unique in that I feel like I can play any character and their gameplay will be fun to use. I don't have a set playstyle because I've played so many dang video games that I've had to adapt to many types of gameplay styles and there's always times where it's amazing and other times where it's the worst thing ever. So it's been very hard for me to pick a specific character to main in Smash, so how much I love a character greatly effects who I pick in Smash, more than any other game I've played because (usually) Nintendo characters are just so much more unique and intersting.
Melee Mains::marthmelee:(:linkmelee:)
:marthmelee: He's got a sword, cape, and "perfect" gameplay! Kept swapping between Link and Marth for my main in Melee, but Marth won out in the end because his range and speed makes it the easiest to deal with CPUs and I just haven't touched Melee with Human players. Anyone that I've said that says they play Melee competitively is actually really bad. So unless I go to a tournament, I'm probably not going to change who I play Melee with the most. However now that I love Ultimate so much I can't see myself going back to Melee outside of nostalgia trips. I don't play Marth in Later games because his range got nerfed, other characters with longer range were a thing as well, and then I realized that Marth as a character is the most boring thing ever and I never would have touched him if he didnt have the cape+sword+good gameplay.
:linkmelee: He's got a sword! I basically learned Smash off of Link because his hits felt so good to land compared to most characters. I also liked that he had projectiles, but when CPUs perfect block to reflect projectiles back at you all the time it kinda discourages projectile play. In Smash 4 I would learn to love that he has an option for every range and can mix things up, but in my Melee days I was a bad player who just used aerials and smash attacks.

Honorable Mentions:
:foxmelee: Fox was originally going to be my main. However I figured he was a bit too hard to pick up, so I'd use him later. However as time went on his short range made it hard to deal with CPUs who consistently perfect block you all the time. Whereas Link and Marth can attack at a distance and be safe on block. Melee Fox is my favorite version of Fox. Once I saw fox in his games, and in Brawl + Later smash games, he seemed like a generic good guy leader and his voice in brawl bothered my ears with certain attacks so I just couldn't play him anymore.
:mewtwomelee:I used to love characters based upon how powerful they were, so when I heard Mewtwo was in Smash I wanted to main him asap. Then I proceeded to hate Mewtwo because he was (and still is) my worst character in Melee (also a pokemon who is based around psychic attacks using their body to attack constantly just was a really jarring sight). Only later did I hear some backstory for Mewtwo that was cut from the movie that explains more things about him and now I love him again. Basically Mewtwo is the reason why I stopped caring how strong a character is.
:samusmelee:Samus I got decent with, but I hated her at first because like with Mewtwo, it's a character based around shooting but here they are punching and kicking for some strange reason. Also I struggled to do tilts, which makes things significantly easier when playing Samus, and I didn't understand how things worked. The Forward air and Up smash not always connecting hits was infuriating. Samus would get nerfed in Brawl so I hated playing Samus there too. However I would pick Samus back up in Smash 4 and that's when my Samus would really shine.
Brawl Mains: :metaknight::lucario:(:wolf:)
Got Brawl a week after the servers closed and that was the main reason why I bought Brawl..... At least Subspace made up for it!
:metaknight:Meta Knight: There's probably a bunch of reasons why I loved swords growing up. However Meta Knight is probably one of those largest reasons. The duel with Meta Knight just blew my mind, especially since I've never seen the concept of a duel before so I was shocked when he was basically giving me a sword (though a little afraid because the Sword is really hard to use because of his tiny it is in the air and laggy on the ground on the NES version). Meta Knight already looks really friggin awesome with his Mask, Cape and Sword. Him having the same spinning sword attack in the air is a nice big bonus because it's rarish to have games that have a character that can do the same thing you can do (at least when I was a kid). Of course, then he starts doing things I've never seen before, like blocking+countering your attacks if you hit him. Maintaining a specific distance from you at all times which was incredibly intimidating because at any moment he could charge at you, and if you don't react within 10 frames he can hit you with his fastest grounded attack (he has 3 grounded attacks), so you're going to get hit. You're expected to die on your first time because you just got done fighting with his last set of Meta Knight's army on a cramped icy map which is one of the hardest part in the game, and you get no heals after that. Which makes you feel like he's even tougher because you already lost to him. So after all of these really awesome things you unmask him to reveal that he is basically the same type of creature as you. Which made me go "WAIT A SECOND... YOU MEAN I CAN BE THAT AWESOME IF I KEEP ON TRAINING TO GET BETTER!?!?!?" So while there's a bazillion things in video games that make me want to constantly improve myself, that Meta Knight fight is one of the most memorable single moment from when I was a kid that made me want to get better at anything I do. Then Superstar came along and gave Meta Knight some cool new abilities, and we can't forget about him getting those super sweet wings. I'm a sucker for anything that has bat wings. Though some of the dialogue in Superstar is a bit.... cheesy, but I think the new abilities make up for that.

Meta Knight was the only character I knew that I wanted in Smash (might've seen the Lucario movie after seeing Lucario in Brawl). As for being in Brawl. I absolutely love his voice, it's exactly how I would want Meta Knight to sound like. I love being fast, being in the air, and having a sword, so Meta knight is just a natural fit for that. Though I was a bit shocked he didn't have the down thrust as his down air since he does that in every fight he's in. Also a bit sad he doesn't have his sword beam as a projectile because I like having a projectile. With that said I haven't touched Meta Knight much in Brawl because I heard he was basically the best character which made me go "Ah, so his reputation of being the toughest character in every video game he is in continues", and not want to play him because I don't want to feel like I'm cheating. After getting better with him in Smash 4 and then trying him out in Brawl, it really does feel like I'm cheating because I feel like I can do anything I want easily with Brawl Meta Knight.
Looks cool, awesome gameplay, gave me a memorable moment to think back to when trying to improve at something. 10/10 Fight me!
:lucario: Fresh off of watching the Lucario Movie, I absolutely loved Lucario because he is a really cool ninja aura master. Also because whenever I look at Lucario in that movie, it's like a representation of how I was when I was a kid/teenager. I generally have a hard time connecting with characters in media, but Lucario is one of the few characters that I related to extremely hard. So that gave me enough of a reason to want to care about Lucario enough to try hard to use him in Smash. In Brawl and Early Smash 4 I just never got the urge to play him despite me loving Lucario so much and that baffles me so much. However eventually I decided to use Lucario for a while and he's one of those characters that feels so stiff and janky at first, but once you get good with them, they flow so smoothly and everything is absolutely amazing.

Looks cool, awesome gameplay, uniquely reminds me of a particular time in my life. 10/10 Behold the power of the aura!
:wolf:Star Fox Assault is the only Star Fox game I own, but I am a sucker for anti-heroes so I love Wolf. Figured Lucario and Meta Knight would return so I stuck with Wolf and Snake, but Wolf I actually cared about outside of smash (even if just a little). So I got used to playing him and he felt so dang good to play. He's the first character I tried to do more difficult things like using side steps and such to get better at the game because the Brawl CPUs are much better fighters that don't rely on Perfect Blocking to get things done like Melee's CPUs did.

Honorable Mention:
:snake:Snake was a blast to play, and I wanted to get good with him in Brawl because I thought he'd never return. However due to teh short time of playing Brawl and not knowing anything about Metal Gear I didn't play him much. However he did force me to use tilts more often because of his smash attacks being very laggy.
:rob:R.O.B. holds a special place in my heart because as a kid I'd have him sit next to me while I played video games. He maybe useless but at least he was there. He seemed rather fun to use, but didn't touch him much until Smash 4.
Sm4sh Mains: :4metaknight::4lucario:(:4link::4cloud2::4samus:)
:4metaknight:Finally decided to force myself to stick with a character, and Meta Knight happened to be the one I picked. In an alternate timeline it could have been easily Lucario that I picked since Lucario and Meta Knight are my 2 "Loyalty Mains". Meta knight was my worst character for a long time. However after saying "screw it" and doing my silly "100 matches with every character" challenge, I played Sheik, and then after playing Sheik, everything with Meta Knight just clicked and I was absolutely destroying people with Meta Knight (even if I only ever did the up air into up b combo once..... on a DK. Came close a few other times but they kept leading into wrong way up b, or just barely whiffing the last up air). It was incredibly fun playing Meta Knight, and unlike any other character, people would keep changing their tags to say that they love fighting my Meta Knight which made me feel awesome and I wanted to keep playing him because people kept loving when I played Meta Knight.

Look at Brawl Mains so you know why I initially played him.
:4lucario:Played Lucario a bunch 2/3 the way through Sm4sh's life. Stiff at first, but felt so smooth later. His Aura was absolutely absurd, and I loved how tense a match is with Lucario in it. Whether you play Lucario, or are against Lucario, when he gets high %, the pressure is on! I did pretty well whenever I played Lucario. Also helps that no matter the skill level I'm against it can be fun to play with Lucario because I get to have fun beating lesser players seeing what Lucario can do at low % against bad players, and higher skill levels I have to focus very hard throughout the entire match because low % I need to make sure I consistently hit the opponent and high % I need to make sure I don't get hit. However, Meta Knight was still my main in Smash 4.
:4link:Didn't touch Link much in Brawl, but in early Smash 4 I used him a lot. Link just felt so dang good in this game and most people couldn't beat my Link and only crazy good people could KO my Link. After using Meta Knight for a long time, and getting a LAN adapter, going back to Link late game I was just terrible with him. Question is, did my playstyle shift to using Meta Knight so much that I no longer could play Link, or was the lack of LAN adapter giving me an edge with Link this whole time? Or both? Anywho, whoever would beat my link, would lose to my Samus, unless they were a player that plays faaaar more than I do.
:4samus:Link + Samus were my mains early Smash. Samus was played a little less, but she did teach me how to use tilts more. I love the Metroid games, especially Super Metroid because it made me feel afraid sometimes which doesn't happen often in video games. Sadly I don't care much for Samus as a character, but at least she looks friggin awesome in her suit. However the main reason why I love playing Samus is seeing the change in the other player's playstyle once I have a fully charged shot. I just love seeing the fear in the other opponent. Seeing them stumble around doing weird things expecting a charge shot, when I was never planning to do it in the first place because I knew they wanted to dodge it, so I get to hit them with other things very easily. Then whenever I see someone swap to Fox or Falco I get very happy because I always knew that it meant that next match was going to be very easy. I never lost a fight against fox or falco using Samus in Smash 4 :3
:4ganondorf:Speaking of Fear, while not a main or even secondary because I do silly things with him too much, he definitely has hundreds of matches that's up there. I just love how people's playstyles change when they start losing to a Ganondorf. Even if someone is far better at playing the game than me, if I do well at all with Ganondorf against them, the rest of the day they will not be able to beat me when I play Ganondorf or swap to another character. Ganondorf gets into peoples heads! However even casually Ganondorf is a blast to play. Now if only I cared about Ganondorf as a character. He's probably one of the weaker parts of Zelda games imo because he's just a cheesy villain (which most Zelda villains are for some strange reason).
:4cloud2:Cloud is the easiest character I've ever used in Smash. He's very fun to use. However because he's so easy, I didn't spend time with him because I was trying to learn other characters. So Cloud was kinda a main because I always did very well with him whenever I did bring him out. However, he only had a couple hundred matches because I just didn't see myself getting significantly better with playing matches. He looks cool and feels fun to play, but I don't care about the character. So he's in this weird spot where I don't know if I'll pick him back up or not.
:4charizard:Speaking of easy to use, Charizard is the second easiest to use character for me (Cloud is easier because he can get away with things easily). I tried so hard to main this guy early Smash 4. I did very well. However, he's just so basic that I got bored over time of doing the same things because basically all his moves hit the opponent too far away to follow up with anything
Ultimate Mains::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultridley:(:ultrob::ultwolf::ultmewtwo::ultdarksamus::ultyounglink::ultlink:){:ultdarkpit::ultjoker::ultsheik::ultgreninja::ultinklingboy::ultpichu::ultroy:}
:ultmetaknight:Meta Knight I used him so much in Smash 4, so I figured I'd use him to get used to Ultimate. He feels so much better in this game. However I haven't played him after getting used to the mechanics of ultimate because I'm still trying to learn all the characters. Though one friend likes joking about how he used to main Ridley and now he mains Meta Knight (because of me go figure), and now I "main" Ridley because of how often I've been playing Ridley. So with that said....
:ultridley:Ridley feels like a bigger Meta Knight with some influence from Ganondorf, and a bit more to make him more uniquely Ridley added on top. So Ridley feels absolutely amazing to me, competitively and casually. While I forced myself to use Meta Knight for a while, Ridley has the most matches of a character that I have not forced myself to play. I do very well with him. I've always liked Ridley because I always viewed him as the Meta Knight of the Metroid series. A recurring speedy rival character. While it's easier for me to play a character I can see part of myself in them, sometimes it's nice to just do something completely different, like being a evil villain like Ridley or Ganondork.
:ultlucario: Lucario Feels like he'd actually be my main if I were to call someone my main. He's so much faster and everything feels better in this game, I love it! His gameplay also forces me to focus on the match the entire time. Which is very important because I seem to get underwhelmed too much when I beat someone too hard, and sometimes overwhelmed if I am losing too much. So far in Ultimate my Lucario matches have been entertaining to play/watch and I look forward to many more of those matches. Especially with me finally getting a main series Pokemon game for the first time since Pokemon Ruby that will be making me want to play Lucario more.
:ultrob:R.O.B. is shockingly fun to play. I feel like I always have a mixup for any situation to always keep the opponent guessing and he has some interesting combos as well. I've always done will with him in Ultimate so far, but eventually I gotta play him more to make him mindblowingly fun to play+watch. In Brawl I just didnt get to play him much. In Smash 4 I didn't like getting combod like crazy and felt helpless if someone was below or behind me, but now I'm okay with that. So I see things only getting better with R.O.B. for me as long as other characters don't distract me.
:ultwolf:Wolf feels amazing to play, but I feel like he's carrying me so it'll be hard to make me want to play him for a while. However he looks cool and has "perfect" gameplay, so there is still a strong chance he could be a main at some point.
:ultmewtwo:Mewtwo gave me troubles in Melee and in Sm4sh, but recently I've decided to use Mewtwo a lot and now he's decent. I feel like he could be a main because some reasons why I like Mewtwo kinda overlaps with Lucario along with some unique things. However Mewtwo is a character that feels like you need to be very good with to enjoy them, but I don't know if I have the time right now to make them feel super fluid like Lucario.
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: Learned smash off of Link. However, none of these Links play exactly the same as Smash 4 Link. Toon Link was always one of my worst characters in Smash 4 despite Link being one of my best. Toon Link just goes for drastically different things and I feel so helpless in the air with Toon Link. I feel like if I played with Toon Link more I could fix that and he could be the best. Link's new remote bomb play shenanigans feels like they could lead to awesome cool things, but I don't know if I'd have the time to lab out all the things you can do with the bomb. Young Link feels like a faster better Sm4sh Link, but the lack of range is going to mess me up so hard, probably harder than Marth's range nerf from Melee to Brawl. So it's difficult to choose which Link to play unless I were to play nothing but the 3 Links for months so I could decide.
:ultdarksamus::ultsamus: Samus/Dark Samus. I prefer Dark Samus because it's cooler. Also I loved the recurring battles in Prime 2, also the melee emphasis that Samus/Dark Samus feels more natural to Dark Samus because Dark Samus does actually hit you with physical attacks in the games. Been playing against someone who is a Dark Samus main too so I've been having fun playing the character. So while it feels good to scare people just like I did in Smash 4, I'm not sure if I could totally main Dark Samus because I don't think I love the character enough. If I don't love the character enough, that can hurt motivation to play them a lot.
:ultjoker:Joker is lookin' cool, and his gameplay feels amazing.... For some reason though, I just can't get the urge to play him. Perhaps we have a Lucario situation where I just won't touch him until much later, and then he'll feel so great I won't want to main other characters. Just on paper, he feels like a character that has "perfect gameplay" for me. Also I haven't played Persona 5 so that doesn't let me know more about him, and I have a feeling even if I did, he's just an avatar character. I don't play characters based on game, I play them based on the character.
:ultsheik:I do not care for Sheik as a character because all they did was stand there and talk (but I played Ocarina a long time ago, perhaps if I go back now, my opinion will change). However I love Sheik because Sheik is a ninja, and Sheik has "perfect gameplay". So there is a chance to be a main there. However lacking love for the character, and being in competition with Joker for similar reasons is going to make things a bit unlikely to become a Sheik main.
:ultgreninja:Greninja is also a ninja, Ninjas are awesome! Realizing his badass scarf is actually his tongue really detracts some badass points though. However he still feels like he's be very fun to play. However i do not care for him in the Pokemon games at all, so there is a little lack of love for the character there. Also he feels pretty stiff to use right now, I feel like with enough time he would feel fluid like Lucario does, perhaps moreso. I just don't know if I'll get to play him enough to do so.
:ultdarkpit:Dark Pit looks really cool, has a projectile, a counter, a reflector, multijumps, "swords", and he just feels so good to play as is. At the time of this post I'm playing him trying to get him into elite smash (and then purposely never letting Pit get into Elite Smash because.... well you know why). I don't have as much time as I used to so perhaps a simpler character like Dark Pit might be good for me as he still has follow ups, but he doesn't have anything crazy. Also taking a quick glance at some Kid Icarus wiki, I feel like he has the potential to be a character I would love the heck out of, but I'll probably never play the games so I will never know if that's the case, or if it'd be a case where he basically only serves as a mid-boss with some uninspired lines that would make me not care about him.
:ultinklingboy:Inkling - Don't care about the character, but the gameplay is fun and I hangout in a splatoon discord. Perhaps someday they could win me over with their slick gameplay, but lack of motivation is probably gonna kill them for me. Also I don't want to infuriate people with the roller. I want a good duel. I'm not here to infuriate people.
:ultpichu:I feel an overwhelming joy when I play Pichu. Also Pichu is a glass cannon, underdog (well not in Ultimate), small speedy character. Also someone I helped get better with Pikachu can now kick my butt, so being their little Pichu bro would be pretty cool. Do not care for Pichu outside of Smash, so that can be a problem for motivation to play Pichu.
:ultroy:Marth did have "perfect gameplay", so having a Marth clone would be nice. The swordies all look decent (not amazing, but not bad), so just picking one is hard. It's a tossup between Roy or Lucina. Lucina because she's very basic, Roy because he's much more interesting out of the 4 and is much more fun to watch. I feel logically I should go Lucina due to lack of time, but my emotions just scream "GO ROY!". I don't know anything about Fire Emblem, so lack of motivation for love of characters. Lucina seems cooler outside of smash because of being from a doomed timeline, but on the other side, Roy's our boy in Smash... I love his neutral b, and that HYYYYAH!
:ultswordfighter:Mii Sword Fighter is gameplay only because there is no character, so can't get motivation for loving the character with mii swordfighter. In Smash 4 Mii Swordfighter felt so amazing to play, but I never had the chance to play it. Now that we can play them online I want to play them, but now there's just too many characters that are higher on the priority list to play Mii Sword Fighter. Then Mii Sword Fighter feels slower in this game compared to Smash 4 which really sucks. Then Rathalos armor which was my favorite got removed as well. So things are not looking great for Mii Swordfighter. Which is a shame because I had some great times in Smash 4 and was hoping to finally get the chance to main them.
Depends on how casual. Items and such are okay for a short time but I stop thinking about the game with that stuff is on, so it's not as fun. I prefer more competitive matches. However even if I like things more competitive, I highly doubt I'll go to a tournament anytime soon. Lack of time, money, and it's difficult to enjoy being near people in real life because of how I grew up. Working on it, perhaps someday I will have those things and be able to enjoy the tournament scene, but it's probably safer to say it's not for me. Just going to stick to playing competitively online.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I. While I owned a GameCube, Melee never really caught my attention for whatever reason. I only became properly interested in the series during the lead up to Brawl. Brawl was fun because several of my friends at school (was about 13/14 during the leadup) were getting it as well, and it provided many hours of entertainment. However, my interest waned during the leadup to Smash 4 as I wasn't very interested in Nintendo at that point (never owned a Wii U and bought a 3DS relatively late). It's only when Ultimate was announced that I got back into the series, especially when I joined the forum last September.

II. As in Smash 4, I main ROB. I'm not sure why I started maining him in the first place, as my only prior exposure to the character had been through Mario Kart DS. However, I must have loved his playstyle or something, as he stuck with me. While Olimar was properly my main in Brawl (he was the character I had wanted the most), over time I've come to realise that I just enjoy playing as ROB more.

III. It's difficult to give a clear answer to this one. I'd never really had the motivation to put in the hours to become good at competitive play (never attended a tourney), but I don't really enjoy playing with items on and play a fair bit with fairly competitive-suited rules online.

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I like the novelty of the open world design for Pokemon, and I like that wild encounters look to be roaming instead of random. But I hate how much they look to be drawing from raids in Pokemon Go. I hope nothing important is locked behind a requirement to play with other people online.
I can't agree more. This vast open world seem really exciting and promising. It looks soo pretty, however, I never played Pokémon Go. But the raid here seem pretty fun and agree with your point.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
this bring back memories!

1: when i had to stay at the hospital as a child for 4 to 6 weeks, i befriended a boy older then me, he actually introduced me to Smash, the hospital had a nintendo console with the Smash 64 game that we were allowed to use! so me and my friend often played on that (i can't remember much of that time cause meh it wasn't the best time of my life...)

after i was allowed to go home i saw a game called Melee in the store, a very similar game to something i played alot and liked, i begged my mom for a gamecube and melee and eventually with my birthday i got them! and ever since i loved the smash games :D

2: my first fave character to play as was Peach..but since i felt embarassed for my friends teasing me etc i decided to pick a different character if i played with them, but i think after Brawl, Toon Link, Falco & Zelda became my all time faves as well and with Ultimate that list grew (i kinda skipped Smash 4 since i just had alot of other hobbies i enjoyed during that time and i only heard bad things about the Wii U)

3: hm...i do not consider myself competitive but i do kinda try to learn matchups and improve where i can but other then that i just play the game for fun but yeah i do play to win though xD

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry about your time in the hospital but, it's nice to see something good come out of a bad situation. Great choices in characters. If you can, still use Peach. I love seeing her and Daisy because the amazing float cancel combos and setups that can be achieve. She so Technically demanding and hard to use even at a casual level at times. But at the same time fun overall.

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I. While I owned a GameCube, Melee never really caught my attention for whatever reason. I only became properly interested in the series during the lead up to Brawl. Brawl was fun because several of my friends at school (was about 13/14 during the leadup) were getting it as well, and it provided many hours of entertainment. However, my interest waned during the leadup to Smash 4 as I wasn't very interested in Nintendo at that point (never owned a Wii U and bought a 3DS relatively late). It's only when Ultimate was announced that I got back into the series, especially when I joined the forum last September.

II. As in Smash 4, I main ROB. I'm not sure why I started maining him in the first place, as my only prior exposure to the character had been through Mario Kart DS. However, I must have loved his playstyle or something, as he stuck with me. While Olimar was properly my main in Brawl (he was the character I had wanted the most), over time I've come to realise that I just enjoy playing as ROB more.

III. It's difficult to give a clear answer to this one. I'd never really had the motivation to put in the hours to become good at competitive play (never attended a tourney), but I don't really enjoy playing with items on and play a fair bit with fairly competitive-suited rules online.
Cool. I can agree with your last point. I am all about having fun and while items are fun to me, majority of the time I thought the best way to have fun was to feel like a fair 1 v 1 game. It's why I love the options system in this game because you are able to use Battlefield forms of stages which was not a thing in For Glory. It makes it fun to me.

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
I only had a NES and Sega consoles, and many of the games I had weren't even 1st party Nintendo games on the NES. So when I played Smash 64 I only knew of Mario, Luigi, Kirby, Pikachu and Jigglypuff. The game was a blast to play, but there were 3 characters that caught my interest. Link (because swords!), Samus ("he" just looked really cool and had awesome projectiles), and Fox who just seemed like an incredibly awesome character when I saw him. So I had to know more about these games and that's what got me looking into Nintendo's games. I got Smash Bros Melee after that and it was a blast. However it was mostly me vs Level 9 CPUs because everyone else who tried to play was really bad compared to me.... I did love those 3v1 matches because it made me feel awesome though. A good duel is the best thing ever, but Melee would be the first time I've had a good duel against a human opponent. I fought a friend who was a Mario main, and I was a Marth main. The matches were incredibly close, but whoever was Marth always won though. Wanted to do more competitive fun like that later on so I stuck with Smash more.

Smash is unique in that I feel like I can play any character and their gameplay will be fun to use. I don't have a set playstyle because I've played so many dang video games that I've had to adapt to many types of gameplay styles and there's always times where it's amazing and other times where it's the worst thing ever. So it's been very hard for me to pick a specific character to main in Smash, so how much I love a character greatly effects who I pick in Smash, more than any other game I've played because (usually) Nintendo characters are just so much more unique and intersting.
Melee Mains::marthmelee:(:linkmelee:)
:marthmelee: He's got a sword, cape, and "perfect" gameplay! Kept swapping between Link and Marth for my main in Melee, but Marth won out in the end because his range and speed makes it the easiest to deal with CPUs and I just haven't touched Melee with Human players. Anyone that I've said that says they play Melee competitively is actually really bad. So unless I go to a tournament, I'm probably not going to change who I play Melee with the most. However now that I love Ultimate so much I can't see myself going back to Melee outside of nostalgia trips. I don't play Marth in Later games because his range got nerfed, other characters with longer range were a thing as well, and then I realized that Marth as a character is the most boring thing ever and I never would have touched him if he didnt have the cape+sword+good gameplay.
:linkmelee: He's got a sword! I basically learned Smash off of Link because his hits felt so good to land compared to most characters. I also liked that he had projectiles, but when CPUs perfect block to reflect projectiles back at you all the time it kinda discourages projectile play. In Smash 4 I would learn to love that he has an option for every range and can mix things up, but in my Melee days I was a bad player who just used aerials and smash attacks.

Honorable Mentions:
:foxmelee: Fox was originally going to be my main. However I figured he was a bit too hard to pick up, so I'd use him later. However as time went on his short range made it hard to deal with CPUs who consistently perfect block you all the time. Whereas Link and Marth can attack at a distance and be safe on block. Melee Fox is my favorite version of Fox. Once I saw fox in his games, and in Brawl + Later smash games, he seemed like a generic good guy leader and his voice in brawl bothered my ears with certain attacks so I just couldn't play him anymore.
:mewtwomelee:I used to love characters based upon how powerful they were, so when I heard Mewtwo was in Smash I wanted to main him asap. Then I proceeded to hate Mewtwo because he was (and still is) my worst character in Melee (also a pokemon who is based around psychic attacks using their body to attack constantly just was a really jarring sight). Only later did I hear some backstory for Mewtwo that was cut from the movie that explains more things about him and now I love him again. Basically Mewtwo is the reason why I stopped caring how strong a character is.
:samusmelee:Samus I got decent with, but I hated her at first because like with Mewtwo, it's a character based around shooting but here they are punching and kicking for some strange reason. Also I struggled to do tilts, which makes things significantly easier when playing Samus, and I didn't understand how things worked. The Forward air and Up smash not always connecting hits was infuriating. Samus would get nerfed in Brawl so I hated playing Samus there too. However I would pick Samus back up in Smash 4 and that's when my Samus would really shine.
Brawl Mains: :metaknight::lucario:(:wolf:)
Got Brawl a week after the servers closed and that was the main reason why I bought Brawl..... At least Subspace made up for it!
:metaknight:Meta Knight: There's probably a bunch of reasons why I loved swords growing up. However Meta Knight is probably one of those largest reasons. The duel with Meta Knight just blew my mind, especially since I've never seen the concept of a duel before so I was shocked when he was basically giving me a sword (though a little afraid because the Sword is really hard to use because of his tiny it is in the air and laggy on the ground on the NES version). Meta Knight already looks really friggin awesome with his Mask, Cape and Sword. Him having the same spinning sword attack in the air is a nice big bonus because it's rarish to have games that have a character that can do the same thing you can do (at least when I was a kid). Of course, then he starts doing things I've never seen before, like blocking+countering your attacks if you hit him. Maintaining a specific distance from you at all times which was incredibly intimidating because at any moment he could charge at you, and if you don't react within 10 frames he can hit you with his fastest grounded attack (he has 3 grounded attacks), so you're going to get hit. You're expected to die on your first time because you just got done fighting with his last set of Meta Knight's army on a cramped icy map which is one of the hardest part in the game, and you get no heals after that. Which makes you feel like he's even tougher because you already lost to him. So after all of these really awesome things you unmask him to reveal that he is basically the same type of creature as you. Which made me go "WAIT A SECOND... YOU MEAN I CAN BE THAT AWESOME IF I KEEP ON TRAINING TO GET BETTER!?!?!?" So while there's a bazillion things in video games that make me want to constantly improve myself, that Meta Knight fight is one of the most memorable single moment from when I was a kid that made me want to get better at anything I do. Then Superstar came along and gave Meta Knight some cool new abilities, and we can't forget about him getting those super sweet wings. I'm a sucker for anything that has bat wings. Though some of the dialogue in Superstar is a bit.... cheesy, but I think the new abilities make up for that.

Meta Knight was the only character I knew that I wanted in Smash (might've seen the Lucario movie after seeing Lucario in Brawl). As for being in Brawl. I absolutely love his voice, it's exactly how I would want Meta Knight to sound like. I love being fast, being in the air, and having a sword, so Meta knight is just a natural fit for that. Though I was a bit shocked he didn't have the down thrust as his down air since he does that in every fight he's in. Also a bit sad he doesn't have his sword beam as a projectile because I like having a projectile. With that said I haven't touched Meta Knight much in Brawl because I heard he was basically the best character which made me go "Ah, so his reputation of being the toughest character in every video game he is in continues", and not want to play him because I don't want to feel like I'm cheating. After getting better with him in Smash 4 and then trying him out in Brawl, it really does feel like I'm cheating because I feel like I can do anything I want easily with Brawl Meta Knight.
Looks cool, awesome gameplay, gave me a memorable moment to think back to when trying to improve at something. 10/10 Fight me!
:lucario: Fresh off of watching the Lucario Movie, I absolutely loved Lucario because he is a really cool ninja aura master. Also because whenever I look at Lucario in that movie, it's like a representation of how I was when I was a kid/teenager. I generally have a hard time connecting with characters in media, but Lucario is one of the few characters that I related to extremely hard. So that gave me enough of a reason to want to care about Lucario enough to try hard to use him in Smash. In Brawl and Early Smash 4 I just never got the urge to play him despite me loving Lucario so much and that baffles me so much. However eventually I decided to use Lucario for a while and he's one of those characters that feels so stiff and janky at first, but once you get good with them, they flow so smoothly and everything is absolutely amazing.

Looks cool, awesome gameplay, uniquely reminds me of a particular time in my life. 10/10 Behold the power of the aura!
:wolf:Star Fox Assault is the only Star Fox game I own, but I am a sucker for anti-heroes so I love Wolf. Figured Lucario and Meta Knight would return so I stuck with Wolf and Snake, but Wolf I actually cared about outside of smash (even if just a little). So I got used to playing him and he felt so dang good to play. He's the first character I tried to do more difficult things like using side steps and such to get better at the game because the Brawl CPUs are much better fighters that don't rely on Perfect Blocking to get things done like Melee's CPUs did.

Honorable Mention:
:snake:Snake was a blast to play, and I wanted to get good with him in Brawl because I thought he'd never return. However due to teh short time of playing Brawl and not knowing anything about Metal Gear I didn't play him much. However he did force me to use tilts more often because of his smash attacks being very laggy.
:rob:R.O.B. holds a special place in my heart because as a kid I'd have him sit next to me while I played video games. He maybe useless but at least he was there. He seemed rather fun to use, but didn't touch him much until Smash 4.
Sm4sh Mains: :4metaknight::4lucario:(:4link::4cloud2::4samus:)
:4metaknight:Finally decided to force myself to stick with a character, and Meta Knight happened to be the one I picked. In an alternate timeline it could have been easily Lucario that I picked since Lucario and Meta Knight are my 2 "Loyalty Mains". Meta knight was my worst character for a long time. However after saying "screw it" and doing my silly "100 matches with every character" challenge, I played Sheik, and then after playing Sheik, everything with Meta Knight just clicked and I was absolutely destroying people with Meta Knight (even if I only ever did the up air into up b combo once..... on a DK. Came close a few other times but they kept leading into wrong way up b, or just barely whiffing the last up air). It was incredibly fun playing Meta Knight, and unlike any other character, people would keep changing their tags to say that they love fighting my Meta Knight which made me feel awesome and I wanted to keep playing him because people kept loving when I played Meta Knight.

Look at Brawl Mains so you know why I initially played him.
:4lucario:Played Lucario a bunch 2/3 the way through Sm4sh's life. Stiff at first, but felt so smooth later. His Aura was absolutely absurd, and I loved how tense a match is with Lucario in it. Whether you play Lucario, or are against Lucario, when he gets high %, the pressure is on! I did pretty well whenever I played Lucario. Also helps that no matter the skill level I'm against it can be fun to play with Lucario because I get to have fun beating lesser players seeing what Lucario can do at low % against bad players, and higher skill levels I have to focus very hard throughout the entire match because low % I need to make sure I consistently hit the opponent and high % I need to make sure I don't get hit. However, Meta Knight was still my main in Smash 4.
:4link:Didn't touch Link much in Brawl, but in early Smash 4 I used him a lot. Link just felt so dang good in this game and most people couldn't beat my Link and only crazy good people could KO my Link. After using Meta Knight for a long time, and getting a LAN adapter, going back to Link late game I was just terrible with him. Question is, did my playstyle shift to using Meta Knight so much that I no longer could play Link, or was the lack of LAN adapter giving me an edge with Link this whole time? Or both? Anywho, whoever would beat my link, would lose to my Samus, unless they were a player that plays faaaar more than I do.
:4samus:Link + Samus were my mains early Smash. Samus was played a little less, but she did teach me how to use tilts more. I love the Metroid games, especially Super Metroid because it made me feel afraid sometimes which doesn't happen often in video games. Sadly I don't care much for Samus as a character, but at least she looks friggin awesome in her suit. However the main reason why I love playing Samus is seeing the change in the other player's playstyle once I have a fully charged shot. I just love seeing the fear in the other opponent. Seeing them stumble around doing weird things expecting a charge shot, when I was never planning to do it in the first place because I knew they wanted to dodge it, so I get to hit them with other things very easily. Then whenever I see someone swap to Fox or Falco I get very happy because I always knew that it meant that next match was going to be very easy. I never lost a fight against fox or falco using Samus in Smash 4 :3
:4ganondorf:Speaking of Fear, while not a main or even secondary because I do silly things with him too much, he definitely has hundreds of matches that's up there. I just love how people's playstyles change when they start losing to a Ganondorf. Even if someone is far better at playing the game than me, if I do well at all with Ganondorf against them, the rest of the day they will not be able to beat me when I play Ganondorf or swap to another character. Ganondorf gets into peoples heads! However even casually Ganondorf is a blast to play. Now if only I cared about Ganondorf as a character. He's probably one of the weaker parts of Zelda games imo because he's just a cheesy villain (which most Zelda villains are for some strange reason).
:4cloud2:Cloud is the easiest character I've ever used in Smash. He's very fun to use. However because he's so easy, I didn't spend time with him because I was trying to learn other characters. So Cloud was kinda a main because I always did very well with him whenever I did bring him out. However, he only had a couple hundred matches because I just didn't see myself getting significantly better with playing matches. He looks cool and feels fun to play, but I don't care about the character. So he's in this weird spot where I don't know if I'll pick him back up or not.
:4charizard:Speaking of easy to use, Charizard is the second easiest to use character for me (Cloud is easier because he can get away with things easily). I tried so hard to main this guy early Smash 4. I did very well. However, he's just so basic that I got bored over time of doing the same things because basically all his moves hit the opponent too far away to follow up with anything
Ultimate Mains::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultridley:(:ultrob::ultwolf::ultmewtwo::ultdarksamus::ultyounglink::ultlink:){:ultdarkpit::ultjoker::ultsheik::ultgreninja::ultinklingboy::ultpichu::ultroy:}
:ultmetaknight:Meta Knight I used him so much in Smash 4, so I figured I'd use him to get used to Ultimate. He feels so much better in this game. However I haven't played him after getting used to the mechanics of ultimate because I'm still trying to learn all the characters. Though one friend likes joking about how he used to main Ridley and now he mains Meta Knight (because of me go figure), and now I "main" Ridley because of how often I've been playing Ridley. So with that said....
:ultridley:Ridley feels like a bigger Meta Knight with some influence from Ganondorf, and a bit more to make him more uniquely Ridley added on top. So Ridley feels absolutely amazing to me, competitively and casually. While I forced myself to use Meta Knight for a while, Ridley has the most matches of a character that I have not forced myself to play. I do very well with him. I've always liked Ridley because I always viewed him as the Meta Knight of the Metroid series. A recurring speedy rival character. While it's easier for me to play a character I can see part of myself in them, sometimes it's nice to just do something completely different, like being a evil villain like Ridley or Ganondork.
:ultlucario: Lucario Feels like he'd actually be my main if I were to call someone my main. He's so much faster and everything feels better in this game, I love it! His gameplay also forces me to focus on the match the entire time. Which is very important because I seem to get underwhelmed too much when I beat someone too hard, and sometimes overwhelmed if I am losing too much. So far in Ultimate my Lucario matches have been entertaining to play/watch and I look forward to many more of those matches. Especially with me finally getting a main series Pokemon game for the first time since Pokemon Ruby that will be making me want to play Lucario more.
:ultrob:R.O.B. is shockingly fun to play. I feel like I always have a mixup for any situation to always keep the opponent guessing and he has some interesting combos as well. I've always done will with him in Ultimate so far, but eventually I gotta play him more to make him mindblowingly fun to play+watch. In Brawl I just didnt get to play him much. In Smash 4 I didn't like getting combod like crazy and felt helpless if someone was below or behind me, but now I'm okay with that. So I see things only getting better with R.O.B. for me as long as other characters don't distract me.
:ultwolf:Wolf feels amazing to play, but I feel like he's carrying me so it'll be hard to make me want to play him for a while. However he looks cool and has "perfect" gameplay, so there is still a strong chance he could be a main at some point.
:ultmewtwo:Mewtwo gave me troubles in Melee and in Sm4sh, but recently I've decided to use Mewtwo a lot and now he's decent. I feel like he could be a main because some reasons why I like Mewtwo kinda overlaps with Lucario along with some unique things. However Mewtwo is a character that feels like you need to be very good with to enjoy them, but I don't know if I have the time right now to make them feel super fluid like Lucario.
:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: Learned smash off of Link. However, none of these Links play exactly the same as Smash 4 Link. Toon Link was always one of my worst characters in Smash 4 despite Link being one of my best. Toon Link just goes for drastically different things and I feel so helpless in the air with Toon Link. I feel like if I played with Toon Link more I could fix that and he could be the best. Link's new remote bomb play shenanigans feels like they could lead to awesome cool things, but I don't know if I'd have the time to lab out all the things you can do with the bomb. Young Link feels like a faster better Sm4sh Link, but the lack of range is going to mess me up so hard, probably harder than Marth's range nerf from Melee to Brawl. So it's difficult to choose which Link to play unless I were to play nothing but the 3 Links for months so I could decide.
:ultdarksamus::ultsamus: Samus/Dark Samus. I prefer Dark Samus because it's cooler. Also I loved the recurring battles in Prime 2, also the melee emphasis that Samus/Dark Samus feels more natural to Dark Samus because Dark Samus does actually hit you with physical attacks in the games. Been playing against someone who is a Dark Samus main too so I've been having fun playing the character. So while it feels good to scare people just like I did in Smash 4, I'm not sure if I could totally main Dark Samus because I don't think I love the character enough. If I don't love the character enough, that can hurt motivation to play them a lot.
:ultjoker:Joker is lookin' cool, and his gameplay feels amazing.... For some reason though, I just can't get the urge to play him. Perhaps we have a Lucario situation where I just won't touch him until much later, and then he'll feel so great I won't want to main other characters. Just on paper, he feels like a character that has "perfect gameplay" for me. Also I haven't played Persona 5 so that doesn't let me know more about him, and I have a feeling even if I did, he's just an avatar character. I don't play characters based on game, I play them based on the character.
:ultsheik:I do not care for Sheik as a character because all they did was stand there and talk (but I played Ocarina a long time ago, perhaps if I go back now, my opinion will change). However I love Sheik because Sheik is a ninja, and Sheik has "perfect gameplay". So there is a chance to be a main there. However lacking love for the character, and being in competition with Joker for similar reasons is going to make things a bit unlikely to become a Sheik main.
:ultgreninja:Greninja is also a ninja, Ninjas are awesome! Realizing his badass scarf is actually his tongue really detracts some badass points though. However he still feels like he's be very fun to play. However i do not care for him in the Pokemon games at all, so there is a little lack of love for the character there. Also he feels pretty stiff to use right now, I feel like with enough time he would feel fluid like Lucario does, perhaps moreso. I just don't know if I'll get to play him enough to do so.
:ultdarkpit:Dark Pit looks really cool, has a projectile, a counter, a reflector, multijumps, "swords", and he just feels so good to play as is. At the time of this post I'm playing him trying to get him into elite smash (and then purposely never letting Pit get into Elite Smash because.... well you know why). I don't have as much time as I used to so perhaps a simpler character like Dark Pit might be good for me as he still has follow ups, but he doesn't have anything crazy. Also taking a quick glance at some Kid Icarus wiki, I feel like he has the potential to be a character I would love the heck out of, but I'll probably never play the games so I will never know if that's the case, or if it'd be a case where he basically only serves as a mid-boss with some uninspired lines that would make me not care about him.
:ultinklingboy:Inkling - Don't care about the character, but the gameplay is fun and I hangout in a splatoon discord. Perhaps someday they could win me over with their slick gameplay, but lack of motivation is probably gonna kill them for me. Also I don't want to infuriate people with the roller. I want a good duel. I'm not here to infuriate people.
:ultpichu:I feel an overwhelming joy when I play Pichu. Also Pichu is a glass cannon, underdog (well not in Ultimate), small speedy character. Also someone I helped get better with Pikachu can now kick my butt, so being their little Pichu bro would be pretty cool. Do not care for Pichu outside of Smash, so that can be a problem for motivation to play Pichu.
:ultroy:Marth did have "perfect gameplay", so having a Marth clone would be nice. The swordies all look decent (not amazing, but not bad), so just picking one is hard. It's a tossup between Roy or Lucina. Lucina because she's very basic, Roy because he's much more interesting out of the 4 and is much more fun to watch. I feel logically I should go Lucina due to lack of time, but my emotions just scream "GO ROY!". I don't know anything about Fire Emblem, so lack of motivation for love of characters. Lucina seems cooler outside of smash because of being from a doomed timeline, but on the other side, Roy's our boy in Smash... I love his neutral b, and that HYYYYAH!
:ultswordfighter:Mii Sword Fighter is gameplay only because there is no character, so can't get motivation for loving the character with mii swordfighter. In Smash 4 Mii Swordfighter felt so amazing to play, but I never had the chance to play it. Now that we can play them online I want to play them, but now there's just too many characters that are higher on the priority list to play Mii Sword Fighter. Then Mii Sword Fighter feels slower in this game compared to Smash 4 which really sucks. Then Rathalos armor which was my favorite got removed as well. So things are not looking great for Mii Swordfighter. Which is a shame because I had some great times in Smash 4 and was hoping to finally get the chance to main them.
Depends on how casual. Items and such are okay for a short time but I stop thinking about the game with that stuff is on, so it's not as fun. I prefer more competitive matches. However even if I like things more competitive, I highly doubt I'll go to a tournament anytime soon. Lack of time, money, and it's difficult to enjoy being near people in real life because of how I grew up. Working on it, perhaps someday I will have those things and be able to enjoy the tournament scene, but it's probably safer to say it's not for me. Just going to stick to playing competitively online.
Very good and informative. Nice of you to take the time to write all this out. You have a lot of liking and attachments for these characters and there is a lot to go off here. One thing I want to say is I agree with your motivation and drive for liking a character. With a game like this, characters come from many different beloved franchises, not to mention Sakuri and his team base each characters moves off the games they came from. ( almost like a reference which I find amazing in this game and never really appreciated it until late smash 4 really. ) so personality shines here. Mind if I make suggestions ?

:ultmetaknight::ultlucario::ultridley:: are great choices and seem to be your favorite which is really cool. I enjoy watching them as well. ( wish we see more at times )

:ultrob: : ROB is better than ever in this game and another character that has a lot of potential. He is combo food too as you stated but you seem to have a good understanding of what to do. If you can keep using this character. I used him a bit in Smash 4 to find a replacement for Ice Climbers for the time being and he was fun. This new game and engine really helped him out too.

:ultwolf: : IMO, there really is no such thing as a character carrying someone. There are characters how have better options but that's not really anyone fault. Wolf is a very good character, but don't shy away because of that. Have fun with any character you want. Practice and get what you deserve out of the character. ( I am a strong believer that this is the most balance and viable roster to date. I feel Little Mac is the only troublesome pick but that's because of his exploitable recovery, weight, and aerial game. He is good at almost everything else really, )

:ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: : This was a hard one because I feel like all 3 are good. I feel like you should use Young Link the most until you figure out who you want to main. granted he has the least amount of range with it come to the 3 Links in and combat and his kill power is not the best ( it's there though ), He is the best of the 3 Links IMO. He has the speed to not only go on the defense, but to also be up close and personal. This also works too if the opponent is rushing you down. I feel like he has better options to handle it. He also has the best projectiles amongst the three which is arrow. It literally has the recovery and angle to get guaranteed follow ups and combos it is also the best at annoying the opponent. This is important because links thrive off being annoying and forcing mistakes out the opponent. I'm no expert but try Young Link first : )

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus: : I again can understand this. Loving a character has a huge role in gaming especially in crossover games where multiple establish franchises come together. Perhaps use them for fun. That is great too. Dark Samus does seem really cool, her movement and animations almost seem like her own character and not an echo so they did a great job on her. But If you can main them, go for it. They also fun characters ( I say that alot too lol )

:ultjoker: : I don't have much to say about Joker. I don't even touch him really, I just like buying DLC any how. He does seem fun to use though and I love his mementos stage.

:ultdarkpit: : You're right about Dark Pit. I feel like he might be a great character for you. You still might need to invest a bit of time into him but your right. He doesn't have any jank to him and is rather honest. He has a lot of decent tools that range from good or decent but never bad or great which makes him seem like a solid mid tier and tbh that's not bad at all. They are actually picking up a bit of steam in Ultimate as they seem to be better characters in this game while still being " Honest ". nothertheless, definanlty keep him close or keep him in mind.

:ultinklingboy: : I know you don't want to annoy but no need to worry. Inklings are highly unique in this game and if can should still use them. Roller is an amazing tool and Inklings themselves have good normals. Don't shy away from them

:ultroy::ultlucina: : This was a hard one but you seem very deep into Roy so I think you should use him. Both are really good character with enough differences that make their playstyles different. Lucina is more balance and easier to use while Roy hit like a truck especially with the sweet spot hitboxes. Roy may be a bit harder to use but I think you love the character enough to stay motivated to put in the extra practice.

overall, If you can find enjoyment and can use all these character that go for it : )

Keeshu

Smash Ace
:ultmetaknight::ultlucario::ultridley:: are great choices and seem to be your favorite which is really cool. I enjoy watching them as well. ( wish we see more at times )

:ultwolf: : IMO, there really is no such thing as a character carrying someone. There are characters how have better options but that's not really anyone fault. Wolf is a very good character, but don't shy away because of that. Have fun with any character you want. Practice and get what you deserve out of the character. ( I am a strong believer that this is the most balance and viable roster to date. I feel Little Mac is the only troublesome pick but that's because of his exploitable recovery, weight, and aerial game. He is good at almost everything else really, )

overall, If you can find enjoyment and can use all these character that go for it : )
Yeah it is rather shocking that Meta Knight, Lucario, and Ridley are so rare.
:ultmetaknight: I suppose it's because people from Brawl are sick of seeing Meta Knight and he's no where near as strong as in Brawl (and thus less fun to play for most people), and in Smash 4 he had a very linear gameplay which can turn people off to the character, then in Ultimate people just carried over the Smash 4 mentality and there's other characters that people want to play. Even then, Meta Knight is a very tricky character to play, and while it's rewarding to play him when you get good with him, it's a pretty hard barrier when you first start playing him. Like I said, Meta Knight was my worst character in Smash 4 for a long time and I never would've gotten good with him if I didn't have some sort of driving motivation from history with him outside of smash to push me through that barrier. Meta Knight does feel awesome to play, but since I forced myself to play him so much, it makes it a bit harder to just want to play him which can be a problem. So right now I'm trying to let myself play characters a bit more naturally so I don't kill my motivation for a character, but that makes it hard to stick to anyone.

:ultlucario: Most people just glance at Lucario's Aura mechanic and that's all they see. Quite a few people can feel like the aura mechanic is like gamebling because you can just die before you get to even use your aura, and aura might make things a bit too easy for them. Lucario has some very tricky things about him, so that is a barrier, but it's made worse because you generally want to be more skillful if you're trying to get better, but if you want a character that rewards skill, they probably wouldn't want to play Lucario who they may view as a "luck" based character. Then Lucario is a bit on the slow side with not the longest range, so it can be a bit troublesome getting used to his neutral because it's a bit harder compared to a large chunk of the characters in the roster. So I can definitely understand why there aren't that many Lucarios. None of that is a problem for me though. Though Lucario did feel a bit janky when I first used him, but he feels so smooth now.

:ultridley:Ridley shocks me a bit more than the other two since he was requested so much. I'm sure his recovery is probably what turned most people off though. I kinda get the feeling that Ridley is too difficult to use for more casual players, but too simple and repetitive compared to other characters for more competitive players as well. Also despite me using Ridley a ton, he still feels really weird to use, and some people might just find him too weird to play with regularly. I sometimes worry about my Ridley because while I may dominate the opponent in the first few matches, I generally start losing later on because it's a bit harder to mix things up compared to other characters.

However, despite all that, he's very fun to play and it's very easy to transition from playing more casually, to wanting to play competitively with him which is very good because that doesn't happen with many characters for me right now. Making it feel more natural to want to get better instead of just forcing myself to. He's also one of the few characters that can uniquely play into the fear factor, just like why I love Samus/Dark Samus and their charge shots. I want to be able to trigger fear in the opponent just like I did with :4ganondorf:Smash 4 Ganondorf because casually I love seeing someone that was kicking my butt, suddenly start playing worse and not be able to beat me after I got in their head from using such a character. If I were to be super competitive and cared about winning a tournament or something, I feel like it'd be a tactic I'd use against certain players if I feel currently outmatched but they seem like they'd falter to something like that. I haven't watched much competitive Ridley, but I really love seeing the turnarounds in sets people do with Ridley once they land a single Down B causing the opponent to be shocked that it could even happen to them which makes them play worse.

Oh there definitely is a thing as a character carrying bad players. There's gameplay styles like that in many video games. Essentially mechanics that are just so good that even if you mess up a bit, you'll still do well. So because of that, it can be a bit harder to learn some lessons when the gameplay style is just so good that you can ignore your weaknesses as a player. Like a very very basic example would be like comparing Rocket Launcher vs a Sniper in many FPS games. With a rocket launcher a bad player can just vaguely aim at the ground near the enemy and it will severely injure the opponent, but it won't work against better players because they will know how to avoid the rocket, and directly hitting the rocket wouldn't be a thing because the travel time is too slow with rockets and the enemy will use weapons with better DPS or be able to shoot you before the rocket gets to hit them. Whereas a sniper maybe vastly more difficult to use because you have to be incredibly precise with your shot and if you miss you are very vulnerable. So using the sniper rifle will force you to get better at aiming, which will help you with learn other weapons in the game faster as well. However if you are someone good enough with aiming you will almost never miss a shot. Wolf kinda feels like I can just toss out moves and not worry about getting punished much.

Well, I mean I do play them from time to time, but that's the problem with trying to "main" a character. You can't main 20 characters and expect to be amazing with all of them, especially if you can only play like 10-20 matches a week (if even that much) like I do. Smash 4 it wasn't as much of a problem because I didn't have as many games on the Wii U and I wasn't as busy IRL. It's hard to get matches in, even harder to find time to go to the training mode. It's also hard to properly analyze replays because since I don't play everyday, I play vastly different everytime I get on smash. Sometimes I do incredibly well, other times I'm just autopiloting. So picking a main is a lot more important than it used to be so I can at least do well with somebody. Now I should probably stop thinking about playing Smash competitively and focus on other games and IRL stuff for a while and come back to Smash, but I can stubborn about certain things this is one of those things.

Some games I have been meaning to play for many months but haven't gotten around to due to lack of time if you're really curious.
Breath of the Wild - I wanted to 100% master mode.... That'll take a few hundred hours... May or may not skip the Korok Seeds though as the reward is pretty crappy. Hyped for Breath of the Wild 2 as well.
Super Mario Odyssey - Got about 200 moons left and pretty much already done with the harder moons.
Kirby Star Allies - Never got around to fighting the "secret" boss and doing that game's version of the Arena... Really wanna see what Meta Knight, Dark Meta Knight, Magolor, and Daroach play like in that game as well (watching videos isn't the same!)
Super Bomber Man R, Puyo Puyo Tetris - I want everything unlocked for whenever I have time to eventually drag friends to my house to play games locally instead of online.
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Rayman Legends (And Spyro Trilogy when that comes out) - Was always curious about the series but never had the chance
Dark Souls on Switch - In theory will be one of my favorite games. However one overtired night got me annoyed with Skeletons. I want to fight enemies, not push them off cliffs, and I don't have the DPS to kill them constantly even if I never mess up and I can't run past because they will just hit me in the back or have someone up front hit me. Skeletons ruined the mood.
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate - I've heard nothing but praise of this series so I wanted to try it out. However I've heard many times it's a grindy game so that could be quite a problem.
Pokemon Let's Go - Told someone I'd beat it before Gen 8 comes out. Besides, I wanted to go down memory lane because Pokemon Yellow was my first Pokemon game. Seems like this game is much faster than normal pokemon since you level up so fast. However, I haven't even gotten to the first gym yet.....
Splatoon 2 - I still need to do the stupid Octo expansion so I can be an octoling!

Then there's a few PC games as well.
Elder Scrolls Online - I have a bunch of people I know IRL that play ESO daily, I would like to get one character high enough level to just hangout with them randomly..... Meanwhile, my character still hasn't left the starting town.... I've heard that ESO is a bit grindy as well....
Battletech - I've waited years to play this game, and had to get a beefier computer to play this game (and future games). Then Smash Ultimate came out, and I just haven't had the time to touch it. Mechwarrior 2 was one of my childhood favorite games, and I had a blast playing Mechwarrior Online (especially before all the mechs got incredibly high damage like they do nowadays). Battletech is what the Mechwarrior series is based off of and the video game is made by the same person who made the tabletop game so I wanted to see what it was about.
Mechwarrior 5 (when it releases) - I loved Mechwarrior 2 to death. Surely a game made 24 years later will be vastly improved right?
VR Chat (Eventually other VR games when they get some good ones. Nostos has my interest at the moment) - I get immersed in games easily. Take something that immerses people that usually don't get immersed, and you bet that VR feels like the best thing ever for me and it's only going to get better overtime with stuff like the tesla suit and haptic gloves in development so you can actually feel and interact with things in the virtual world (though I have a bit of phantom touch so that's pretty good for now). It's hard going back to many games because of VR. Of course some game I'll still be fine without VR for like Smash..... Even if I have loaded up Smash a few times in Big Screen so I can just lay on my bed looking at a curved TV screen in the air and adjust the size and position whenever I want. Too bad I can't connect my Vive to the switch to access the Labo VR feature because I'm curious what that is like but not curious enough to buy Labo VR for a feature I'll never touch again due to not playing with human players in the VR function of smash.

Though mainly right now it's just me swapping between Smash and VR Chat, but it's hard to have the time for either of them as it is.

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
That's a good collection of games. Your in for a treat in 2019. Luigi Mansion 3, Pokémon Sword and Shield, Mario Maker 2, Canadice of Hyrule, Marvel Alliance 3, Astral Chains. ( and more ) God I need to save up to afford these upcoming games : )

Any finding a main is very hard and maining 20 different characters is hard. If you can, try to narrow down your options. I also want to share something I remember hearing about him that's not helpful but interesting. He has the drawbacks of being a heavy without actually being a heavy. He also has the weakness of a lightweight but not that fast compare to others. ( I mean he is up there though ) and I think it makes him unique while also underused. He is ment to be this calm and calculated beast. despite his raw power, He is actually super smart on so many crazy levels in the Metroid series. He is the best of both worlds so his gameplay is about patients and playing the neutral smartly. I think that is amazing attention to detail but makes him a glass cannon almost to use. Just thought I share this.

Back to Smash I can agree with Meta Knight and Lucario. They are just soo cool but not for everyone.

Top Bottom