• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Did You find a Main in Melee?

Who was your first main?

• Fox

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Falco

Votes: 28 18.8%
  • Marth

Votes: 32 21.5%
  • Sheik

Votes: 13 8.7%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Peach

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Ice Climbers

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Captain Falcon

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Luigi

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Doc

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 11 7.4%

• Total voters

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
If you're not already, maybe you could try practicing more seriously with your character. For example, if you main Sheik (whom I'd recommend due to her easy learning curve), you won't just be able to perfectly reaction tech chase instantly, and will have to grind it until you can do it consistently.

The reason I say this is because when I'm just playing for fun, I go plenty of different characters as well, but usually stick to Marth during a practice session. I'm pretty sure the grinding helps because it gives you more to focus on for longer periods of time.

I'm not saying you have to give up playing multiple characters in friendlies, but if you have one character (again, I'd recommend Sheik) that's your best, then that might help you find a main.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Link. Not in this list. Played him since the day Melee came out... but I also played Young Link and Marth.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
In Brawl Mario just clicked with me the most, I cant really remember why since I when I played Brawl I was a lot younger. So when I transitioned to PM Mario still clicked and he was even better. And in Melee after trying both of them out I vastly preferred Doc. Now I kinda just dual-main them since they're easy to dual main (same physics, similar combos/throw setups/gimps/etc)
But Jigglypuff is really starting to click with me in both Melee and 4 (not that I play 4 competetively). The game just makes more sense to me through her moveset I guess, I'm able to find answers in the neutral game much more easier with her than any other character. It works out great for me in Melee but she's kinda trash in 4.

Last edited:

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time
I chose Falco because I found his play style suited my personality really well and I also had a ton of fun with him. I've also played him since I started playing Melee, and Smash in General.

Marzipan

Smash Rookie
I played a lot of Mario back when I was a kid. Mario pretty much makes up my 3-10 year old days, so maining him was a no brainer back then. It was only up until recently that I found that Doc's edge guard options better suited my play style, so I made the switch before I started playing competitively.

(Also gotta love that iconic:GCU::GCB:!)

Last edited:

copke

I Just Got This Controller
NNID
copke46
3DS FC
1049-0983-0823
Warning, cliches are bound to happen.
When you play Melee it's not just like "I'm going to learn this character no matter how hard it takes". Sure, that can be at a later date, but when you first start competitively you have to look around a majority. When you find the one character, you won't be able to put them down. You start to forge an emotional bond to said character and don't feel like giving them up. Personally, I love Falcon. I started with Falcon, stayed Falcon for a bit, and still am a Falcon main (along with Falco and sometimes Marth). The limit you have on your character will start to fade and you'll start doing things you never thought were possible for someone at your level. It's truly an amazing feeling when you find that character and begin to get really good with them.

copke

I Just Got This Controller
NNID
copke46
3DS FC
1049-0983-0823
I chose Falco because I found his play style suited my personality really well and I also had a ton of fun with him. I've also played him since I started playing Melee, and Smash in General.
I forgot to add something but reading FuRy's post pretty much summed what i was going to say up. Find someone who suits your personality. In Smash I'm a complete **** when it comes to playing because I search for exploits. My smash personality is stubborn and annoying, so I constantly am in your face and I don't play the typical Marth spacing game.

Neville

ayyyy lmaooo
I started with Link, since it was my favorite Nintendo series. Quickly realized it wasn't for me, and bounced around characters. Played the entire cast searching, and played Falcon a little more seriously for a bit, then Marth, and settled on Falco/Fox because I like to press a lot of buttons.

Parttimenoob

Smash Rookie
Originally played Game-and-Watch as a casual. When i first came into competetive, i used Marth mostly. But i never really considered him a true main, because i considered him my learning character. He was the character that i wanted to learn ATs and spacing with, and then decide on a main. I tried out all characters, and found myself sticking to Marth or Game-and-Watch mostly. When i played more, i found GW more interesting, underdeveloped and fun to play as, so i stuck to him.

Top Bottom