• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you choose your main?

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
When I first started playing, I just picked Falcon since everyone said he was the most fun. I never looked back since I'm a firm believer in focusing on just one character at a time for maximum improvement (at least as a newer player). However, recently I've been playing the other characters and I realize I like almost all of them. Basically, I'm not sure about my main and I'm trying to draw any wisdom possible from anyone else's experiences in finding their "true" main (the one you stuck with). Thanks in advance!

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
First I was a Ganondorf main because he is badass af.

Then I decided to pick up Sheik after watching M2K playing him.

Then Falco just because of the dair (at the time I was thinking it was the coolest thing to do ever).

Then I decided to try Fox, and now I'm maining him.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
What I did when I was rechoosing my main (Falco started to get a bit stale) was I played everyone in the game for a while and chose who I thought was the most fun.

Roy was the most fun for me because I mained him for numerous years before going competitive and he has fire, so then to actually stand a chance competitively, I chose who was the most fun out of the high-tiers and picked up Falcon. Roy is still my secondary and I break him out in friendlies, but I mainly focus on Falcon now.

Last edited:

AUS

Smash Cadet
Loved Ocarina of Time so played Zelda and then learned she was ****, learned you could Down-b to become Sheik and then fell in love with Sheik so much and began to main her. Played some Spacies on the side too because against some match-ups Sheik wasn't cutting it.

AllysonWonderland

Smash Rookie
It might help to have somebody you usually play with to help you pick a main. Prior to picking up Melee, my boyfriend and I played a lot of PM and switched characters all the time. When I started playing Melee, he suggested Peach because he knew I was more comfortable with floaties, and he was right because I mained her up until recently.

Then I decided that I should probably pick up an upper-tier character, so boyfriend suggested Sheik. I am not by any means a very skilled player, but it was easy for me to figure out which moves were combo moves and which were finishing moves, and I put the pieces together. (But Jesus her short hop is so hard to work with when I try to do aerials toward the ground.)

I would say, then, to keep an open mind to others' suggestions and pick up characters that are the most transparent to you :].

Dexmaster

Smash Cadet
n00b here. No real skill yet and haven't competed in tournaments. Starting out, I wanted to play Mewtwo (didn't we all?). In my quest to unlock everyone, I used Marth primarily to clear events. That was when I decided I liked him, and I will probably continue to use him as a secondary. Then I played Luigi and fell in love with his fair. That was all I needed to get myself hooked. I also picked up Ganondorf, because falcon felt a little too fast for me, and Ganondorf seemed fantastic. Again, another secondary. Then recently I tried Fox for the first time. I just thought he'd be alright, and that I would have to really learn him to understand his true value. I tried him out, and he just felt like a good character, one that I immediately knew I wanted to devote time to learning.

Magical Samurai

Smash Cadet
Started with Marth because I liked to watch his movement and thought he would be a good character to introduce me to the game (spacing, grab follow ups, movement). I wound up gravitating towards Sheik's gameplan the more I learned about the game, it's just a better fit for me (combo-capabilities, off-stage options).

Last edited:

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
I played Smash64 for the longest time, I actually skipped melee (I didn't have a GC) and went directly to Brawl. I hated Brawl so I transitioned into Smash64 again. So I basically tried to play Pikachu, which didn't turn out well at all. I picked up Ice climbers and Luigi when i learnt how to wavedash (As I could have an edge in movement). I tried picking up spacies, but they required a lot of work and I dont own a set-up to practice on.That meant I missed tech and died when I didnt play for some days. So basically I wanted to pick a Top-tier character that didn't require any sick practice . I was left with Marth, Peach and Jigglypuff , and I went with Marth. I still have IC's as a dual-main and sometimes play Spacies for fun.

Marth Regalia

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-4228-5850
I first started with Shiek. I wasn't good at that point, so I switched from her to Fox. Obviously, Fox takes a ton of skill to play so I started playing Marth and found him to best suit my playstyle.
I have a pocket Shiek and Fox now that I'm better, but I second Falco to clean up matchups that Marth doesn't like.

Hornager

Smash Rookie
I just recently started to play smash. I went to a tourney and there were Melee and PM singles. Having played smash 4, mainly as shulk and ZSS, i decided to research characters in Melee and PM. Marth seemed to be the best for a newbie in thier first tourney. Of course I got bodied, but had a great time. By the end of the day, i played Marth, Shiek,Falco,Fox in Melee and PM. From then, I started to play Marth. Also, seeing the wavedashing mechanics of some of the players and how fluid they made Marth compared to me gave me the motivation.

ElCancell

Smash Rookie
Sheik is a ninja, I love ninjas. So I picked sheik, I was lucky that I meshed well with her play style.

lead_magnet

Smash Rookie
I started playing when I was small so for a while I didn't really have a main just sorta played who ever. At the moment I really like playing as Falco (DAT C-STICK GAME IS STRONG) still sorta in a limbo between him and fox. It's also sorta fun to mess around as Captain Falcon because well, he's fun. :)

Last edited:

Gillmatic

Multifaceted Lacerator
Initially, before I knew anything about the intricacies of the game, I played Roy because he was cool. And my super sick spot dodge/fsmash mind games were too much for my neighbors to keep up with lol. When I saw the documentary, I was inspired by KDJ's Sheik and a little later the fact that Sheik was the only character who I could look good playing (and a little Falcon/Falco on the side because they seemed cool too).

A little while after that I realized that my Sheik only looked good because of how much more complex the other characters were, and how boring it seemed playing Sheik now that I understood so much more about the game. After months of practice, I settled (sort of) on Fox because he is so comfortable to me. However, I thoroughly enjoy playing lots of other characters, particularly Luigi, Falcon, G&W, Marth, Falco, and even Sheik (as well as all the others in my sig to a lesser degree). Honestly, they're too much fun to let go of. I could see myself maybe abandoning Sheik (because she's kinda boring) and Falco (because he just doesn't feel as right to me as the others), but I'm having a hard time focusing solely on Fox in preparation for my first tournament this weekend.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Saw shine blind when it first came out. Didn't know the tiers at the time. I just wanted to do that to my friends. Picked up Jiggs as a 2nd when I stopped playing for a while where I was trying to get Fox tech skill back.

But now I wanna play Falcon Luigi and/or Ganon so I'll slowly transition to them.

Last edited:

Nephilim III

Smash Rookie
NNID
SketchyLZ
When I first got the gam in 2006, I almost exclusively played Roy and Pichu. I started getting into the competitive scene around the end of 2013, and by then my most favorite game of all time was Star Fox 64, so naturally I picked Fox and practiced the crap out of him. Once I learned that everyone and their brother plays as Fox, I transitioned over to Ganondorf and started wrecking everybody. One day when I was screwing around with characters, I found that good ole Cap'n Falcon played similarly to Ganon, so I mained him for a bit. Fast forward to about November of 2014, when I discovered who aMSa was. I picked up Yoshi immediately and have't regretted it. I still play Falcon when I want to have some fun though. What saddens me the greatest however, is that my Fox is still better than my Falcon or Yoshi.

Serperior

Wobbler
Ice Climbers, after watching wobbles highlight videos I like the idea of getting something perfect for a reward, that being wobbling and although I still haven't learned it I'm trying every time I get the chance ( this wasn't to long ago, I played Falcon before)

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
I picked up Peach instantly on Melee because she's my favorite Nintendo character, and she's bootiful.

I switched to maining Falco because his combos are balls to the walls, I still have peach in my back pocket just in-case and I still do player her quite often. On the sidelines is Doc... Sorry Doc.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
I didn't. He chose me (っ˘ڡ˘ς).
But really, I started with Mario because when I bought 64, I was actually looking for Mario Party but saw a game with a bunch of Nintendo characters from different series on it. I started with Mario and Pikachu, and switched to Fox many, many years later in Melee because of dat upsmash.

Dr. Dubs

Smash Rookie
You just gotta let it come to you. I hated icies at first, like really hated. But I eventually learned that I loved them after watching icie players. Pay attention to things other than just move sets. For example: One of the main reasons I love icies is because of how fluid their motion is, and how bait and punish their play style is. When you find your character, it will click.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I used to main Luigi, but I eventually switched to Captain Falcon. I ended up choosing Falcon because he's fast and he hits hard.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I've "mained" about half the cast over the course of a few years, but I always found myself going back to Peach, Falco and Young Link. I decided to stick to Young LInk because I enjoy the challenge and simply have more fun playing as him than as anybody else.

spy_

Smash Rookie
I main Falcon because he has big balls and a knee of justice. Not sure why I picked him up initially-- probably because of the fun "manly" factor; I experimented with a large portion of the cast and kinda dropped Falcon for a bit.

For a scrub, i play an okay doc, G&W, ness, marth, ganon, jiggles. I play those every once in a while, but Doc has definitely turned into my best secondary. I don't like the mindset of playing the best characters simply because they're the best. I think Marth utilt combos are silly, falco dairs are dumb, and fox just never appealed to me. I've tried playing a bit more Sheik, but she just feels so disjointed compared to Falcon (I also suck at that matchup).

I liked the idea of Doc because he has a good projectile, a good wavedash, and very simple/effective edgeguards (bair wall, cape, fair). He had some of the characteristics of a high tier character, with some obvious flaws (similar to Falcon). Basically they're fun and I like beating higher tier players to make them feel silly about their character choices :)

anikom15

Smash Apprentice
In order of chronology:

Fox - I liked him because he was fast and had lasers, plus the reflector was cool.

Ganondorf - I still use him in FFAs and doubles. I like that every move is strong and he can be fast too.

Falcon - I chose him when I came back to the game and started playing competitively. I don't really like him anymore.

Marth - I mained him for like five hours, learned Melee's 'fundamentals', and got bored. Everyone should have a pocket Marth IMO.

Doctor Mario - Surprisingly, everyone I've played does not have much experience against him. His defensive style seems to fit mine really well.

Luigi - Current pocket main that I'll probably migrate to in the future. He's super chill but very different from the other characters.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Bowser is badass, I like badass things.
Bowser was a character I was always pretty bad at. Every time I played him I would get bodied, until I started playing him in PM and that carried over to Melee a bit, and I understood his fundamentals more. I would play Bowser just for fun while I mained Jigglypuff, until I realized that I was having way more fun with Bowser, so I decided to make the switch and main Bowser full time. The decision wasn't final until I played him at a tournament and everyone was soooo hype when I had a close game with a good Fox main. Its hella fun when the entire crowd is cheering you on.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
I think what happened was I couldn't beat event match 50 for the life of me, until I saw an awesome youtube vid of someone doing it with Samus. Then I realized how much fun Samus was and she became my best character. No matter how much I practice with other characters, Samus always ends up being my best.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
Metroid games have always been my favorite games, so I just picked Samus and stuck beside her since the N64, lol

Top Bottom