• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did Sakurai know about the Duck Hunt Dog = Banjo meme?

cybersai

Smash Ace
Remember for years people used to taunt/troll with "Duck Hunt Dog is Banjo Kazooie" because they're an animal and bird combo? Saying things like, "Oh Banjo is already in the game!" While Duck Hunt Dog's laughter is from the game of course and what he is most known for, the whole Banjo troll was something that originated in online forums over the years. Does Sakurai know more about the fandom than he lets on?

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Of course he should know. He has asked us to stop begging for characters, and he would want to look around for his fanbase enjoying his games and would want data to help patches. He would have to come across the memes related to Smash.

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
Despite the fact that it seems like Sakurai never takes time off from work, I bet he browses forums occasionally.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Banjo and Kazooie used the base model of Duck Hunt, and then altered it.
Just as King K Rool probably did for King Dedede.

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
i think you can figure it out just by comparing the 2, a brown, furry animal carrying around a bird on it's back helping it in action

Last edited:

DownBCounter

Smash Rookie
He always claims to not pay attention to this type of thing. I bet he would claim that he didn't know about any memes if asked, and that he just thought Banjo & Kazooie = Duck Hunt was a logical comparison and he thought of it on his own.

ze9

Smash Ace
Of course he knows, he's the one who made Duck Hunt into a B-K lookalike in the first place. He obviously had B-K in mind when designing Duck Hunt. It's Banjo that inspired Duck Hunt, not the other way around.

Plus, that was the best choice to pull off the joke anyways.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Literally this. I hate the “SAKURAI KNEW THAT DUCK HUNT WUZ LEIK BANJO.” Hate when people on this website assume ****.
I actually wonder how much of Smash's Duck Hunt was inspired by Banjo & Kazooie. It definitely looks inspired, though I wonder how much of it is connecting dots retroactively. Would be interesting if in a month or few months, Sakurai has a column where he talks about the duo.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Despite the fact that it seems like Sakurai never takes time off from work, I bet he browses forums occasionally.
Do you think Sakurai has an account here? Is anyone here Masahiro Sakurai? Will the real Sakurai please stand up?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Sakurai doesn’t work as closely on the cinematic as people think. He said in a recent interview the ones for Smash 4 and Ultimate were outsourced and had their own director overseeing them (obviously everything gets his approval though).

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Its not like its difficult to see the similarities between Duck Hunt and Banjo Kazooie. I didn't think the trailer was a reference to a meme or anything. Its just that they're both duos with birds on their backs.

Top Bottom