• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can people hate ROB?

Galvanic

Smash Journeyman

I do not get why people keep flaming this guy. It's not like we shouldn't have expected an, um, unexpected character (Ness from SSB64 + Game/Watch from SSBM, anyone?). What's with the bad rap?

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I don't hate him, he was just a huge mistake. And his fans are a bit to emotional, and the reasons they come up with for him being in the game, are weak IMO.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
6. Stating Ness was deconfirmed, when he really wasn't.
You do realize I trolled the heck out of people with that, don't you?

Well, I guess so since you can't tell the difference between trolling and a real opinion.

If you want my real opinion, check out the thread I made a while back about this subject.
I don't hate him, he was just a huge mistake. And his fans are a bit to emotional, and the reasons they come up with for him being in the game, are weak IMO.
Like what?

So you're saying that the fact that ROB saved the gaming industry isn't a good reason for him to be in?

saratos

Smash Apprentice
Wow, Luke, where did you get the idea that he saved the industry?

Anywho, the reason people are upset is that time was put into making a character with no basis for moves instead of, for instance, de-clonifying WWlink or Ganny. And, yes, you are being a bit emotional when you resort to insults and skirt around the actual topic.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Anywho, the reason people are upset is that time was put into making a character with no basis for moves instead of, for instance, de-clonifying WWlink or Ganny. And, yes, you are being a bit emotional when you resort to insults and skirt around the actual topic.
He did, in America...Which actually helped it along overall

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
...Are you ****ing serious? Seriously? Do I HAVE to tell you a commonknown fact?

...I've lost hope.

Ganondorf and Toon Link are not clones.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman

Since people are incapable of doing research it seems, I've done it for them. Taken from GameSpy, which listed ROB as the #5 smartest move in video games.

"It was 1984, the year after the entire American video-game market had crashed. Consumers, burned way too many times on a glut of truly horrendous software created for the Atari 2600 in previous years, decided to react by not buying any more games. Many third-party companies went out of business, others lost millions of dollars, and executives who had invested their careers in the meteoric rise of video-game culture lost their shirts, and often their jobs. The conventional wisdom was that video games were a fad whose bubble had finally burst. Nobody was going to waste valuable store space on a product that would never sell. "Consumers have moved on" everybody said, "Video games are dead." It didn't matter how good the NES was, it would never take off.

That was the inspiration for the creation of one of the most reviled and vastly unappreciated gaming peripherals ever created. R.O.B., or Robotic Operating Buddy. R.O.B. was gray, one foot tall, spun on a little axis, and didn't do much else. He was ostensibly designed to work with two truly awful games: Gyromite and Stack-Up. That, however, wasn't R.O.B.'s true purpose. R.O.B. (along with a light gun that also came packaged with the system) was a product designed for one thing and one thing only -- to allow Nintendo's salespeople to approach big retailers like Toys R Us and say "Oh, no this isn't a video game. It's a toy." They even built a whole marketing campaign around it that drastically de-emphasized the role of the TV in the product and played up the robot and light gun."

RedRingo

Smash Rookie
People pretty much only hate him because the characters they wanted didn't get in. If say, K.Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Geno, etc. got in, people wouldn't complain so much about ROB.

Locke66

Smash Cadet
That is more true of toon link I say...ROB is a completely different character, while toon link is really just a pallate swap. all the other clones have at least some different attack animations, while toon link is a mini carbon copy. ROB looks interesting and cool at least.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Why do people hate ROB?
Simple answer - Theyre under the dillusion that ROb took someone's spot, which in reality, was not the case. He was probably one of the first new characters thought up.

Come on people, he was in Mario Kart DS. he should have been totally expected.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I won't debate ROB's importance because that would be stupid. It's been covered pretty well already.

But, as for the topic itself ("How could anyone hate ROB?"), the answers is relatively simple: Anyone can hate anything for any reason.

"I don't like his design."
"There's nothing special about him; he's boring."
"Grey things bother me."
"My mother was killed by a robot and ROB just reminds me of my loss."

There are an infinite number of reasons to dislike a character. ROB's "act of heroism" doesn't automatically make him a character other people should want to play as. Among all the bitterness over other characters not getting in, some people just flat-out don't like ROB. It's no different from any other character.

That said, yeah, there are obviously some people who are just bent out of shape because their Ridley/Krystal/Geno/whoever didn't get in. But ROB did.

WarMachine

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't be much of a WTF character if everyone wanted him to be in now, would it?

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
So, you're telling me R.O.B. saved the video game... Gamedom, by bringing about two games. One I've never even heard of and one which I played without R.O.B. in the first place, which was considerably harder juggling two different controllers.

I've my doubts, my unfounded doubts, my sourceless doubts, which are, to put it quite simply, this.

R.O.B. was a gimmick, and that was it. The fact that I've played games for 15 years and never even heard of R.O.B. says two things. I don't get out much and I'm extremely uninformed.

I doubt a one foot toy saved anything.

But that's just my opinion. I'd have preferred Ridley or K. Rool over R.O.B.

But it's a month away, so willing to hold any vehemence in until I've played him myself.

EDIT! Gannondorf4ever says:

Simple answer - Theyre under the dillusion that ROb took someone's spot, which in reality, was not the case. He was probably one of the first new characters thought up.

Come on people, he was in Mario Kart DS. he should have been totally expected[/B

My response to bolded part.

Come on, people. K. Rool was in #ofGamesThatIDon'tWanttoResearch! He should have totally been expected!

Come on, people. Geno was in #ofGamesThatIDon'tWanttoResearch!ONE He should have totally been expected!

Come on, people. Ridley was in #ofGamesThatIDon'tWanttoResearch! He should have totally been expected!

Come on, people. Krystal was in #ofGamesThatIDon'tWanttoResearch! She should have totally been expected!

Come on, people. Santa Claus is joyous fat man who I'm sure has appeared in ONE Nintendo game once in his lengthy lifespan! He should have totally been expected!

If the 'Gannondorf's Bolded part' was sarcasm, I went on a vehement tangent for no reason! OH well. Looks like my 'wait a month' is for naught.

Don't provide crackpot theories as to why R.O.B. was in, k?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So, you're telling me R.O.B. saved the video game... Gamedom, by bringing about two games. One I've never even heard of and one which I played without R.O.B. in the first place, which was considerably harder juggling two different controllers.

I've my doubts, my unfounded doubts, my sourceless doubts, which are, to put it quite simply, this.

R.O.B. was a gimmick, and that was it. The fact that I've played games for 15 years and never even heard of R.O.B. says two things. I don't get out much and I'm extremely uninformed.

I doubt a one foot toy saved anything.

But that's just my opinion. I'd have preferred Ridley or K. Rool over R.O.B.

But it's a month away, so willing to hold any vehemence in until I've played him myself.

Well see, whether or not his games were FANTASTIC by today's standards, it helped people figure out video games did not suck (Which, in the early 1980s, they kind of did. ROB's games were not terrible by 1980's standards, so people probably wondered "Hey, if Nintendo can make things like THIS, what else is there?

Nintendo banked off of this statement most likely, and who was born? The 4 foot tall mushroom eating princess saving red-booted dinosaur riding flying spaceman firefighter *whew* plumber we know as Mario!

And Nintendo's fame spread like wildfire. Yay for ROB.

And I would have loved K. Rool too, but hey, we needed a wtf character.

Chipperbane, I dont think you understand how Sakurai works. He didnt WANT to give us every character we expected. A trend since Smash 64, was to input at least ONE character the fans would never expect. All of the characters you mentioned were expected much.

Of course, ROB being in Mario Kart DS was not to say "Oh, hes been in a game, he's expected" It was to say that they can put something that was much like a toy/gamesystem that had never BEFORE been in an actual game IN a game that would surprise the world.

Nobody REALLY expected him to be in Smash, (except Wiseguy, props to you) but his appearance in MKDS showed that Nintendo was going to start using him in wtf moments.

Thus, nobody should really be surprised he was in Smash. And he did not take anybody's spot. People, shake off that illusion. The people in the game now, were the ones planned to be in the game, except for the 6 clones that were cut during production (Dixie, Plusle and Minun, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo(Similar to Lucario, people would complain one of them was a clone) Roy, and one more.

None of them (save mewtwo) were greatly expected, so he took noone's spot. Truthfully.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
Hold fast! I claim my ignorance when I say this, but R.O.B. came before Mario? I am so under informed! *Goes to find his Gyromite game and Mario to compare dates...*

Update! The only thing I learned was not to immerse Gyromite in water.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
It's not the fact that ROB was not important to the industry nor not original, but in my eyes, ROB is not even a real character. It's not that there was no actual rule against Nintendo products being in there, but that thing barely had a shot at all. Not to mention that it was a generic enemy at SSE. That was fine what they did, but popping out playable like that was just plain wrong. And I now I have to be around this abomination for the rest of my Brawl time. :(

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Hold fast! I claim my ignorance when I say this, but R.O.B. came before Mario? I am so under informed! *Goes to find his Gyromite game and Mario to compare dates...*

Update! The only thing I learned was not to immerse Gyromite in water.
Your sarcasm does not amuse, and I dont see what purpose it's serving.

Chipperbane

Smash Rookie
Super Mario Bros. is the best selling video game of all time,[1] and was largely responsible for the initial success of the Nintendo Entertainment System, as well as ending the two year slump of video game sales in the United States after the video game crash of 1983. It has inspired countless imitators, two direct sequels, and many spinoffs, as well as an entire video game series, and was one of Shigeru Miyamoto's most influential early successes. The game starred the Italian plumber Mario and his brother Luigi. Mario went on to become Nintendo's most well known mascot. The theme music, by Koji Kondo, is recognized worldwide, even by those who have not played the game, and has been considered a representation for video game music in general
Additionally, the toy retailers which controlled consumers’ access to games had concluded that video games were a fad, the fad was over, and that the shelf space should be reassigned to different products. This led to many retailers refusing to have anything to do with video games for several years. This was the most formidable barrier that Nintendo ran up against when trying to market the US-branded Famicom in the US. This opposition to video games by retailers was directly responsible for causing Nintendo to make such changes as calling the system an “Entertainment System” rather than “console,” using terms like “control deck” and “Game Pak,” as well as including a toy robot called ROB to convince toy retailers to allow it in their stores.

Seems they did a lot including including R.O.B. in the mix to get gaming off the ground. IF anything, I'd agree with this statement and point out that Mario probably saved the gaming industry ten times over poor ROB.

Lucario95

Smash Rookie
you also have to think what are his moves going to be? and more importantly what would his fs be

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
you also have to think what are his moves going to be? and more importantly what would his fs be
Well, we actually know all of that. Many people on the boards own the game now.

B is a laser.
B> is a whirling arm..tackle.. thing, dunno what to call it, he moves fforward and spins his arms.

Bv - He spins a gyromite and then can throw it, it causes 19% fully charged. Not bad.

B^ - is a rocket boost. It is an extremely high third jump that can be switched on and off mid flight.

His FS is short cirtcuit. A laser-ish beam starts shooting out of his eyes at low range, and can cause up to 148% damage. :psycho:

Also, sometyimes the laser stops, and a single beam shoots out that causes alot of knockback.

Thats what his moves are, to the person I quoted. He seemed not to know

Phazonridley480

Smash Cadet
It's not the fact that ROB was not important to the industry nor not original, but in my eyes, ROB is not even a real character. It's not that there was no actual rule against Nintendo products being in there, but that thing barely had a shot at all. Not to mention that it was a generic enemy at SSE. That was fine what they did, but popping out playable like that was just plain wrong. And I now I have to be around this abomination for the rest of my Brawl time. :(
R.O.B is the "Spoiler Warning" Do not look below if you do not want to be spoiled of the sse!!!!!!

Is the ancient Minister.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B is the "Spoiler Warning" Do not look below if you do not want to be spoiled of the sse!!!!!!

Is the ancient Minister.
Use spoiler tags in your replies that contain spoilers as I have done above. There are plenty of people who probably DON'T want to know that and telling them not to look 3 lines before what you say isn't enough. I see that you're newer, so no hard feelings but please edit your post with spoiler tags (They are in the toolbar)

Mario161

Smash Cadet
I think people hate him because their favourite charecter didnt get in but some "random robot" supposedly "took their spot".

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'm just naturally biased against robots.
The more I watch ROB in action, though, the more intrigued I am...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People hate ROB because they were dropped on their heads as babies...ONLY explanation

Or if their mother was killed by a robot and ROB reminds them of that

ledhead

Smash Apprentice
I originally was upset over ROB getting in, not because he's horrible or anything, but because I feel other characters were deserving of spots, and then they added ROB, a generic SSE enemy, and WW Link, a clone, to the roster. So the possible variety of characters was cut. I'm not mad anymore. I'm even intrigued at this point.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I originally was upset over ROB getting in, not because he's horrible or anything, but because I feel other characters were deserving of spots, and then they added ROB, a generic SSE enemy, and WW Link, a clone, to the roster. So the possible variety of characters was cut. I'm not mad anymore. I'm even intrigued at this point.

People look at it from an odd perspective...

He didn't originate as a generic enemy in anything...

He originated from Stack-Up and Gyromite as a creation of Prof. Hector & Vector...

I'm sure he was planned to be in from the start and that's WHY they showed us the R.O.B. Squad

ledhead

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty much just the extreme fanboys/fangirls that are angry. It's unreasonable to assume that Sakurai would put characters in on the sole premise that we, the ppl of SWF, wanted them.

randypanda

Smash Cadet
well... when i first saw ROB, i was pretty peed off. I thought it was just plain dumb. But, looking at some videos, I defenitely want to try him out. He looks cool :D

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Reasons why people tend to be stupid?

1. War
2. Unnecessary phobia
3. Religion
4. Naruto
5. Hating ROB.
LOL, Naruto. :p

But, here's what I have to say to all the R.O.B. haters out there:

You know what? Screw you, R.O.B. is a cool character. I mean, he's a FREAKING ROBOT THAT SHOWS LASERS AND STUFF! What's not to like about THAT?!

Besides, R.O.B. is what it took to get Nintendo and video games themselves back into the biz during the video game crash of 1983, so saying that R.O.B. is a waste of a character slot is an insult to Nintendo, as well as the entire video game industry themselves!

Top Bottom