• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I improve my Mario?

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet

I am an aspiring Mario main. I started playing the character in Project M around 2014, and then transferred over to Melee. I'd like to go competitive with him however I do not feel ready yet. When my brother and I play (he mains Fox) I end up losing most of the time (I'll try to record a set of us playing eventually)...I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I feel like I have a good grasp on Mario but I still always end up losing even to casual players sometime...

LetsDuet

Smash Rookie
Your movement is pretty good. I'd suggest working on lengthening your punishes, because as a midtier, the struggle is trying to find a good approach and then getting in. So in the Mario-Fox matchup specifically, find habits that your brother commonly does and then exploit them.

General Mario improvement tips:
Movement
Short-hop Up-Air strings (really important)
SHBAWD (a post was recently put up on how to do it)
Up-B Wall Jump
Fast-falling your short hop fairs a little bit better, and then following up with a grab (most of the time if you hit them, you're guaranteed a grab, but if they shield, it's unsafe)
Full hop dair into an aerial, preferrably up-air, second option is bair
Utilizing Mario's Dair (Check out A Rookie's video about this. Extremely helpful!)

Mario vs Fox matchup tips:
Mario has a chaingrab on spacies. From 0%, he can up throw twice, assuming that the second time, there is absolutely no DI. Follow up with an Up-Smash on the second throw, potentially jab reset, and then find another follow up. It's different depending on DI.
Mario has a guaranteed chaingrab from 38%ish to 68%. After you upthrow the fox and he exceeds 68%, a short hop up air fast falled into a forward smash should do the trick if executed properly.

Hope this helped, man. It's hard to critique a fellow main after only watching 5 minutes of gameplay. But I hope this helped both you and others!

Last edited:

Kyler

Smash Cadet
I personally dont play mario but ive watched alot of koopa,rookie, and scorp so Ive naturally noticed trends if youre still looking for advice,mario like a lot of other characters is based on movement more then others so if I were to solo practice mario I would be spending alot of time on perfecting his wavedash, being able to control his wavedashes and know when to use its different lengths for perfect spacing and general movement like wavelanding and tricky platform movement. but after all im not a mario main and it looks like the guy above me went really in depth so hopefully I didnt just repeat anything he said
also I would practice the wall jump out of up B to the point where I could consistently do it cause it would suck to flubb it in tourney and lose cause of it

Last edited:

cooran

Smash Rookie
Honestly when i stopped using nair so much and instead approaching with grabs up airs or forward tilt I improved a **** ton so that is something that really helped me.

Top Bottom