• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I handled Yoshi?

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Of course. It's me again. Cue the mockery via past shame.

Via my rants of For Glory, another character I have trouble with is vs. Yoshi.

Yoshi is by far akin to how Samus is to Leffen; even then I too also have trouble vs. Samus (not many Zero Suits I've seen).

Yoshi has his very crazy air speed (HIGHEST IN THE GAME) which makes him a lightning-speed target to even try to swat out of the air, and his Egg Roll + Egg Throw often forces me to be defensive.
The only lucky thing I have to rely on is him wasting his double jump as well as him lacking guaranteed kill setups.

Via me normally using Falco, Fox, both Pits, Meta Knight and Wario, how can I handle this crazy dino? Or should I switch? : P

Last edited:

TheHappyDino7

Smash Rookie
As a Yoshi main myself, the way I usually play Yoshi is full on aggressive. Of course, things like patient players are a little weakness but that's really for any character. I highly suggest not using campy characters, as Yoshi can easily approach via jumps and using N-Air, which is a decently quick attack. Yoshi's N-Air is fairly decent in start up, so doing things like Mario's U-Tilt string won't work, Yoshi could also escape via Flutter Jumping. My best option for beating Yoshi players is too just outrange him, but not playing Campy. The only notable moves on Yoshi that i would consider "long" are his F-Air and U-Special, all other moves don't have the greatest range. S-Special is something i never use, it's very unsafe and can be easily punished, so if a Yoshi does so, punish accordingly. I do agree, wasting Yoshi's Flutter Jump is a good strategy, gimping away from the ledge could mean a easy stock, however Yoshi using U-Special could potentially hit you, causing a free recovery. Yoshi's will also almost always recover high, the Flutter Jump's height is to hard to punish, mixed with the armor. So, basically just outrange and try to waste their Flutter Jump
Hope this helps

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
As a Yoshi main myself, the way I usually play Yoshi is full on aggressive. Of course, things like patient players are a little weakness but that's really for any character. I highly suggest not using campy characters, as Yoshi can easily approach via jumps and using N-Air, which is a decently quick attack. Yoshi's N-Air is fairly decent in start up, so doing things like Mario's U-Tilt string won't work, Yoshi could also escape via Flutter Jumping. My best option for beating Yoshi players is too just outrange him, but not playing Campy. The only notable moves on Yoshi that i would consider "long" are his F-Air and U-Special, all other moves don't have the greatest range. S-Special is something i never use, it's very unsafe and can be easily punished, so if a Yoshi does so, punish accordingly. I do agree, wasting Yoshi's Flutter Jump is a good strategy, gimping away from the ledge could mean a easy stock, however Yoshi using U-Special could potentially hit you, causing a free recovery. Yoshi's will also almost always recover high, the Flutter Jump's height is to hard to punish, mixed with the armor. So, basically just outrange and try to waste their Flutter Jump
Hope this helps
I guess that's true. Then again, I haven't had much practice to try and 'box' with Yoshi's moves in mid-range neutral. Plus, I do have a bad habit of shielding too much to protect myself, which allows Yoshis to often get free Egg Lays and/or grabs on me. The good thing with the latter is that supposedly Yoshi's grabs don't have much followup options.

Also regarding his kill setups, I believe a well-aimed Egg Throw at certain percents can lead to something like an up smash or up aerial if timed and/or distanced right. Plus, that CRAZY dash attack....
Also, I do tend to get a bit lucky when Yoshi zooms too far past me when he tries to land forward aerial, usually due to me moving forward as well.

Last edited:

TheHappyDino7

Smash Rookie
I never get grab follow-ups, however there is the Grab Release. NEVER shield if you get grabbed released, one D-Special and your shield is just gone. Most of the time it's just Jab. Also yes, you can kill confirm with a Egg Throw, however it's way too hard to actually perform, even when following up with a U-Smash, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. And the Dash Attack, in my opinion one of the better ones. Long Range and decent knock-back is quite annoying, however i never really see follow-ups. It's best to shield it, it does have some End-Lag. Shielding against Yoshi too much is quite bad. Shield a attack, you will most likely drop your shield and get hit by either a Jab or N-Air, Yoshi's quickest moves. Of course, everyone has their own style of play, but i usually fight other aggressive type, which causes major shield pressure. Like i said before, it is best to outrange Yoshi any time you can. I often struggle against Mega-Man, the amount of projectiles and such is hard to approach, but try not to be campy.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I never get grab follow-ups, however there is the Grab Release. NEVER shield if you get grabbed released, one D-Special and your shield is just gone. Most of the time it's just Jab. Also yes, you can kill confirm with a Egg Throw, however it's way too hard to actually perform, even when following up with a U-Smash, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. And the Dash Attack, in my opinion one of the better ones. Long Range and decent knock-back is quite annoying, however i never really see follow-ups. It's best to shield it, it does have some End-Lag. Shielding against Yoshi too much is quite bad. Shield a attack, you will most likely drop your shield and get hit by either a Jab or N-Air, Yoshi's quickest moves. Of course, everyone has their own style of play, but i usually fight other aggressive type, which causes major shield pressure. Like i said before, it is best to outrange Yoshi any time you can. I often struggle against Mega-Man, the amount of projectiles and such is hard to approach, but try not to be campy.
I see. Again, ty.

Btw, I've been a bit of a ranter on some of these threads I posted....so I'm trying my best to actually ask for advice I can make use of on my own.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Some of that is definitely misinformation; shielding is actually the best response to grab releases. You can react to the Down B and roll away if he does it, and it should be punishable from there. Yoshi players should be going for Dthrow > Uair, but yeah, other than that there aren't any guaranteed followups. This actually makes shielding against Yoshi pretty good, especially considering that his grab is slow and really punishable, egg lay comes out frame 21, and the only move he has that's really safe on shield is retreating fair. Obviously, you still have to watch out for egg lay mixups, but it should be punishable. I don't fight many Yoshis myself so I can't say for sure how to punish egg lay, but you should be able to interrupt it (again, comes out frame 21) or roll behind him and attack him from there.
Characters that outrange Yoshi are good against him, but from the characters you main, only the Pits are really able to do that. However, out of your mains, Meta Knight should be your best bet. If you can ladder Yoshi properly (which should be relatively easy because he's floaty), this'll help you out in the matchup a lot. I'd have to ask others on the exact reasons why Meta Knight is good against Yoshi, but he's considered one of our worst matchups.
If Yoshi has a habit of Nairing your shield, that's really punishable and you shouldn't let them get away with that.
I disagree with camping being a bad strategy against Yoshi. Your characters aren't really the types to camp with projectiles like Link/Samus, but Yoshi does struggle a bit in safe approaches. If you stay out of his range and force him to approach, pretty much anything he'll do requires commitment. Fair might be safe on shield, but you can interrupt it. Meta Knight should be able to run under Yoshi while he's using Up B and punish it if he's close enough. Nair is unsafe on shield. Short hop airdodges are punishable if you time your punishes correctly. Etc., etc.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
Some of that is definitely misinformation; shielding is actually the best response to grab releases. You can react to the Down B and roll away if he does it, and it should be punishable from there. Yoshi players should be going for Dthrow > Uair, but yeah, other than that there aren't any guaranteed followups. This actually makes shielding against Yoshi pretty good, especially considering that his grab is slow and really punishable, egg lay comes out frame 21, and the only move he has that's really safe on shield is retreating fair. Obviously, you still have to watch out for egg lay mixups, but it should be punishable. I don't fight many Yoshis myself so I can't say for sure how to punish egg lay, but you should be able to interrupt it (again, comes out frame 21) or roll behind him and attack him from there.
Characters that outrange Yoshi are good against him, but from the characters you main, only the Pits are really able to do that. However, out of your mains, Meta Knight should be your best bet. If you can ladder Yoshi properly (which should be relatively easy because he's floaty), this'll help you out in the matchup a lot. I'd have to ask others on the exact reasons why Meta Knight is good against Yoshi, but he's considered one of our worst matchups.
If Yoshi has a habit of Nairing your shield, that's really punishable and you shouldn't let them get away with that.
I disagree with camping being a bad strategy against Yoshi. Your characters aren't really the types to camp with projectiles like Link/Samus, but Yoshi does struggle a bit in safe approaches. If you stay out of his range and force him to approach, pretty much anything he'll do requires commitment. Fair might be safe on shield, but you can interrupt it. Meta Knight should be able to run under Yoshi while he's using Up B and punish it if he's close enough. Nair is unsafe on shield. Short hop airdodges are punishable if you time your punishes correctly. Etc., etc.
Yeah...sadly I suck at laddering. I'm too much of a hit-and-run neutral kind of player. I better hit the lab for that damn combo... *sigh*

Top Bottom