• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I get better by my self(for the time being)?

Hippobro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1091-9752-8008
I main jiggs and I would like some effective ways to practice on my own or with a CPU. Thank you! :D

AirFair

Marth tho
Well, I'm not really a jiggs main so I can't tell you much. Practice on lvl 1-3 CPUs for good DI so you can practice combos (assuming you don't have 20XX) . Besides that, just work on setups on different characters. Don't actively try to fight the CPUs, it will create bad habits for you.

Play a fighting game online in ranked matches. The fundamental skills like (an abstract) spacing, mix up, and prediction will carry over into Melee

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Practice tech skill.
Even if jiggs has a low apm it doesn't mean you can't work on her tech. (Which I assume you don't have yet since you're making a thread generally made by new players who can work at just about everything imaginable to improve)

Alternatively play online via dolphin

MekBEASY

Smash Rookie
Practice tech skill.
Even if jiggs has a low apm it doesn't mean you can't work on her tech. (Which I assume you don't have yet since you're making a thread generally made by new players who can work at just about everything imaginable to improve)

Alternatively play online via dolphin

I have a question about going online via dolphin. As someone who hasnt done it, and doesnt know much about emulation, whats the lag like? Is it realistic enough to have fun or is it a little choppy?

AirFair

Marth tho
Tbh It's not too horrible. But it's not too good either. I can't give you an exact number but many have said that if you have good specs and connection, it's good for practice (Quoting PPMD on this one, though he also mentioned to do it sparingly because of the lag)

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about going online via dolphin. As someone who hasnt done it, and doesnt know much about emulation, whats the lag like? Is it realistic enough to have fun or is it a little choppy?
Really depends on your computer/connection with your opponent. You need a decently powerful computer to run dolphin at 100% and it has input delay you can set higher to avoid fluctuations however if your or your opponents internet isn't good it will fluctuate easily if not it'll be fine.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
from my personal experience, there are many things that you can only practice by yourself/an inactive opponent, think about how M2K says you have to be able to do something 99/100 times frame perfect before you can utilize it properly, and you don't have to take it to that extent, but it's a great mindset to have, because a big part of melee is muscle memory/tech skill, once it becomes second nature it's alot easier to focus on other things and not have to worry about flubbing as much

here is the thread about practicing alone/with CPU http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-discussion-thread.256826/page-439#post-14739329

Last edited:
Top Bottom