• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I become PPMD

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
You need to practice 4 hours a day on a sensible and effective regimen, and journal your exact progress in terms of success rates of execution of each individual tech you practice. Then comes the proverbial inner game of tennis. Layers of reads, mindgames, spacing, incorporation of rhythm and well placed changes in tempo of your dashdances after appropriate conditioning, etc. TL;DR: Read the marth and falco threads that he posts on.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I've just noticed something unique about his neutral game that he uses pivot > SHL a lot.
Maybe because you retreat safely with lasers but do not give away stage control.

TopTierTaite

Smash Rookie
Not that I have any place to tell anyone anything since I've done nothing in Smash (done a few things in my local FG community a few years ago though in PSAS and Marvel though), but don't focus on becoming the next PP. Focus on becoming the best Young Monii you can be. Jiyuna (A semi-pro Anime fighter player) once said "Don't focus on getting good, focus on getting better." and that resonated with me and my journey to improving my gameplay in all games that I play. Hopefully it can resonate with you too.

Here's a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-RHsoULeA
I recommend reading Sirlin's playing to win too. I haven't finished it, but it gives great insight on how to grow a "pro mentality"

You live in Miami, I'm sure there's a good scene in your area. Get out there and play!

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
PPMD doesn't move for the sake of moving. He has an intimate understanding of characters' threatening ranges and how to position himself in such a way that allows the best window for reaction while keeping his own options open.

Until you get a solid grasp of those extremely complex patterns that PPMD recognizes, nothing that you do will be "like PPMD".

Last edited:

TopTierTaite

Smash Rookie
PPMD doesn't move for the sake of moving. He has an intimate understanding of characters' threatening ranges and how to position himself in such a way that allows the best window for reaction while keeping his own options open.

Until you get a solid grasp of those extremely complex patterns that PPMD recognizes, nothing that you do will be "like PPMD".
I agree. I wouldn't say extremely complex though, it's just something that comes with playing the game for such a long time.

At any rate though, he's right. You have to understand each characters' (at least the top 15 or so characters) options and how to move around them. Wobbles does a great job explaining that in his neutral game discussion.

Top Bottom