• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I beat Young Link?

KillingACan

Smash Rookie
I'm always seeded to play him and he plays both fox and young link, I could beat his fox but he likes to play young link more and I really just don't know how to beat him, getting around both the projectiles and not being able to be above or under him.

Taxi2lumby

Smash Rookie
I recommend a one and done type approach just spacing airs that are disjointed or fast so mainly fair Bair nair but nair will see far less use I'm this mu because yl can out space it with up air. By one and done I mean get a hit and retreat because young link has such an ability to punish any whiffs and kills pretty early with up air dair and nair. Also avoid his bombs like the plague if you get hit by a bomb you can basically garentee getting hit with a nair or a close boomerang foe a ton of damage. If your about 60% unless all his killmoves are stale you will probably die off a bad trade. Avoid trading with him as he will kill you far earlier than you kill him and he deals generally more % per hits don't challange his up b as it can mess you up if you don't tech the stage and your vertical recovery is good but not near as good as your horizontal. If yl is not recovering low out and Bair him or fair him under the stage if he recovers low. If he gets the lead yl will probably camp the top platform on bf dl yoshis & fod and he has way better options coming down then you have to retaliate going up at him.

Tl;dr prioritize safe pokes and don't go for risky stuff try to get an early lead to incentivize yl to approach rather than camp you out but do so without overextending. Spacing and patience are paramount.

Sdhy

Smash Rookie
Go into training mode and count how many seconds it takes for the bomb to come out and for the boomerang to go away.
And then practice counting in your head, "1 mississippi, 2 mississippi..."

The animation for about-to-throw-the-boomerang is very obvious and long,
and (Adult) Link makes a very obvious sound at the beginning of throwing animation.
If YL does this too then kindly turn up the volume a bit and listen for that.

If YL catches the boomerang while doing nothing (i.e. not doing an aerial), then he'll freeze for a 19-frame catching animation!
So that's either an opportunity to punish,
Or YL being forced to do an aerial.
Maybe you can fair or bair the boomerangs away.

There's probably "safe zones" from projectiles since Links can't throw projectiles in any direction.
Boomerang can only be thrown so diagonal.
Bomb's can only go forward, arc, down, z-drop, up, back.
(z-drop is quick. One more reason not to be below a Link).

Note: the rest of the stuff is based off of Adult Link. I assume this also applies to Young Link / YL:

Link's hookshot can't grab airborne people at long range (but it still can close to Link's body).

If you don't hear the boomerang whooshing through the air, then that means it's gone.
Close-up boomerangs hurt and start combos well, but they're also unsafe for Link.
YL takes just as long to throw it (but YL's boomerang lasts 10 frames longer).

(Adult) Link's boomerang vanishes if:
- it hits the stage's blast zones
- was out for too long (but how long???)
- you hit Link after the boomerang comes out but before Link finishes his throwing animation (i.e. before Link can start doing something else again). Weird. It's an 18 frame window (for YL too).

Oh, and (Adult) Link's dair has a high hitbox near the hilt that can still KO. So if you think you got KO'd by YL's head, that's probably why.

Bombs fly through the air slowly, too, (at least Adult bombs lol) so practice catching them if you can.

buffer-tech Link's downthrow.
Link's side-throws are lousy at low %.
YL probably has to jump to combo out of down and up throw vs floaties. Dunno if that helps.
Oh, but if YL's upthrow is anything like Adult Link's at high %, then it might KO Jigglypuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom