• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I beat Marth?

NoisyBoy

Smash Rookie
What do I look for, what do I do in neutral, how often should I try and crouch cancel, how do you get past forward smashes at 70% and how do you get past downtilts, what are the best approaches etc? I always get 3 stocked or if I'm lucky 2 stocked against good Marths. I can easily beat people lower than me, but if its an actual good player I feel like I'm not even in control of my own character. It's like this for pretty much every player that's better than me tbh but Marth is my current struggle since I just got off of practice getting destroyed the whole time not even having fun. I also have problems juggling, like I have trouble doing more than two short hop up airs against marth for some reason. Idk if it's because he's lighter so he goes further and I have less space to work with, or if it's just a problem I have.

Last edited:

clarify

Smash Cadet
Up throw works better at high percents than down throw.
Dash dance to bait out an attack, then go in (kinda like how Falcons are normally). Combo game on Marth should be easier than spacies.
If you're off the stage trying to recover, then RIP. Marth's edgeguarding is insanely good. Best advice I can give is try to go higher in recovery to avoid down tilt or fsmash, but you may not always have this luxury.
If he's throwing out down tilts in neutral, approach with SH nair or knee.
Edgeguarding him can be simple if you correctly time a bair or dair while he's spamming Side B to get back to the stage. Just make sure you know what he's doing.

Someone better than me can probably give better advice, but from my experience, this is what I've got.

Last edited:

yung_boosty

Smash Rookie
I'm not claiming to be a master at the match-up, but I feel like I can offer some decent advice -

Generally, when I think a Marth is going to run up and dtilt me, I try to mix up my dashdance by wavedashing a lil bit beyond the range of where I imagine Marth is going to stop, with the only downside being that you lose some space. The same applies for forward smash in neutral too. From that position, nair and knee treat you pretty well, as said above.

If you're getting fsmashed at ~70%, you gotta dashdance better and make Marth whiff it, because that's a free grab.

I recommend watching this video, it's M2K analyzing Scar vs. Crimson Blur, and there's some good advice in there.

Greed-checkTheTek

Smash Ace
Marth's move set pretty much out-ranges everything Falcon does.

Accept this fact, and stop trying to beat him in neutral with Nair, you'll die.

That doesnt mean never Nair, It just means choose when you Nair sparingly, mostly off grab combos.

In neutral, you want to dash dance at a safe range, and punish his whiffs.

For example: Many Marths are rowdy and over aggressive because they know they out range most characters.A lot of Marth players will do a fast-fall approaching Nair, you dash dance outside the range until after the aerial is done and run In grab> combo punish.

Run up shield Is also great In this matchup.

Run up shield>Shield grab Marth's poorly approached aerial

Run up shield>Up-Air Out of Shield

As for combos grabs are bread and butter, Down-throw regrab Down-throw Nair Up air at 0 sets up for K O

At about 70-80 percent you can Up throw Knee or Down throw If preferred

Most marths love to spam F-smash, you need to learn how to predict this to avoid them, a good sign an F-smash Is headed your way is when marth has his back towards you, and is slowly walking away, huge F-smash red flag.

Marth's down tilt Is an extremely fast move, you should try to read his dtilt patterns, you can dash dance>approach stomp above marth, slightly drifting past/behind him, this way you'll get a stomp, If he shields, you can dash back grab punish.

You want to avoid being above marth on Platforms , and the same for him Is true, Both marth and Falcon cover above them very well.

When you catch a Marth on a platform above you, do Instant Up-airs, many In succession, this will force marth to shield, then you can either do a knee and It can shield poke him , or continue with Up airs for guaranteed pressure

Dont be afraid to edge-guard marth, You have many options.

when Marth Is recovering he cant do much to be defensive, especially without a double jump. If he Is this close to the stage>

https://i.imgur.com/O5r9nGm.png

you can easily jump down>fastfall>back-air> recover.

If marth Is a bit too low or far for that, you can go the safer route with the infamous marth killer, which Is a light shield at the edge>marth up B's into you>Falcon Grabs ledge> Knee.

OR

Refresh ledge Invincibility>marth lands onstage>Knee/Stomp>knee depending on percent

It sounds Like you need to brush up on your marth combos, I suggest experimenting In 20xx or offline, and practice when certain combos work.

Understand that this matchup Is mostly even with a slight edge to Marth solely by range.But Falcon absolutely 0-deaths marth consisntently In the right hands, you can do It, stick with it, study, watch Wizzrobe VS marths, and Good luck.

Regards

-Timothy Price

Top Bottom