• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How balanced is 64's roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I mostly play Melee and only play 64 casually, so I was just wondering if there were either any game breakers (i.e, Meta Knight in Brawl) or tier-trash type characters. (i.e, Kirby in Melee)

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
I mostly play Melee and only play 64 casually, so I was just wondering if there were either any game breakers (i.e, Meta Knight in Brawl) or tier-trash type characters. (i.e, Kirby in Melee)
Ah my friend well aren't you in for a pleasant surprise. Competitive Super Smash Bros. 64 is the most balanced and 'stable' smash brothers game. The main concern with characters possibly being 'better' than others is the disjointed hitboxes, as Smash64 is a relatively simple game. Such hitboxes as Pikachu's Uair or Kirby's utilt are pretty broken. However, this game is easy to pick up and learn, all you have to do is learn how to approach such character tactics and avoid their attacks. With the power of Ranged attacks and Spacing you can easily overcome any 'broken' hitboxes.

This game is more about counter picks, and player styles. Like, Jigglypuff counters Pikachus, and Luigi Counters Jigglys, and Pikas counter Ness. However, this is a very empty way of expressing the game match ups. Every Match up chart for SSB64 has been bias and is never correct about all the match ups. Once you learn more than 2 characters you will have your own match up feelings. As for the best character, I'd say MARIO because not only is his recovery one of the best in the game but he also has the best ranged attacks and can easily edge guard. A skilled Mario will **** a rat. Those who place Pikachu on top of the tier list are only doing so because of how easy it is to learn Pikachu combos on dreamland. Fox is better than pikachu, Foxes recovery is a lot easier to counter though, but for the most part Fox can get anywhere he wants to be in no time. Pikachu is light and teleports to the same locations when recovering. Isai's RAT is overrated, if there was a fox player that was as good as some of the top players now, instead of being Kirbys then they would definitely **** isai's rat.

So pretty much, smash64 has no tier list nor Match ups. Yes the basic Jiggly gets ***** by luigi at early %s and Kirby is easy to use statements still apply, but they are in no way game breaking. Smash64 is unique in that way.

My tier list

Fox/Pika/Kirby
Mario/Falcon/DK
Luigi/Jigglypuff/Link
Yoshi/Samus

If firo wasn't the only good ness I've played (parallax's ness became trash) i'd put ness up with Mario and falcon but Ness users don't exist anymore.

Last edited:

Mr Bushido

Smash Ace
Ah my friend well aren't you in for a pleasant surprise. Competitive Super Smash Bros. 64 is the most balanced and 'stable' smash brothers game. The main concern with characters possibly being 'better' than others is the disjointed hitboxes, as Smash64 is a relatively simple game. Such hitboxes as Pikachu's Uair or Kirby's utilt are pretty broken. However, this game is easy to pick up and learn, all you have to do is learn how to approach such character tactics and avoid their attacks. With the power of Ranged attacks and Spacing you can easily overcome any 'broken' hitboxes.

This game is more about counter picks, and player styles. Like, Jigglypuff counters Pikachus, and Luigi Counters Jigglys, and Pikas counter Ness. However, this is a very empty way of expressing the game match ups. Every Match up chart for SSB64 has been bias and is never correct about all the match ups. Once you learn more than 2 characters you will have your own match up feelings. As for the best character, I'd say MARIO because not only is his recovery one of the best in the game but he also has the best ranged attacks and can easily edge guard. A skilled Mario will **** a rat. Those who place Pikachu on top of the tier list are only doing so because of how easy it is to learn Pikachu combos on dreamland. Fox is better than pikachu, Foxes recovery is a lot easier to counter though, but for the most part Fox can get anywhere he wants to be in no time. Pikachu is light and teleports to the same locations when recovering. Isai's RAT is overrated, if there was a fox player that was as good as some of the top players now, instead of being Kirbys then they would definitely **** isai's rat.

So pretty much, smash64 has no tier list nor Match ups. Yes the basic Jiggly gets ***** by luigi at early %s and Kirby is easy to use statements still apply, but they are in no way game breaking. Smash64 is unique in that way.

My tier list

Fox/Pika/Kirby
Mario/Falcon/DK
Luigi/Jigglypuff/Link
Yoshi/Samus
ur dum

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
No she doesn't
Nope

These two statements are just empty statements with the only significant meaning behind them being you both suck at this game, and I don't mean I don't suck, I mean the levels between us are just too far apart for you to not be ignorant of what I said. So I will just ASSUME you are trying to troll, but seriously, this is not the time or place for it.

Jigglypuff: Dair, utilt, rest. Fthrows to Bairs to Rests. Uairs to rest. Pikachu falls into all of these, even with insane di pikachu can get early % killed on something that is very easy to do for everyone.

Luigi: Dair uairs Up B. Low Priority's to UpB. Down B.... Luigi has a lot of easy methods to kill jigglypuff early on.

Do I need to have a one on one lesson with you children? I could teach you how to play, Mint you have been around for more than a year I believe, So you can't truly be that smash ignorant can you?

Note: Welcome to OpinionBoards, the only way to justify your self is to smash, which I do and have done to all of you. I'm justified behind my opinions, neither of you are. Now get the **** off my thread before I have you banned for excessive trolling.

Madao

Hey OP, don't listen to a word said by smasher. He is clearly delusional. Most of the stuff he wrote is either debatable or just plain wrong. Roster balance is a very debatable topic. Imo the game isn't that balanced, but I'm not sure how it compares to other games. I haven't played melee or brawl in months.

Lol @ Fox being better than Pikachu. Jigglypuff is not a Pikachu counter.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
Hey OP, don't listen to a word said by smasher. He is clearly delusional. Most of the stuff he wrote is either debatable or just plain wrong. Roster balance is a very debatable topic. Imo the game isn't that balanced, but I'm not sure how it compares to other games. I haven't played melee or brawl in months.

Lol @ Fox being better than Pikachu. Jigglypuff is not a Pikachu counter.
LOL "Hey OP Don't listen to smasher" as soon as you said that you made your self look like an idiot. Read upwards.

Jigglypuff can kill Pikachu at 30% with a Bair or slap to rest. Get the **** outta here kid you don't know what the **** your saying. I've been playing jigglypuff on pikachu before your balls dropped son now get real *****. Fox is 100x better than pikachu, Oh what pikachu gonna uair on foxes recovery to edge guard, OH BIG DEAL, whats pikachu gonna do teleport into an upsmash from a skilled fox? Oh yeah and what about foxes ground game, Fox will take pikachu from the Left side of hyrule to the tent and ass **** him.

The Balance is no where near as debatable as Melee or brawl or Fake Brawl now shut the **** up. DO YOU SMELL THAT? IT'S NOT WHAT THE ROCKS COOKING IT'S YOUR OWN ****ING ****.

Madao

LOL "Hey OP Don't listen to smasher" as soon as you said that you made your self look like an idiot. Read upwards.

Jigglypuff can kill Pikachu at 30% with a Bair or slap to rest. Get the **** outta here kid you don't know what the **** your saying. I've been playing jigglypuff on pikachu before your balls dropped son now get real *****. Fox is 100x better than pikachu, Oh what pikachu gonna uair on foxes recovery to edge guard, OH BIG DEAL, whats pikachu gonna do teleport into an upsmash from a skilled fox? Oh yeah and what about foxes ground game, Fox will take pikachu from the Left side of hyrule to the tent and *** **** him.

The Balance is no where near as debatable as Melee or brawl or Fake Brawl now shut the **** up. DO YOU SMELL THAT? IT'S NOT WHAT THE ROCKS COOKING IT'S YOUR OWN ****ING ****.
You've made yourself look like an idiot on several occasions. You don't even know how to read and you pretend that you know things. Obviously a game with less characters is going to be less debatable when it comes to roster balance... Logic not even once.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you about Fox vs Pikachu, since all you can do is bring up one specific scenario on 1 stage that is disliked by a good amount of people. Just because Jigglypuff is able to combo Pikachu does not mean Jigglypuff has the advantage.

Funny how your tier list doesn't even have all 12 characters.

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
You've made yourself look like an idiot on several occasions. You don't even know how to read and you pretend that you know things. Obviously a game with less characters is going to be less debatable when it comes to roster balance... Logic not even once.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you about Fox vs Pikachu, since all you can do is bring up one specific scenario on 1 stage that is disliked by a good amount of people. Just because Jigglypuff is able to combo Pikachu does not mean Jigglypuff has the advantage.

Funny how your tier list doesn't even have all 12 characters.

If only I was canadian.

Last edited:

Smasherx74

Smash Journeyman
so smasher, what were you up to while you were banned?
Idk, I only came back because gav told me he was unbanned so I put two and two together and figured Smashboards thought they would make more money if they unban people. Well guess what, I got adblock.

Also whoever is creepylink that's not me, it was probably canuet,

Sangoku

Smash Master
@ LovinMitts LovinMitts

I'm sorry I have to close this thread, but as you can see it is transforming into a matchup/tier list flame war and that's not what we want.

Concerning your question, as you can see people's opinions are divergent on that matter, but I believe the general consensus is that balance is pretty good in that game (for several reasons, such as a smaller cast). Take Samus for example, who's considered one of the worst: cobr_evolution has decent placings with her, JaimeHR has a very good Samus, and Jousuke has won many tournaments with her (although he plays a slightly different game aka J version and their tier list is different from ours), etc.

Anyway what I mean is the difference between players is a lot more important than the difference between characters. If I play against someone reasonably better than me (like a tier above or something), chances are high that he'll beat me with almost all of his characters (except if he's a strict main, but that's rare in 64).

Then again, everybody can disagree and some think pikachu/kirby are game breaking, and some others think all the top tiers are game breaking.

In short I think the answer would be: game breakers? Arguably yes (pika/kirby) or tier-trash type characters? Probably not.

If you feel you haven't seen a satisfying answer, PM me and I'll re-open the thread. However, I'll be strict on infractions for offtopic/flaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom