• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament How Bad is Mewtwo's Block String?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

So apparently this string is unescapable if you block it, and can lead to a time out victory.

How does this shake up competitive play?

:150:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Not really in a place where I can listen to the video for details, but I guess it depends on how easy that is to set up. Is that one of S.Mewtwo's BnB attacks anyways (haven't played him at all)? If so that could be tricky if he manages to get the phase shift and close in, but then you could choose to counter it I guess? Also looking from the vid, half of the round is over and normal mewtwo still wasn't at 1hp while Shadow takes much more damage, so Shadow needs to make sure it has the time to bring the opponent low enough that it could cheese out with probably...Espeon?

This will certainly make the field phase very important against Shadow, as losing it early could trap you. It's definitely silly, but there does appear to be conditions to it:

-Win the field phase to make closing in easier (difficulty in doing this varies by opponent, obviously)
-Correctly guess that opponent will block on wake up rather than counter
-Have enough time to lower opponent HP to point where you can cheese out the support/burst heal because you're losing HP WAY faster than they are for any lead to matter since you have the lowest default HP and you're losing 20 for their 18.

Those are my thoughts from just seeing the infinite. If Shofu mentions something in that video that invalidates everything I just said...my bad, can't hear the vid right now.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It depends on the context to determine how bad it is. In online rank it sucks and there is nothing to stop it from happening once it starts. Granted, there has to a slightly specific distance between you and the opponent, and the opponent has to shield. Making it an unlikely scenario, but still possible.

In a tournament setting however, this would be banned without banning Shadow Mewtwo, so no worries on that front.

Top Bottom