• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How bad does Greninja suffer on WiFi?

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Recently picked up the ninja frog and having a lot of fun with him offline but online really struggling. I’m a solid player 4.7 GSP with Lucario and Bowser but can’t even stay above 3 mil with Greninja.

Do you guys think Greninja is noticeably worse to play as online or this case is more just the process of learning a new and fairly technical character? Thanks.

HeavyMaster

Smash Cadet
Combo-orientated characters have it kind of rough online because online always has a 6 frame input lag minimum, so characters like sheik and in this situation greninja suffer from it pretty badly. Incineroar's side b is also harder to get the full force lariat, because the timing is different online so you kind of have to learn 2 different timings.

While Greninja is not the hardest character in the game, he still is quite challenging. You'll find it harder to land combos consistently because of this 6 frames input lag, and that's why most greninja players i've met online spam water shuriken and smash attacks, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Combo-orientated characters have it kind of rough online because online always has a 6 frame input lag minimum, so characters like sheik and in this situation greninja suffer from it pretty badly. Incineroar's side b is also harder to get the full force lariat, because the timing is different online so you kind of have to learn 2 different timings.

While Greninja is not the hardest character in the game, he still is quite challenging. You'll find it harder to land combos consistently because of this 6 frames input lag, and that's why most greninja players i've met online spam water shuriken and smash attacks, unfortunately.
Yeah the timing on his aerials are already slightly wonky so trying to time them crisply online is pretty tricky. Wasn’t aware of the 6 frame wifi input lag though. Can definitely see how that would burden combo/string-oriented characters more. Thanks

Richard & Blaziken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richard_Blaziken
3DS FC
1547-5283-8177
I can't and won't speak for certain here, but I found playing Greninja early in the game's lifecycle to be very difficult online. I'm not sure if I've just adjusted to the feel online, learned the buffer system better, improved in general, or all of the above, but I can say that Greninja can be rough online sometimes. In general, Greninja's light weight in this game can make it really frustrating to play in any scenario where lag is present, because you need those combos to rack up damage quickly and/or get the kill confirm before the opponent runs away with momentum.

As with anything, practice makes perfect, but as Greninja is a bit of a tricky character to learn and master due to his odd moves, make sure the time spent learning him is worth it to you.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, Zero actually put out an online tier list based on the input lag, and sure enough, all the combo oriented characters were at the bottom while the heavies like Ganondorf and Dedede were actually pretty high due to their ability to kill with only 4 or 5 hits. In a way, it kind of makes training online pointless because if you get too accustomed to the input lag, then things will feel off if you try to play locally at a tournament or something. At least, that how I feel.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
I can't and won't speak for certain here, but I found playing Greninja early in the game's lifecycle to be very difficult online. I'm not sure if I've just adjusted to the feel online, learned the buffer system better, improved in general, or all of the above, but I can say that Greninja can be rough online sometimes. In general, Greninja's light weight in this game can make it really frustrating to play in any scenario where lag is present, because you need those combos to rack up damage quickly and/or get the kill confirm before the opponent runs away with momentum.

As with anything, practice makes perfect, but as Greninja is a bit of a tricky character to learn and master due to his odd moves, make sure the time spent learning him is worth it to you.
Yeah although I’m doing better it’s really frustrating trying to execute those bread and butter combos in lag that, as you said, we need to rack up good damage.

Yeah, Zero actually put out an online tier list based on the input lag, and sure enough, all the combo oriented characters were at the bottom while the heavies like Ganondorf and Dedede were actually pretty high due to their ability to kill with only 4 or 5 hits. In a way, it kind of makes training online pointless because if you get too accustomed to the input lag, then things will feel off if you try to play locally at a tournament or something. At least, that how I feel.
I saw that tier list but just wanted to get some input from actual Greninja players lol but damn hadent thought about getting accustomed to the lag online and then feeling weird offline. That would suck lol luckily although I play online way more than offline, when I do play offline the game feels just so much better lol

Top Bottom