• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How bad are the 3.0 nerfs?

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I have not gotten a chance to play since 3.0 dropped, but my heart sunk a little when I saw all Robin got was nerfs. Archfire and Archthunder are much weaker against shields now, which seems to be a general nerf with most projectile characters, but is A BIG nerf to Robin if it's as bad as I think. Archfire was already a risky move, and hitting a shielding opponent with it was one of Robin's few reliable ways to hold an opponent down. It doesn't help that Robin's projectiles have some of the worst durability in the game, so if I am reading this nerf right, it will just give the opponent yet ANOTHER option to beat your projectiles.

So I am hoping I am misunderstanding this nerf. Does Archfire still do a good job at holding people in place? I am fine with it taking less health out of shield, I am just worried about losing one of my best pressure tools.

Freckle Ginger

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
sw-3431-3866-9310
I really hope they didnt, thats one of the reasons why i like to play as Robin, also the pun I'll be Robin your house at night:ultrobin::ultrobinf:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I have not gotten a chance to play since 3.0 dropped, but my heart sunk a little when I saw all Robin got was nerfs. Archfire and Archthunder are much weaker against shields now, which seems to be a general nerf with most projectile characters, but is A BIG nerf to Robin if it's as bad as I think. Archfire was already a risky move, and hitting a shielding opponent with it was one of Robin's few reliable ways to hold an opponent down. It doesn't help that Robin's projectiles have some of the worst durability in the game, so if I am reading this nerf right, it will just give the opponent yet ANOTHER option to beat your projectiles.

So I am hoping I am misunderstanding this nerf. Does Archfire still do a good job at holding people in place? I am fine with it taking less health out of shield, I am just worried about losing one of my best pressure tools.
I'm pleased to inform you that you ARE misunderstanding the nerfs. All that was changed was that thunder, elthunder, and arcfire (not arcthunder and thoron, they were exempt) all had their shield damage reduced as part of a near-universal nerf to projectiles on shields. The only real, meaningful downside to this for robin is that we can no longer get easy shield breaks/pokes off of arcfire->levin dsmash, which was actually pretty unreliable to get to begin with due to arcfire needing to be placed in a very specific spot on shield to be true. Thunder and elthunder shield damage nerfs are pretty much entirely irrelevant.

I don't know why people are saying shieldstun was what was reduced, because that is untrue. All that changed was damage to shields.

In short, Robin was mostly unaffected by this patch. If anything, we might actually be better off due to the changes other characters got, especially to those who are more reliant on projectile shield pressure than we are.

Last edited:

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I don't know why people are saying shieldstun was what was reduced, because that is untrue. All that changed was damage to shields.
I think it is because some, like myself, associate shield damage with shield stun. Most moves that deal high shield
damage also tend to have a ton of shield stun, so I simply did not think about it.

Glad I was wrong and that I learned something new today!

Top Bottom