• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How are people so good at this game?

hpboy98

Smash Rookie
It's like they've been playing it nonstop for years. 0/9 in 1v1. Nintendo sucks, they should at least match you with regular people.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
How do they know who to rank you with if they don't know how good you are against other players?
I'm pretty sure they have some type of hidden ranking system but people need to be placed into it first for it to work.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well, we have been playing it for years. Though the characters are different, the fundamentals aren't that different from past games.

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
I could've sworn that I read it's all about your Offline, Single-Player Smash rating.

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
It's like they've been playing it nonstop for years. 0/9 in 1v1. Nintendo sucks, they should at least match you with regular people.
First of all, Smash HAS been out for years and the formula is still the same.

Second... "Regular people?"

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
How do they know who to rank you with if they don't know how good you are against other players?
I'm pretty sure they have some type of hidden ranking system but people need to be placed into it first for it to work.
There is a ranking system(it's called global smash power btw) in place,but that's label under your offline results for single player,and not online,which means your pretty much facing players of random skill levels all the time for online,whether it be "for fun" or "for glory" mode,there's no difference.

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
Oops somehow double posted.

Yes, it IS based on offline rating. So...make sure you play like crap offline! :D

Last edited:

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
If it's basing who I go up against because I can competently handle myself against CPUs? Sure.

Then again, I might be exaggerating a bit for the sake of my lame sense of humor. I've only played 10 For Glory matches, after all.

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
I'm losing a lot too. Playing with friends at sleepovers didn't cut it for prepping. I guess a lot of people have been a part of the "scene" for many years, or they're just naturals.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
But how are you supposed to practice 1v1 outside of for glory?
I'd say just play solo to learn your desired character's moves, and then just take to For Glory. Yeah, you'll get bodied, but I believe the best way to learn this game is to simply fight human opponents.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Oh buddy, we have.

It was called Smash Bros. Melee.
It is also called Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Melee isn't the only game in the series prior to Smash 4, buddy.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Hm. What a poor ranking system. No wonder I lose all my For Glory matches.
That's why you should strive to improve yourself. To be honest...there are plenty of mediocre players on For Glory. You'll probably only be matched with a mid level half of the time, at least from my experience.

You're going to get bodied, but you'll improve in time if you endure it. (Also, watching and analyzing higher level players, and applying some of their tactics to your own gameplay can help)

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Thats odd, I keep finding myself against Little Macs that only know how to dash attack and people who like to SD all the time. One guy I fought just flat out jumped off the edge and KO'd himself twice. Its like, how am I supposed to lose

Sambiti

Smash Cadet
It's simple. The game has been out for 15 years. You should be good if you play smash regularly. Play "For Fun" mode if you want to have more fun and not get obliterated, and stop complaining its your fault that you suck.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Global Smash Power doesn't determine online match-ups, people. Sakurai said they have a matchmaking system working but it's not viewable. How much you win does affect who you get paired up against (apparently).

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'm losing a lot too. Playing with friends at sleepovers didn't cut it for prepping. I guess a lot of people have been a part of the "scene" for many years, or they're just naturals.
Oddly enough, playing with my friends prepared the hell out of me. I don't think I'd have a 76% win rate(and I'm increasing each fight) if I hadn't met my Smash Bros buddies. In Brawl, I only won fights once in a blue moon.

hpboy98

Smash Rookie
It's simple. The game has been out for 15 years. You should be good if you play smash regularly. Play "For Fun" mode if you want to have more fun and not get obliterated, and stop complaining its your fault that you suck.
Don't need your sarcasm kid

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Don't need your sarcasm kid
I'm pretty sure he was giving you actual advice there though. Complaining about losing will get you nowhere fast. Just knuckle down and have fun losing - it'll happen a lot.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Global Smash Power doesn't determine online match-ups, people. Sakurai said they have a matchmaking system working but it's not viewable. How much you win does affect who you get paired up against (apparently).
This. Pretty much this. A lot of the really good players are in what I call "Japan Tier" which is basically some amazing players from Japan stomping on us. Haha. Not really but I noticed a lot of the really talented players are Japanese. This is probably due to having the game for a month longer.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
Shame how some people's posts make it seem like they're passing a fact. I totally fell for it, and I should have known better because I knew the Global Smash Power was different across all characters, and even across the same characters in different game modes.
I stick by my first post, then. No idea what GSP is for though.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
It is also called Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Melee isn't the only game in the series prior to Smash 4, buddy.
Funny how quickly people forget that those two games existed at all and that many people played them and still play them to this day Ignorance at it's finest sadly :ohwell:

On topic however, the game has only been out for several days now and even the pros and those who are considered to be really good at the game start at the bottom of the match making pool like everyone else. It's only once you've played many online matches through various wins and loses that the game recognizes who you should play with in terms of your skill level or at least that's how it's felt for me. When I first started playing online, I had matches all over the place. Now it's starting to level out a bit more so it's making online matches more bearable and fun thankfully.

Of course you might just not be good at the game or as good as you thought you were sadly. Online is a whole different beast compared to CPU's and fighting against your friends for the most part. Not saying that's the case, just throwing it out there :p

Last edited:

iam8bit

Smash Ace
And 64, and Brawl...
Of course. But "it was called Smash Bros., Smash Bros. Melee and Smash Bros., Brawl" didn't have that good of a ring to it. LOL.

At least for me Melee was the one I played the most and where I got "good". I'm sure most experienced Smashers can relate.

See above, buddy.

Last edited:

Bladeyer

Smash Rookie
Ohh god, i've played a lot offline (bad internet), so I cant wait to see how they will kick my ass online as i try it D:

Leyo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Leyolith
3DS FC
3136-6661-4301
Since this game feels closest to brawl, those who played brawl a lot can adapt to Smash 4 the quickest. I have a friend who got the game 2 days later than me and was giving me trouble (He played brawl competitively). As for me, I play Melee the most. Of course there are the basic fundamentals but the brawl players have it easier to adapt imo. Any thoughts?

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Since this game feels closest to brawl, those who played brawl a lot can adapt to Smash 4 the quickest. I have a friend who got the game 2 days later than me and was giving me trouble (He played brawl competitively). As for me, I play Melee the most. Of course there are the basic fundamentals but the brawl players have it easier to adapt imo. Any thoughts?
I think it all depends how much you played smash in general across the previous titles. Like you could have a million hours in Melee, but 20 or so in Brawl and 64. I think having about an even amount of time in all those games would just generally prepare you for smash 4, and to be honest it doesn't feel anything like Brawl, 64, or even Melee in terms of mechanics, speed wise I would say its between brawl and melee.
Or it could be from people playing the hell out of the demo.

Funny how quickly people forget that those two games existed at all and that many people played them and still play them to this day Ignorance at it's finest sadly :ohwell:

On topic however, the game has only been out for several days now and even the pros and those who are considered to be really good at the game start at the bottom of the match making pool like everyone else. It's only once you've played many online matches through various wins and loses that the game recognizes who you should play with in terms of your skill level or at least that's how it's felt for me. When I first started playing online, I had matches all over the place. Now it's starting to level out a bit more so it's making online matches more bearable and fun thankfully.

Of course you might just not be good at the game or as good as you thought you were sadly. Online is a whole different beast compared to CPU's and fighting against your friends for the most part. Not saying that's the case, just throwing it out there :p
I feel the same way. right now I feel like I'm mixed in with players more near my skill level, with the occasional move spammer. I've got like a 50/50 win to lose ratio.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I would've closed this before it was even posted.

nghsk

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0104-1554-6849
This. Pretty much this. A lot of the really good players are in what I call "Japan Tier" which is basically some amazing players from Japan stomping on us. Haha. Not really but I noticed a lot of the really talented players are Japanese. This is probably due to having the game for a month longer.
Yeah, the fact that an entire country of people who play video games very well got the game a month ahead of us helps. Not to mention all the people who imported the game to be one step ahead/start getting ready for the competitive scene. "For Glory" is very much so living up to it's name.

Top Bottom