• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How all the Autolink angles work in SSB4

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
In SSB4, there are 3 different Autolink angles: 365, 366 and 367. Each one seems to function a little differently, so I decided to do some testing to deduce exactly how each one works. Below is a comprehensive list of my findings.

Nickname:

“Brawl Autolink”

Works on:

Grounded and aerial opponents

How it works:

Pulls opponents in the direction and speed that the attacker is moving.

Does not adjust for position of opponent, potentially causing it to fail at times

Does not care if the attacker is moving downwards.

Functions similarly to Autolink in Brawl, but slightly more refined.

Good for:

Moves which have hitboxes that don’t reappear in the same place (e.g Greninja’s Bair), where the 366 system might pull opponents into the wrong place. Moves that may be used when moving downwards, or on the ground.

Bad for:

Moves with consistently placed hitboxes. Moves that are used by opponents that are not really moving much (e.g Dark Pit’s up smash hit 1 behind or significantly above him). Moves that are likely to just barely connect at times.

Nickname:

"Ol’ Reliable”

Works on:

Aerial opponents

How it works:

It is the most commonly used Autolink angle in the game. Adjusts very precisely, accounting for the speed and direction the attacker is moving, and the position of the victim in relation to the move’s hitbox.

Normally works for arbitrarily high speeds, but has a (rather low) cap on how much downwards momentum it can apply to the victim, potentially causing it to fail in some cases (e.g Fox’s falling forward air).

Not properly coded for grounded opponents, instead if a move is instructed to use the angle 366 on an opponent on the ground, it acts as though it has an angle of roughly 85, and launches them with normal knockback physics (i.e it does not restrict their momentum, and as such for higher knockback values it can even launch an opponent up enough for a KO).

Good for:

Aerials, especially those that can tend to just barely hit opponents, or belong to fast moving characters (e.g in Yoshi’s Bair).

Bad for:

Use on grounded opponents, or moves that are usually used while falling quickly.

Nickname:

“The Bizarre One…”

Works on:

Grounded and aerial opponents

How it works:

Mostly similar to 366, except for a couple of frames it does not control the launch velocity of the victim, and only controls the angle they are launched at. After this, it reverts to the momentum the fighter would have had at that point had they been hit by a 366 autolink. Due to this, it is generally less effective at linking properly, but it grants it the ability to work normally on grounded opponents without having to resort to the primitive 365 angle. It also yields erratic results at high percents with moves that don’t use fixed knockback (e.g Lucas’ Nair).

Good for:

Hitting grounded opponents into the air similarly to how 366 would, for the remainder of the move to connect properly.

Bad for:

Anything else…

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll just mention that throughout my times doing Smash Wii U moveset hacks, I've only used the 367 Autolink Angle for King Dedede's Dedede Burst Final Smash. That specific Autolink Angle made it close to impossible for Dedede's victims to escape the Final Smash when it's assigned to the first two hammer swings. Of course, the fixed knockback value has to be high enough to prevent Dedede's victims from performing any evasive maneuvers.

As for the 366 Autolink Angle, I've always assigned it to hitboxes that can only affect aerial targets, while a different knockback angle is used for the ground targets; additionally, the Autolink hitboxes always dealt fixed knockback. However, during my moveset tests, I have spotted an anomaly with it while testing my changes to Falco's Fire Bird. It seems that when Falco's Fire Bird uses the 366 Autolink Angle for its hitboxes, some fighters can break free from the attack if Falco stays on the ground.

Top Bottom