• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
hey illmatic, do you enjoy smash4 much these days/now?

balance patches + mechanical engine changes
seemingly always being 90-95% right/good for the game.
yea, i was like super diehard stubborn **** SMASH4!1!11!@!! guy for like the last two or so months around march (after i gave it a shot for a gooood while with no real enjoyment). but after stepping away from it for a bit and just tuning in every now and then to see what's up, even i have to pretty much concede and say they got things RIGHT for sureeee. maybe not 100% there yet, but the game is heading in the proper direction regarding what i'd want to ideally see w/ shields, character balance (nerf on luigi, captain falcon, etc's grab stuff was an absolute godsend) and y'know just general stuff that we all know needed to happen

i've really gotta chalk one up to nintendo for being able to limit a character's strengths yet somehow through this... not completely killing said character off (moreso opening up weaker viable options). the entire feel of the game compares so differently in pace when put next to the vanilla release. i still don't understand getup attacks' ungodly power vs shields but lol honestly now that i think about it that's the ONLY thing that i actually don't enjoy (other than what they did to poor Marth lmaooo) plus the removal of DACUS, if they bring that back holy sh*T it could get hype fast. i super super super suuuuper am on the 2 stock boat because it makes the game feel way more quick and exciting when i catch a set on youtube or whatever (don't care about customs too much anymore, although i'd definitely advocate them if a select handful were banned)

i do plan to jump back into the scene sometime around november or late december and i'll be maining villager (not the traditional campy type, i'm interested in how Japan plays him/her), peach, ryu, zss and mario. i actually do wanna push peach's metagame further cause i think it can be done and big boss + slayerz are doing some cool things, i've just got a few ideas of my own to throw in the mix. i've got a whole new attitude on the game and just my competitive mindset in general. i'd legit want to work up to the top the way the game plays out now and it'd be pretty fun catching up with everyone as well, i love y'all

and because of that, COMMENTARY. that's 100% my go-to goal for smash 4 if i return. houston's got some REAL talent and obviously funny ass ****** lurking all over the map. i feel like collectively, if we brought that fire nation personality to the camera instead of y'know just traditional commentating how we've been doing (cuz nearly everyone is afraid to break out of their comfort zone and take that leap), our players, these HOUSTON SOCIAL BOARDS and tournaments could get wayyy WAYYYY more attention / hype than we already have. we're FUN, houston definitely needs a voice and i feel as though i've been around long enough to just straight up grab someone - head to the station and get things lit fast. i've commentated before w/ pretty good response (LOL EXCEPT FOR THAT ONE TOURNAMENT WITH PWII), but even then i feel like i was too calm. EE is a huge inspiration as well as a few other commentators within smash 4 right now, except i'd do it in my own way. have an entirely new outlook on how i'd encapsulate everything though while remaining professional and positive/exciting at the same time

i'm pretty freakin good @ melee now too, not like national level threat or anything but i feel like i could place top 5 at practically any texas local. so i might be doing that now and then whenever i've got the time. i love melee to death, and it's showing me now ways to approach or make reads even outside of the game itself.. like into smash 4 lol, but it'll never be a game i hold to my heart or have at my roots like brawl (and dare i say it, maybe even smash 4?) i'm too close to certain smash brawl-esque characters / mechanics displayed on screen as well as the community

Who did yall vote for on the Smash Ballot? It is closed now.
Lloyd Irving, Bayonetta, K. Rool, Shantae

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah, taking away certain power from moves have made characters more dynamic.
Most strong characters have remained strong characters throughout, and they also have relatively sane solutions to "obnoxious" character traits (taking away power from falcon bair/uair, luigi's kill set ups, diddy's throws/up air); yeah they might not have been top tier threats but who wants garbage/abusive crap in the game? I've wondered "why is Ness still the same?" throughout all this time, heck he even got small buffs along the way, but even with the silly up air (and back throw) he still scrapes by and has a hard time (really struggles to deal with shields imo) in a way that means that they probably don't need to get touched further either; and that Nintendo must be really aware of things.

I wonder if it's just Sakurai's weird perfection complex, he's actually been allowed to go nuts with it because of patches. There's just been too much "right" and when you compare that to how other patched games go it's kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:

z00ted

100% agree, it's also so interesting to see how they take certain characters like charizard or ike and transform them almost into a whole new playstyle. with the way things are going, every character has a real shot at being viable... there's next to no true "low-tier" characters when i watch (aside from samus, zelda or custom-less palutena). but i've actually got faith that they'll be improved to somewhat of a mid-level tournament threat

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
It is a tactic. Not a negative one either.

Almost all TOs want a standard like what EVO has, but again, not all players will go out and spend the money on the correct monitor when they can use mommy and daddy's tv....etc.

All we can really do is spread the link around and promote the reasoning behind the standard we are trying to set.
Which is why I like a Rock Band 2 standard. It eliminates the need to buy the "approved" monitors while it ensures that matches are as lag free as possible.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
RunCT (peach) is in GFs with Gyro (Rob) in Dallas right now. He beat ALSM and Denti 0_o

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I thought we confirmed peach being broken along with ZSS Ness Mario and some others during the whole debate of top 2 either being Diddy or Sheik the first couple patches lol

Teshie U

Smash Lord
If you guys missed it, definitely watch for the videos. He took out Denti 2-0 and then ALSM 3-1 only dropping a game when he SDed. He murdered everyone we expected to be a threat.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Peach is okay.

Tesh, I shall collect my amiibo back soon...

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You can change the future.

z00ted

Nice stuff proving how Peach can pull it off, RunCT.
It's been a good while since someone's fueled me enough to attempt and outplace them.

Also, you down to hit up Fl studio alongside me when I get back?

:190:

Last edited:

Xyro77

TGC RULE UPDATE

New WiiU pro controller section has been added to the rules. Please go to first post for more details.

smashboards.com/threads/dec-5-2015-official-tgc-event-5-1000-pot-bonus-wiifit-palutena-link-houston-tx.419208/

Xyro77

If you are riding with me to MLG or housing with me for MLG you really need to pay attention to this post. This is serious.

1. If you are gonna stay with me Thursday night or arrive at my house by 5:00am on Friday, please contact me as soon as you see this (even if you JUST talked to me) because i need to give you addresses and stuff.

2. Bring your Texas ID, MLG receipt, controller, underwear (never know when you might poop yourself), money, 3ds, iPod and parent/guardian form if you are under 18.

3. If you are staying with me in the hotel and you are NOT riding with me, please bring a pillow blanket for the hotel. We won't have enough. People who ride with me get the beds.

4. My house is nice and is clean. You can shower, sleep and eat here. I have an AC, full setup with DLC, 2 couches and a blow up bed, pillows and blankets for y'all. If you guys stink it up, disrespect the house or break anything, I will remove your head from your body and then burn your bloody carcass. Treat the house as gently as you would a baby.

4a. If you are sick, you will sleep outside with the beasts that roam da streetz.

77. We leave my house at 5:45am on Friday and should arrive at MLG by 12 or 1pm. I WILL leave at 5:45am. Don't be late.

896. If you have any questions, tag me or message me directly.

7. BYE BYE NERDS

RoboSquid98

Smash Rookie
NNID
LazerSaur98
3DS FC
0216-1041-1878
Hello everyone.. I am RoboSquid/1UP_Wonder. I'm new to the competitive community, in the sense of attending a tourney anyways. Besides that, I'd believe myself to be well-verse in the other aspects of competitive Smash. Now, I live in the DFW area, but I'll try and be as active as possible in the Houston Smash Bros. Community.

Simbada

Smash Rookie
Hello Houston Smashers. I'm currently seeking sparring/training partners around my area, which is around Fulton and Cavalcade, if you're available and wanting to aid each other improve then please message me.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Sunday tournaments...I don't...

D

Deleted member

Sunday tournaments are fine to me. I usually don't do anything on Sundays and get bored.

Zori

Smash Champion
Really considering genesis!!! Had a great time last time I went and really been wanting to go out of state

z00ted

why are lives called stocks in smash...
edit: found the answer

Notmiefault 3 points 8 months ago

Basically it's a way to shift the focus away from traditional violence. It's the same reason they use a percentage system instead of a health system. Calling it "lives" implies your character dies after each "KO" (which notice is called that instead of death); by calling it "stock" it instead simply suggests a resource is consumed.

sFooby 2 points 8 months ago

Exactly how I would have answered this. Its more or less to lessen the connection between life and death as we (humans) would view it. It's especially thoughtful of Nintendo seeing as the game is generally marketed towards a younger and more-sensitive-to-influence crowd.

Last edited:

Xyro77

z00ted

This is something you REALLY don't wanna miss because it is likely that you won't be able to experience this here in Tx again.
*listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XdjFNtra4Ywhile you read*

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTUALLY THE TRUE SAVIOR OF OUR PLANET IS THE FALCHION BLADE THAT WAS WIELDED BY THE LEGENDARY LEON S KENNEDY IN THE LIVE ACTION RPG "CALL OF TRASH: MODERN NERDFARE 3: N I G OPS" SO ANYWAYS THE FALCHION BLADE WAS FORGED IN THE FIRES OF BRINSTAR BUT COOLED IN THE WATERS OF NORFAIR MADE BY THE ELVEN REPTILIAN DWARF RACE THAT LIVE IN THE JUNGLES OF ANTARCTICA LOCATED IN THE DESERTS OF OHIO WHERE SANTI AND DOJO ONCE MADE RAZER DO VERY BAD THINGS TO THEM AS DUGFIN WROTE IT DOWN IN HER BED-SIDE DIARY BUT ALSO STILTZ READ IT AND WANTED A COPY SENT TO HIS EMAIL SO WE USED A FAX MACHINE TO SEND THE USB DRIVE OF THE STORY IN AUDIO FORM TO HIS YAHOOHOTMAIL ACCOUNT THIS LEAD TO THE VIETNAM WAR IN 1696 WHERE MR.FREEZE ATTACKED IRONMAN AT THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE ON TOP OF THE BERLIN WALL ALL THE WHILE XYRO77 AND BRUCE BANNER WERE WORKING ON CREATING THE SUPER NINTENDO (UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF MICROSOFT) TO BRING THE WORLDS FIRST SONY FIGHTING GAME CALLED MARVEL VS SUPER SMASH MORTAL STREET FIGHTER KOMBAT 4: VIRTUAL DEAD OR ALIVE TEKKEN TAG: KILLER INSTINCT EDITION WHICH ENDED UP SELLING ONLY 2 COPIES (ILLMATICS HOT MOM AND MYSELF BOUGHT A COPY SO WE COULD TRADE DIGIMON AND EVOLVE THEM INTO POKEMON) BECAUSE WE FORGOT TO ADVERTISE IT AKA LIKE ASCENSION 4 BUT THATS OLD NEWS BECAUSE HOBO IS BACK AND HE WANTS TO RUN A TOURNAMENT FOR THE GAME MENTIONED ABOVE SO WOULD YOU GO TO IT BECAUSE WE REALLY NEED YOUR SUPPORT AND IF PEOPLE LIKE YOU SUPPORT MR HOBO HE WILL DEF BE HAPPY AND MAYBE FIND A HOME INSTEAD OF LIVING IN THE STREETS WITH JIMBO SMOKIN BANANA PEELS F-ING GNES WRECKED SMASH FOR ME F THAT BICH AND F HIM FOR STEALING MY 12K DOLLARS AT MLG DALLAS I HAD THAT IN THE BAG BUT HE CHEATED KINDA LIKE HOW THAT WHORRE AMANDA CHEATED ON ME MAN I HOPE SHE DIES A PAINFUL DEATH CAUSE NO SHE-MALE SHOULD EVER TREAT HER LOVER LIKE THAT I GUESS THATS WHY PEOPLE LIKE TRELA ARE ALWAYS SINGLE CAUSE HE KNOWS THAT GIRLS ARE THE DEVIL AND THE DEVIL IS REAL CAUSE WE TALK OVER SKYPE ALL THE TIME HE SOMETIMES TELLS ME HE IS GONNA MEET ME VERY SOON AND ASKED WHERE WE SHOULD MEET BUT I TELL HIM I LIVE AT SYNCS HOUSE BUT FOR SOME REASON WHEN I GO TO SYNCS HOUSE I GET THE URGE TO PLAY SMASH SO THIS GUY NAMED ZERO77 WANTS TO KNOW IF HE COULD PLAY SMASH AT SYNCS HOUSE CAUSE BACK IN WORLD WAR 2 WHEN CAPTAIN AMERICA PARACHUTED INTO THE HOUSTON GALLERIA FOR A BLACK FRIDAY SALE ON COACH PURSES HE TOLD PRESIDENT BROCK OPAMA THE GYM LEADER FROM CINNAMONBARZ ISLAND THAT THE COOLEST PLACE TO PLAY SMASH IS AT A NEAR BY SEX SALOON AND SINCE I WAS ALIVE IN 1987 I GOT TO MEET HIM AND I JUST NOW REMEMBERED THE SEX SALOON HAD SMOOM BOOMIN TO P4's PEE HOLE SO I HAD TO ATTEND IN ORDER TO HAVE A BOOTY BUSTIN TIME WITH BATMAN YOU KNOW WHAT IM SAYING SNOOP DAWGY ARF ARF?

Top Bottom