• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
MLG announced Smash 4 for October event. You Smash fiends should go, the Brawl one was a good experience overall. But may your colon find mercy if you get only Hot Pockets and Dr. Pepper...

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
that video is terrifying
Jesus that vid. Never realized all that about Samus.
Everything in that vid is stuff I've cried about since day one. She is worse than Brawl Samus.

MLG announced Smash 4 for October event. You Smash fiends should go, the Brawl one was a good experience overall. But may your colon find mercy if you get only Hot Pockets and Dr. Pepper...
I'd love to go.

To this day, MLG has been the best tournament experience I've ever had.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Everything in that vid is stuff I've cried about since day one. She is worse than Brawl Samus.

I'd love to go.

To this day, MLG has been the best tournament experience I've ever had.
I'd love to go too. We (probably) need to act fast because of the cap though. And coordinate travelling/booking/hotelling etc.
So far all I know of that's interested is Trela and Gamma if he can get off work

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Work won't let me have off that friday. I could get there early early saturday morning, but I doubt I can compete in the tournament. I should be able to still go. Not 100% confirmed yet.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I would go, but it was announced way too late for my work. A shame...

Anyone who can go should go. It's a fun experience no matter what. It'll certainly attract big names.

Xyro77

I bought my MLG 2015 pass. Unless absolute garbage rules are announced (customs legal or Samus banned) or a personal emergency happens, I am 100% confirmed for going to MLG 2015.

I will buy a hotel room for Friday-Sunday aka Oct 16-18th tomorrow or tonight.

I will be driving to MLG and I can take 4 people. I will not charge you a hotel fee but I will charge you gas. If you are interested, buy your MLG pass and send me a pic of it. This confirms your spot.

Edit: please buy your tickets early because the event is capped at 256. http://mlg.to/1KRRPzT

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I bought my MLG 2015 pass. Unless absolute garbage rules are announced (customs legal or Samus banned) or a personal emergency happens, I am 100% confirmed for going to MLG 2015.

I will buy a hotel room for Friday-Sunday aka Oct 16-18th tomorrow or tonight.

I will be driving to MLG and I can take 4 people. I will not charge you a hotel fee but I will charge you gas. If you are interested, buy your MLG pass and send me a pic of it. This confirms your spot.

Edit: please buy your tickets early because the event is capped at 256. http://mlg.to/1KRRPzT
I'm interested, once I buy my ticket I'll send you a picture Xyro

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro with that generous offer...you guys should buy him food the whole trip too, lol.

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
Yo Xyro lmk if you have room for hotel. What is so good about the MLG experience?

Xyro77

What is so good about the MLG experience?
MLG Dallas Championships of 2010 was my first MLG experience. Hands down the best tournament experience of my life.

1. MLG rents out an entire hotel. Not just any hotel but some of the best hotels a state can offer. One with a conference room the size of a football field.

2. Halo, Call Of Trash, Dota, StarCraft, Smash and more are held and each game has obscene amount of players. It is the one time where PC and Console come together to form TRUE professional eSports. Each game has its own unique stage, crazy lighting, music blasting, streaming set-up (top notch btw) and referees (more on them later).

3. While walking around in the conference room, sponsors like Dr.Pepper, Hot Pockets, RedBull, Bic, Doritos and more are giving away free stuff all weekend long. I literally watched human beings eat 5-6 times a day and their diet consisted only of Dr.Pepper and Ham&Cheese Hot Pockets. The hotel toilets never knew what hit em'. It was glorious.

4. Booth Babes are around to tell you about the sponsors and are will to give you free stuff and take pictures with you. Mascots walk around and hype **** up.

5. Security. You are scanned by a metal detector machine and are wand-ed before you walk in. The environment is safer than any event i have held or attended. You just feel at ease and safe. It is hard to describe.

6. As for TO-ing. The event in ran in "heats" or "waves." There are no pools and there is no seeding. When your heat has been called you literally have 3min to get to your tv and if you are not in your seat, the referee DQs you without remorse and the set-up is empty until the next heat. MLG literally runs by timers. Every minute is accounted for because they have 2-3 days to eliminate and crown a few champions out of thousands of players all the while keeping media/sponsors happy. The event is ran very solidly and smooth. No delay. No problems. No johns.

6a. Referees (usually volunteers) have an interesting job. They stand next to each set-up and never leave. They tell you when to start, when to stop, explain any/all rules and wish to know what characters you use, on what stages and how long each match went on. By doing this, they collect data. The data collected is beautiful and a really nice insight as to how players play smash. Here is the very cool data from the MLG 2010 Dallas Championships that i attended: http://smashboards.com/threads/mlg-brawl-2010-matchslip-statistics-and-analysis.304174/

6b. A bit off topic but the data above REALLY puts into perspective my views of Brawl/Smash 4/Metaknight and the Smash 4 newgen behavior that was adopted from the late Brawl era. Looking at this data now truly makes me think that i am a literal prophet of smash.

7. Anyways, the rest of what i want to tell you is hard because it is only understood if you EXPERIENCE the event. I highly recommend you go. You will never regret it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Does Oni Con usually have a game room? aka people playing stuff like Smash, fighting games, etc.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Does anyone have anymore information on MLG? If it'll have doubles included and what the ruleset will be more specifically.

Xyro77

Does anyone have anymore information on MLG? If it'll have doubles included and what the ruleset will be more specifically.
Usually, doubles doesn't happen UNLESS community voice is loud. So count doubles out.

Rules have not been decided but expect something bad like Apex but not as bad as EVO.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Usually, doubles doesn't happen UNLESS community voice is loud. So count doubles out.

Rules have not been decided but expect something bad like Apex but not as bad as EVO.
Hey Xyro check fb when you can :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll whine until it's 2-stocks 6min, customs ON, FD, BF, and SV only.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe

Wasn't there doubles at MLG Dallas for Brawl? Did the community have to make an argument for them to incorporate it or had they already decided it? Read your points though. You still think it's worth the experience if it tends to have a horrible ruleset? Haven't been to New Orleans before. I'm sure there's a lot of interesting things to do on that side too. Thanks though for the insight.

How many people are going to Absolute Battle? It does look tempting, plus Dallas was a lot of the fun the area that my wife and I stayed in. I'm guessing it's the same venue LTC was hosted at. But school ayyy. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Community cries got us 2vs2 at MLG 2010. Mainly because we had 2-3 smashers who were MLG workers and they spoke for us

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just wait until those same workers ask for what I said.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, time for a refund.

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Xyro, have you booked a hotel yet? I went ahead and bought a pass for MLG, but all the hotels in the immediate area seem to really pricey. I see some motels that a lot more reasonably priced, but was wondering if you know of a better place.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just house with Xyro in his room. I'm sure he has a million war stories to tell from Melee-Smash 4. Like...fug.

Last edited:

Kihrah

Smash Apprentice
Had great sets with jbandrew at ARFI tonight, he played great. I think the games were entertaining as well

Last edited:

Xyro77

Xyro, have you booked a hotel yet? I went ahead and bought a pass for MLG, but all the hotels in the immediate area seem to really pricey. I see some motels that a lot more reasonably priced, but was wondering if you know of a better place.
I'm gonna get something soon. I'm super busy today.

Top Bottom