• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It doesn't matter. Your game can be easy to play and be deep at the same time. Sacrificing one for the other is dumb, especially when your past games did a good job of balancing the two. To go all out and sabotage the third game just because of muh casuals is dumb. I get it's his game, but come on now.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Then I guess CoD series is the greatest game series in the world.

That's your world Espy. Do you enjoy it?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I enjoyed melee as a kid.

I also enjoyed sonic heroes, but both of those games have terrible controls.

The super casuals just wanna see if link can beat mario by throwing pokeballs at him, but there are definitely alot of people that would also appreciate the game not feeling like you are threading a needle while walking a tightrope all the time.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Imagine thinking every game should be like Melee.

Each game has a new base to appeal to.

Each game has new devs with new positions associated with it.

Each game has a new mission.

Simbada

Smash Rookie
One of the only things interesting about Melee is the high leveled play where tech skill no longer becomes an issue; where both players read each other instead and flawlessly annihilate the other when they get their opening.

While in smash 4 (and brawl...) that tech skill curb is skipped and the game necessarily becomes more read based, with the usual addition of spacing, balanced combos, etc.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I agree, Luigi is a very read-based character that requires great spacing and has balanced combos. He is proof that Smash 4 is a great game. Suck it, Melee.

Last edited:

Curlz

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just here to introduce myself. Some of you may k ow me, but for those that don't, I am Curlz from Louisiana. I just moved to Houston this week and I'm looking to get into the Smash scene around here. I started out with Brawl, but I now only [generally] play Melee and Sm4sh. I plan on going to TGC this Saturday and I'm also planning on going to the Sm4sh bi-weekly happening at Games+ next Friday. I hope to see you all around soon. Let me know if yall have any other events or gatherings planned in the near future. Thanks!

Xyro77

Hey guys, just here to introduce myself. Some of you may k ow me, but for those that don't, I am Curlz from Louisiana. I just moved to Houston this week and I'm looking to get into the Smash scene around here. I started out with Brawl, but I now only [generally] play Melee and Sm4sh. I plan on going to TGC this Saturday and I'm also planning on going to the Sm4sh bi-weekly happening at Games+ next Friday. I hope to see you all around soon. Let me know if yall have any other events or gatherings planned in the near future. Thanks!

I remember you, man! You went to a few HOBOs didn't you?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Another potential sacrifice for the vortex.

Xyro77

One of the only things interesting about Melee is the high leveled play where tech skill no longer becomes an issue; where both players read each other instead and flawlessly annihilate the other when they get their opening.

While in smash 4 (and brawl...) that tech skill curb is skipped and the game necessarily becomes more read based, with the usual addition of spacing, balanced combos, etc.
At the level of play that you describe, tech skill is 2ndary because it has already been mastered. You are no longer a casual or mid level player. You are elite. Near flawless tech is mandatory. This is a barrier for newer players and casuals.

Brawl and Smash 4 lack even medium levels of tech skill. The games (especially smash 4) are very flow chart-ish and thus cancelling out long term growth for a majority of the cast. This is bad for the mega elite try-hard nerds but great for casual and mid level players.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nah, Smash 4 is the best game in the series. It'll sell the most, this determines how good a game is.

Curlz

Smash Lord
There's quite a few people who go to the insomnia bi-weekly tournaments.

And welcome to the scene :)
Thank you! Would you be able to send me some info on the insomnia bi-weeklies please?

Edit: is that the info for it in the OP?

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
At the level of play that you describe, tech skill is 2ndary because it has already been mastered. You are no longer a casual or mid level player. You are elite. Near flawless tech is mandatory. This is a barrier for newer players and casuals.

Brawl and Smash 4 lack even medium levels of tech skill. The games (especially smash 4) are very flow chart-ish and thus cancelling out long term growth for a majority of the cast. This is bad for the mega elite try-hard nerds but great for casual and mid level players.
Melee is technical partially due to bad controls. Imagine if Shaq Fu has an elitist competitive base that was proud of mastering that poorly programmed mess.

Smash 4/ Brawl has many of the same problems Melee has competitvely. Its a party game and when you try to force it in a serious 1v1 setting some of the stuff is just unfair and unbalanced. The technical barrier in Melee just makes it less likely someone will learn how to do something "lame" for the sake of counterpicking. Lame stuff being technical will make it more enjoyable at a mid level, but when the best players get down and dirty, it doesn't make any of it more entertaining at all.

I appreciate it far more when a game is technical for logical reason and basically let you do dozens of basic things at your own pace. Like Brawl Metaknight/Peach and Starcraft. Beginners do it slowly and the pros are lightning fast, but they are using the same inputs and the inputs themselves are as basic as possible.

Melee has a tech skill barrier, where the ideas in your mind aren't remotely relevant until you have trained your fingers to control your character, but I fear Smash 4 has a tech skill ceiling (and its quite low), where the game doesn't accurate keep up with any sort of clever thinking, often punishing you for doing something above basic.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Each smash game has tech skill, and character development, look at top players now and when the game first came out, (which hasn't even been a year yet). Brawl and 4 is more about character development than tech skill. Melee has a good mix of both, which is why its been relevant for so long. I feel like smash 4 picked up where brawl left off, but just put it in a slightly better direction

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace

Whats good playa's. I wanted to stop by and let everyone know the upcoming TGC schedule so you can take off work to make it to these events. For the 2016 National Event I have the hotel already and contracts, all I have to do is sign contracts and get a few things ironed out with streamers and other things and we are good to go. Will give more information on that soon. Im looking forward to seeing TGC and the scene continue to grow and will give you all an update on when the TGC app is ready to download. In the meantime join the official Texas Gaming Championships Facebook group to keep updated with exclusive information about TGC and announcements at www.facebook.com/groups/TexasGamingChampionships

(Mark your calendars for these TGC dates)

TGC 5 - Oct 17, 2015 at To Be Announced
TGC 6 - Dec 5, 2015 at To Be Announced
TGC 7 - Feb ?, 2016 at To Be Announced
TGC 8 - Apr ?, 2016 at To Be Announced
TGC 9 - June ?, 2016 at To Be Announced
National Event - 2016 Date and information will be announced soon!
TGC 10 - Dec ?, 2016 at To Be Announced

Simbada

Smash Rookie
Melee is technical partially due to bad controls. Imagine if Shaq Fu has an elitist competitive base that was proud of mastering that poorly programmed mess.

Smash 4/ Brawl has many of the same problems Melee has competitvely. Its a party game and when you try to force it in a serious 1v1 setting some of the stuff is just unfair and unbalanced. The technical barrier in Melee just makes it less likely someone will learn how to do something "lame" for the sake of counterpicking. Lame stuff being technical will make it more enjoyable at a mid level, but when the best players get down and dirty, it doesn't make any of it more entertaining at all.
Melee has a tech skill barrier, where the ideas in your mind aren't remotely relevant until you have trained your fingers to control your character, but I fear Smash 4 has a tech skill ceiling (and its quite low), where the game doesn't accurate keep up with any sort of clever thinking, often punishing you for doing something above basic.
So you're right about melee being a party game... well they're all party games. But I'm sure that when Brawl and Sm4sh came out when Sakurai knew that his games were going to be taken competitively but he still wanted to open up the game for these "casuals" or people that don't really have to practices hours of tech skilll. But just as with any game they have exploits, so it's not really the same mentality as melee in mind but lack of competent testers. I.E. m2k. And Sm4sh is trying to compensate for exploits by including patches every few months which is pretty justifiable but some of the actions in the patches aren't justifiable. (Thanks Sakurai for buffing Luigi, we needed that)

And you're right about best players in melee when getting down aren't fun to watch. Because, of course, only mid level players in melee have the ability to let a combo go to earlier allowing the other to bring it back up. Which is what has to happen sometimes to make their game enjoyable. And it's also boring seeing a game played at maximum level. So you're right. Yup.

And "but I fear Smash 4 has a tech skill ceiling (and its quite low), where the game doesn't accurate keep up with any sort of clever thinking, often punishing you for doing something above basic." I don't even understand the logic/fear here.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
He's basically saying that Smash 4 heavily rewards flowcharting. Why try to make a read on someone when it's usually easier AND better to walk up shield or roll...these usually end up being the best options 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I didn't say Melee isn't fun to watch. I said when someone is laming out some exploit, its just as boring in brawl/smash 4 as it is in Melee. Basically general single player gameplans like planking and chaingrabs.

Xyro77

People are reporting website issues in regards to getting venue passes for TGC.

Here is the fix: Don't worry about using the TGC website. Just show up to the TGC venue on Saturday and pay for your venue pass in person.

We have plenty of passes. You will not be turned away (assuming you show up on time).

Curlz

Smash Lord
So I just got a copy of Melee and a memory card. Would anyone be willing to meet up sometime today so I can transfer saves onto my memory card so I can get back to playing some Melee? :)
We could play some friendlies too. I also am down to play Sm4sh if anyone wants to.

Top Bottom