• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's all about time management and limiting how much you play as needed. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to all the weeklies or tournaments. I practice a few hours a day for a week before a big tourney and that's enough for me. I hardly play outside this specific timeframe nowadays. I choose not to go to the weeklies or other small tourneys unless I really want to.

It's all about self-control and moderation.

Last edited:

AtDank

Smash Rookie
NNID
NinjaGnomie
3DS FC
4570-7718-6176
I definitely prefer all the weeklies being available, since I can't always make them due to the fact that they're all quite a bit of a drive, and that I can bring different friends with to different events due to schedule conflicts, so I dunno. I know thats a situational perspective, though.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
Experience trumps logic
Or it narrows your field of view.

I am a new gen. I am not a "die hard." I was inundated with the volume of smash events at the beginning of the year. The issue became clear when I had 6 events in 1 week. I decided to limit myself to 1 weekly and 1 weekend event on any given week.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Or it narrows your field of view.
It doesn't narrow anything. It educates me on how things REALLY are. If you have TO-ed for 11 years you would understand why I make comments like this. People, as a whole, are not responsible, do not think ahead and are selfish.

I am a new gen. I am not a "die hard." I was inundated with the volume of smash events at the beginning of the year. The issue became clear when I had 6 events in 1 week. I decided to limit myself to 1 weekly and 1 weekend event on any given week.
Even a desert gets rain sometimes.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I admire the nativity and optimism but you will understand one day once you experience more.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Were they aware of zair back then?

Xyro77

Zair is eternal. I think the Chinese were the first to discover it's uses.

Edit: Wtf nativity? iPhone....

Last edited:

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
Curious anything gonna happen for splatoon when that comes out? Or if thats already addressed cliff notes work too.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, a good number of people will get Splatoon. Some people have already formed crews, others might just be roving lone wolves. It remains to be seen if the game turns out to be a hit or utter poop.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
its my understanding that you can't party up until the august patch though.

On the subject of weeklies, Xyro is walmart/high end pizza or whatever you want to call it.

Of course he doesn't want you hitting up the cici's or the CVS thats located more conveniently for you. He wants you to starve so when its time for him to open up shop, you will be fiending for that next fix.

I'm sure Xyro doesn't see it this way in his mind, but the scene being large and "active" is proven more by these weeklies than by 200+ person bi-monthlies.

No need to sacrifice everything else to stroke your ego.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Lol. Deekay DESTROYED Xyro.

On a more serious note Xyro, I think in some ways weeklies introduce new players into the scene. These weeklies have new talent every week from players who are surprisingly good. I played a Dedede at the last one (I think his tag was ICE?) and he said it was his first tourney. He was also surprisingly good, taking me to game 3 and almost beating me. I'm sure he wouldn't have made TGC his first event, he was super nervous just going to the weekly.

Yes, some players who don't have the commitment to keep playing the game will burn out quicker, but so what? They figured out they no longer want to play the game and saved a whole lot of time coming to this conclusion.

As for what killed the Brawl scene event numbers, I don't think that weeklies did that. I think increasingly campy metagame, low character diversity (cough Metaknight Ice Climbers), and the fact that it was just getting old killed Brawl. Melee seems to still be going strong, I know Katy/UH/Woodlands have gatherings every week that get 10-20 people (which isn't bad for an ancient game).

Last edited:

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
My first event I beat some guy who was number 10 on the earliest tier list we had
He no longer goes to events

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Hey Guys, Is anyone here Doing a Carpool To CEO in June? after some thought, im most likely attending now. im just seeing my various options before i start reserving things. Hopefully im Decent enough to enter KI as well, After seeing the event at Texas Showdown, i REALLY want to get into it!! oh and will TGC 3 have KI?? I am confirmed for that day :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Register for Comicpalooza and reserve your spots, you lazy bums.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
How was the inside of the iron man suit KJ? What happens when you go to the bathroom?

On the point of weeklies vs whatever. My perspective is that smash, like any good hobby should be something you're keen to do something for once a week or more (think sports clubs in highschool or whatever [or any other hobby, these things require commitment]). The tournament environment and atmosphere is likely not what's best for the casual/low level players and for most players in general, a person's perception of tournaments as a casual is kinda crazy (at least around here in Aus, it's a lot worse than in the US; it's quite hard), university clubs running smash get just as much people showing up EVERY week as our tournaments do.

Sydney has practically had weekly events for at least 2-3 months now. It's actually crazy to contrast between pre-smash 4 or any of the high days of Brawl where things happening every 3 weeks was a pretty heated pace but rarely maintained. However, now in 2015, every tournament we've had gets less numbers we'd hope for, and it's fair, going to something every week is more smash than most people want or need. But when casual things bolster growing numbers at such a pace while tournaments seem to get weaker it's hard to know what's the best course of action.

Would/will expand more. But I guess congregations of Smash in a fun environment is required to keep a scene going/strong, tournaments are the only thing we offer the community when they aren't explicitly what people want (our "suppliers" have chosen to interpret the bolstered interest as more reason to run tournaments).

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Falcon slides forward when he fsmashes. Many characters shift positions when they use an attack. Some fsmashes have characters lean back then lean forward, some usmashes put characters in a crouch state or off the ground, some dash attacks put the attacker off the ground. This game has some very precise hurtboxes on many moves.

Top Bottom