• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Yeah, nerf is definitely real. After playing Link tonight and there being multiple opportunities where I could've just jab smashed to end a stock, it makes me sad. Link getting the shaft in a smash game is nothing new honestly and I've accepted it, but I really thought he had a chance to do some work. He's somewhat comparable to his Brawl self now and while the mobility and bomb buffs are nice, they just aren't enough to make him good. Jab cancelling was a very big deal to his metagame and is no longer there.

It also sucks to put work into a character for 6 months and have one of his key component stripped out like that. Sure if it was Diddy, that makes sense because he definitely need the nerf, but not Link. I'll definitely try out some of the characters you guys have mentioned, but so far I'm really liking Greninja. Toon Link doesn't really fit my playstyle at all surprising I don't like to sit back in a corner, spam projectiles, and back throw people when they're weak. I didn't do that with Link because I had much better melee options with him. It will take time, but I will eventually catch up with you guys, but I'm definitely weaker than I was before.

It's customs though so don't get happy just yet
Where are you getting customs from? Its supposed to be TGC ruleset in fact.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Yea, the Megaman nerfs are rough too. Uptilt being stronger really hurts my combo game. He also can't pellet to downsmash anymore so killing is tough.

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Yea, the Megaman nerfs are rough too. Uptilt being stronger really hurts my combo game. He also can't pellet to downsmash anymore so killing is tough.

But yeah, building that early % is tough for Link, which isn't as hard for Megaman to do, so I don't think that's comparable. Now Link has trouble building % and killing.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Megaman doesn't really build damage that well. He doesn't really have reliable combos.

He sure is annoying though.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
They tried so hard to make jump n shootin' feel like actual Megaman, and it totally does, until you shoot 3 and then he has to derp around like not Megaman for a little bit.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Yeah, nerf is definitely real. After playing Link tonight and there being multiple opportunities where I could've just jab smashed to end a stock, it makes me sad. Link getting the shaft in a smash game is nothing new honestly and I've accepted it, but I really thought he had a chance to do some work. He's somewhat comparable to his Brawl self now and while the mobility and bomb buffs are nice, they just aren't enough to make him good. Jab cancelling was a very big deal to his metagame and is no longer there.

It also sucks to put work into a character for 6 months and have one of his key component stripped out like that. Sure if it was Diddy, that makes sense because he definitely need the nerf, but not Link. I'll definitely try out some of the characters you guys have mentioned, but so far I'm really liking Greninja. Toon Link doesn't really fit my playstyle at all surprising I don't like to sit back in a corner, spam projectiles, and back throw people when they're weak. I didn't do that with Link because I had much better melee options with him. It will take time, but I will eventually catch up with you guys, but I'm definitely weaker than I was before.

Where are you getting customs from? Its supposed to be TGC ruleset in fact.
His jab functions as it was intended to now-a quick "gtfo" move and stuffs moves at close range.

Losing a guaranteed kill setup does make Link a bit worse then before, but it's going to make you a better player in the long run of you stick with him--you'll have to focus on reading your opponent more and getting kills off reads then trying to go for guaranteed kill set-ups.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Link was mid tier because of harder-to-punish spam and his jab-to-kill move. Jab-to-kill is gone. Like is not "good" anymore.

I agree you shouldn't leave the character you like but if you put winning over personally Link goals, then yeah, switch. Greninja isn't link but he's much better.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
That Katy Tourney was Pretty Tight! I Should of just used diddy against Will but i kinda underestimated him! BigBoss is getting better and better :) i love seeing the smash community grow and seeing more and more new faces appear!

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
His jab functions as it was intended to now-a quick "gtfo" move and stuffs moves at close range.

Losing a guaranteed kill setup does make Link a bit worse then before, but it's going to make you a better player in the long run of you stick with him--you'll have to focus on reading your opponent more and getting kills off reads then trying to go for guaranteed kill set-ups.
In my opinion, it makes him a lot worse. Link has no fast ground moves (jab is frame 7, pretty slow jab, and utilt is second at 8 frames). Yes, he can use jab as a gtfo move, but essentially he's forced to just keep the opponent away all match and spam projectiles, hopefully getting a read and nailing one of his slow smashes/tilts. I also liked the fact that you could poke with jab 1 and get away without being punished, now I have to commit to two jab instead of one. No godly zair to make up for it like in Brawl and now he's completely inferior to Toon Link. He actually had jab 1 to smash in Brawl as well (not as good but still worked). This makes me very sad.

I could definitely work on my smash fundamentals to make up for my character's flaws, but I'm starting to wonder if its even worth it personally. The reason I actually got serious about this Smash game competitively was because Link was actually a viable character, and now that he's not I think it's time to move on. I probably won't enter tournaments at this point. I'm still gonna show up to some events/Sync's house to play friendlies and hang out, but I'm done wasting my money and time trying to get good at this game. Sorry about taking this off topic for a bit, I'm not gonna bring this up anymore.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Sucks to here that Knife, but you do what you gotta do.

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
You aren't wrong for wanting to just quit. It sucks man. I hate traveling, paying, and simply losing all the time. I play a mediocre character but I accept it, so really it's all on me. If I want to win, I'm doing it wrong. I'm pretty **** as a competitive player.

BUT

The key motivation for me honestly, is everyone else. Like when I walk into Xyro's tournaments and I see all these people, it's exciting. I remember playing GNES in brawl and taking him to Brinstar. I was so happy that I took just ONE life from him. Or when @Ozz. actually spoke to me and said "You have a good DK", I about fainted. The time @ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer never played Wifi with me >:(

Even the few times where we teamed up Knife, those were awesome. Heck, my new friend @Bonren is probably one the coolest people I've met. Like, I would have a huge chunk of what makes me, me, missing without you guys.

So, anyways. Playing the game at least for me competitively, is looking at it wrong. When I remember to step back and look at everything/everyone else involved, I realize how great it truly is. I just say this because I don't want to see you less at tournaments. It's alot of fun having you and everyone else there.

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
You aren't wrong for wanting to just quit. It sucks man. I hate traveling, paying, and simply losing all the time. I play a mediocre character but I accept it, so really it's all on me. If I want to win, I'm doing it wrong. I'm pretty **** as a competitive player.

BUT

The key motivation for me honestly, is everyone else. Like when I walk into Xyro's tournaments and I see all these people, it's exciting. I remember playing GNES in brawl and taking him to Brinstar. I was so happy that I took just ONE life from him. Or when @Ozz. actually spoke to me and said "You have a good DK", I about fainted. The time @ UltimateRazer UltimateRazer never played Wifi with me >:(

Even the few times where we teamed up Knife, those were awesome. Heck, my new friend @Bonren is probably one the coolest people I've met. Like, I would have a huge chunk of what makes me, me, missing without you guys.

So, anyways. Playing the game at least for me competitively, is looking at it wrong. When I remember to step back and look at everything/everyone else involved, I realize how great it truly is. I just say this because I don't want to see you less at tournaments. It's alot of fun having you and everyone else there.
*Krebs rapping coincidentally does not get mentioned* :cry:

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, it makes him a lot worse. Link has no fast ground moves (jab is frame 7, pretty slow jab, and utilt is second at 8 frames). Yes, he can use jab as a gtfo move, but essentially he's forced to just keep the opponent away all match and spam projectiles, hopefully getting a read and nailing one of his slow smashes/tilts. I also liked the fact that you could poke with jab 1 and get away without being punished, now I have to commit to two jab instead of one. No godly zair to make up for it like in Brawl and now he's completely inferior to Toon Link. He actually had jab 1 to smash in Brawl as well (not as good but still worked). This makes me very sad.

I could definitely work on my smash fundamentals to make up for my character's flaws, but I'm starting to wonder if its even worth it personally. The reason I actually got serious about this Smash game competitively was because Link was actually a viable character, and now that he's not I think it's time to move on. I probably won't enter tournaments at this point. I'm still gonna show up to some events/Sync's house to play friendlies and hang out, but I'm done wasting my money and time trying to get good at this game. Sorry about taking this off topic for a bit, I'm not gonna bring this up anymore.
Glad to hear you're at least gonna stick around.

I faced the same dilemma for a while with my characters. I was constantly getting 3 stocked by diddy and other high class characters.

I pretty much decided to drop singles entirely, i'm sure everyone noticed. But then I saw more and more potential with the characters I enjoyed so I stuck around singles every now and then. With customs legal events every so often I am definitely here to stay. The characters I enjoy playing are not only viable, but national-winnng level good.

But to stop myself from veering off topic. You should DEFINITELY stick around for doubles, and I bet with a little time you can find a new character you really enjoy. Same thing happened to me.

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583

BUT

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
No, he's a washed up Melee vet.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

Link is the only character of the 50+ you enjoy using? There may be another hidden out there that you might enjoy...

And Link was always meant to play the keep away game, that's why he has 3 projectiles. Keep people out/force them to approach with projectiles, then punish their attempts at getting in. Dtilt is pretty safe on shield, couldn't you replace jab with that? He still hits like a truck, and with rage he's even more scary. I know it'll be hard changing 6+ months of gameplay habits, but it can be done Knife, it can be done.

Link losing his kill-setup and isn't the end of the world...I understand you not wanting to enter tournaments until you figure out how to adapt to the new changes, but please don't make it permanent--we enjoy having you here. Heck I'll even help you find your way again with Link, and use him in tournament too to show you he's still usable if need be.

And as Krebs mentioned, there's always doubles!!

TL:DR...don't give up hope yet Knife

Grapevine

Smash Rookie
NNID
ButtOut
Just curious, why are customs banned? I don't really care either way, but I'm wondering why if that's the EVO standard. Did Jank/Windboxes win a tourney or something?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Various reasons exist, depending on who you ask.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I came from the future. This is what Xyro says:

"I don't support no skill, low IQ customs at my tournament. Watchdogs is the best."

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I came from the future. This is what Xyro says:

"I don't support no skill, low IQ customs at my tournament. Watchdogs is the best."
Lose points for forgetting to mention the following:

-New gens
-being best TO
-gloat about MK banned tourneys including Hobo 12
-people being selfish

C+, apply yourself.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
This thread is almost like fox news level entertainment.

Sean Hannity aka Xyro with his pseudo logic and hate for mainstream media (TOs)
RT and his constant mentioning of Benghazi(Hobo12)
Grim is like Kelly. He's not too bad but some of Hannitys poor logic is influencing him.
Tesh doing his perfect Newt Gingrich by always pointing out obvious negatives in statements, but never offering helpful alternatives.
And Onion is basically just Greta. Because I find both utterly unbearable.
Lmfaoooo this was a really good post. Hannity + Kelly = OP. You forgot who's O'Riley tho. Maybe RT? Nah, too docile.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
What an ***hole. Never helping him with Amiibos again.
Lies.

Also, I felt to sick yesterday that I turned in early at 1. Preorders for Walmart went up at 2 am. The amiibo abyss has literally made me ill that I couldn't go on. Now the cycle is leaving me salty and want another chance with Amazon.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I can turn on the ***hole machine if you want, but no one needs to see dark RT...

The abyss grows. You've given up mind and body, now submit your soul.

Top Bottom