• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
yo. im from austin and i went to aftershock. unfortunately didn't get to play whispy.

tournament itself had issues, but the people i met and the friendly matches we ran were really fun. really would have liked to play more houston people.

i know from reading this thread that overall houston (or at least most of the people that post in this thread from houston) are really against 2 stock and customs. but if that is going to stop you guys from going out to other regions i think that's a bad thing because newer players on the tournament scene don't get to meet you guys as houston reps. i've met xyro way back when at MLG dallas or something, we ran a samus ditto, it was fun.

thanks for reading,
diddy kong player #3

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
@ D DelxDoom

If they want us then they should rise up and take back their city from bad rules. Or they could meet us in Houston/San Antonio where children live happy custom free lives full of 3 stocks.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If mewtwo patch has no updates and another vanilla diddy wins another customs on tournament (EVO), showing the jankiest of jank can't stop Diddy, I wouldn't mind a ban in a few months instead of having to wait for a year of results with top 8/6 filled with Diddy :3

Last edited:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Zero is so far the best player in the US in Smash. If he wasn't there a Rosalina would've won. I still hope for some kind of patch on Diddy.

Trela

Smash Lord
It's funny how we view Mewtwo, a Pokemon who once sought out world domination and destruction, as the savior of Smash 4.

Hopefully we get his release date sometime this week.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The problem with the Zero argument everyone throws around everywhere on social media and snoreboreds is that, even if he's a spectacular player using a broken character, it doesn't change the possibility of "what if everyone else was spectacular at X character" in this example Diddy/MK, he'd warrant a ban even more.
Thankfully, people aren't at his level but still use Diddy/MK anyways while winning everything or getting close to the prize while other better Diddy players get it.

At the end of the day, when you look at the results. Diddy is winning still.
Believe it or not people have tried to flaunt around miisword fighter is actually some counter to the top tiers solely cause Trela won with the character, not even that he's an amazing player, they just look at the end result at the end of the day without seeing who he played against or if he even played against the city/states best to get that first placing.

That aside, I getting mewtwo for freeeeeeeeeeeeeee
and I didn't even have the 3ds version of smashhhhhhh

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
It's not that he is our "savior"

It's that he is an excuse to hold on a few more months in hopes diddy can be countered or an excuse to build an even better case to ban diddy.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
33% hope Mewtwo is the savior
33% hope there's a patch within the Mewtwo addition, already given up kinda knowing that not even Mewtwo can save us
33% have already accepted love is over

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
yo. im from austin and i went to aftershock. unfortunately didn't get to play whispy.

tournament itself had issues, but the people i met and the friendly matches we ran were really fun. really would have liked to play more houston people.

i know from reading this thread that overall houston (or at least most of the people that post in this thread from houston) are really against 2 stock and customs. but if that is going to stop you guys from going out to other regions i think that's a bad thing because newer players on the tournament scene don't get to meet you guys as houston reps. i've met xyro way back when at MLG dallas or something, we ran a samus ditto, it was fun.

thanks for reading,
diddy kong player #3
I only went to dallas to see how customs were and to see what the fuss is all about and of course to meet zero and dabuz etc. After 2 hours in, i got sent to losers in doubles from the jankiest fox/olimar team ever lol.... I went into the tournament knowing nothing about customs and still placed 9th in singles and probably would of gone to at least top 3 if it wasnt for the TO'ing, and i'm only a small seed in a big field here in houston. Imagine if Trela, Grim, Flip along with alot of good talent here in houston would've gone to aftershock.
Zero is so far the best player in the US in Smash. If he wasn't there a Rosalina would've won. I still hope for some kind of patch on Diddy.
i agree, nerf diddy plsss :( dont want him banned.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It sucks the legit Diddy mains have to get hit, but alas, that is the collateral of maining a controversial character.

While I would hope there would be some sort of balance changes, I would not be surprised if they end up not fixing anything. Just keep in mind that the main focus is on casual gameplay, not video games nerds crying over a monkey who can slap the heavens.

Customs add more jank to a game that already has a lot of jank. You cannot deny this.

@ Xyro77 Xyro77 I don't think I will go to SAM. I think there may be someone who will actually enter who wants a ride, and I hate stealing their spot when I know I will just sit there and do nothing. Sorry...

Last edited:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
from what i understand, denti/aerolink have traveled to SA and Houston tourneys, i just think it would be cool if more people did this for every city, even with the ruleset disagreements. i personally don't travel much due to personal stuff, but i would like to.

whispy, i definitely had issues with TO decisions but not as directly as you did. im sorry about what happened there.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It does amuse me to win a tournament then complain about the rules. Well ****, then return the money you won as a form of protest!

"Man, that tournament sucked! So..where's my prize money???????"

Plz

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Jband makes GF, "only Diddy".
I cause 3 upsets and make 5th out of 35 for the first time, "Beros is a god" translation "only Diddy."
:phone:
You're at least maining the character cause you like him, which is RT's point earlier. You're playing for fun and doing hilarious things that tend to throw people off guard while trying to win in a fun way.
The few people choosing Diddy are playing to actually win with all the tactics they can abuse and throwing Uair 50 times in 20 seconds.
If the videos didn't keep skipping at important parts, I could've prolly had a better opinion but it still baffles me on why sylveon went Kirby game 3 against you.

I really wish I could see you vs Jopan especially, would've been fun to know how that turned out since Jopan usually took santi out at UA's or anything not LoS, so he definitely had Diddy experience and losing to you was a surprise for everyone. Otherwise I was just jumping on the boat (agreeing of course) with everyone else that was saying you were a god, not trying to be rude.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So, I think it's divide Texas into two areas...

The liberated areas and the Empire-controlled.

Last edited:

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
oh. well. lol nvm then.
Yeah sorry man. Dallas just doesn't have a very enticing reason for me to go up there. 2-stocks and customs are not something I look forward to. I plan on going to every San Antonio monthly I can though, so it's not really traveling that bothers me. It's because dallas' ruleset feels "meh" to me, as has been said a ton on this thread.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Flip, we can bet. We can bet Rathalos Rubies to discard. I can bet up to 11, which probably will force you into an all-in.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
@ D DelxDoom While the ruleset plays a part in it, almost no one in Houston is actually avoiding Dallas just because of 2 stock and customs.

Denti is most likely the only prominent player in this region that has the means and motivations to go to a tournament every single weekend. And his reasons for attending tournaments aren't the same as ours.

I personally have issues with the rulesets for all the tournaments I attend (I dont like houston's timer or stagelist), so I guess I pretty much always have to compromise anyway so its not as bad for me.

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
@ D DelxDoom While the ruleset plays a part in it, almost no one in Houston is actually avoiding Dallas just because of 2 stock and customs.

Denti is most likely the only prominent player in this region that has the means and motivations to go to a tournament every single weekend. And his reasons for attending tournaments aren't the same as ours.

I personally have issues with the rulesets for all the tournaments I attend (I dont like houston's timer or stagelist), so I guess I pretty much always have to compromise anyway so its not as bad for me.
I avoided Dallas exactly because of 2-stocks and customs. The "lol Dallas" factor played a very minor role in my decision.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I guess what i meant was "not everyone". Or rather the relevant players that Denti is accusing of boycotting Dallas.

Basically anyone willing to travel to SA but not Dallas.

I honestly have no idea who you are though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
"HE'S A NEW GEN!!!!1!11!!!!" -Xyro77

Last edited:

DEEK4Y

Smash Apprentice
I guess what i meant was "not everyone". Or rather the relevant players that Denti is accusing of boycotting Dallas.

Basically anyone willing to travel to SA but not Dallas.

I honestly have no idea who you are though.
I'm new but I'm sure we'll meet eventually.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
yeah I understand not wanting to go to a tournament for any reason. i just think everyone is losing out on good opportunities when it happens.

Top Bottom