• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
literally nothing Shaya/sync/Jerm have said counters the logistics argument.

You cannot expect players to do any of the things you listed if you can't even get them to read the rules to an event they attend.

And you Shaya did the math, it's impossible for a 3ds to have every possible custom set combination so the 3ds idea is a bust.

Next topic?

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
You're being an idiot lol. You didn't even read the post. For God's sake, you don't even have a copy of 3DS smash or know how you create a character's custom move-pool or how Miis are only legal after toggling customs on.

All of your arguments are bred off of laziness and your own agenda. Then you have some kinda cemented idea that every player who will ever enter a tournament from this point on lacks the intelligence to comprehend basic reading skills. You shoot down absolutely everything that's against the status-quo and basically now everybody (including your own future entrants that haven't even been given a chance yet + the majority of your community that has stuck by your side for over 6 years) instead of attempting to work with them. Even after they're willing to go out of their way and offer solutions in making the ideas succeed.

Next topic? We need a new TO.

Last edited:

Xyro77

You/Tesh/Jerm....etc are not TOs and thus lack the insight/foresight to understand logistics of getting mass amounts of people to do things in regards of tournaments. That is the basis of our disagreement. You, of course, won't agree (how could you? You lack experience to know any better) with what I am saying so you immediately leap to the side of other non TOs, **** TOs and/or stupid people who do not see the bigger picture.

But as usual, I will carry on like normal and provide events that will keep TEXAS/Smash 4 alive. And what I do has worked for over 10 years. Beating out EVERY SINGLE other TO I've ever come across. They even had more time, money and better venues the entire time they competed with me. They fail because they think about money/themselves and players who only use them until they don't. Players come and go but the game is here to stay. It's up to TOs to make sure the GAME lives a healthy-ish life. I am the only one here who does this and thus it is why I am still here today and why my events are chosen over the rest in Texas. You won't/don't understand and that's totally fine, that's not my problem.

Edit: I'll argue more on this tomorrow. For now, it's my birthday and I def ain't gonna spend it arguing this obsession of yours with ruining a brand new smash game

Last edited:

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
Ah, the great customs debate. Lol anyway I wanted to pop in and thank everyone for coming out to GFC last night. You all could have gone to the Smash 4 Wii U preview event (and get 2, 2 minute games in), or the weekly GG tournament (if melee/pm is your thing), but instead you came to GFC for some good ol' competitive Smash 4 so yep, much appreciated.

The Wii U tournament on December 13th at GFC Toys doesn't clash with anything else (unless someone decides to deliberately step on my event). So turnout should be back to ~20 to 35 like I am used to.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yea, you definitely didn't read what we said, or completely ignored it. Buts it's fine cause Smash 4 suggs digg. I was two stocking this guy repeatedly online, then he went little mac and started destroying me lol, so I sucks too.

I did realize something, might've been slow to it tho, this game is actually called smash 4. Smash for(4) 3ds / Smash for wiiu. Clever Nintendo is clever

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
There are too many problems with allowing custom moves in a Smash Wii U tourny. You can still play with custom moves in casual matches with your friends just like other casuals can play with items on hanenbow with their friends.

:059:

TheJerm

Smash Champion
And thats that. First step to make something happen is believe it can happen. And that doesn't seem to be the case here. I shouldn't be pushing for a change anyways.. and should be trying to find ways to break my addiction of competitive play of a trivial game

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just shut up and play Melee.

Solves everything.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Happy birthday Allan! I hope you're drinking all the Fireball in the world :)

I'm not going to argue with anyone because truly there is almost no point so I'm just going to support what I can support. No use in wasting energy on something that will never change. I saw NAKAT post an interesting tidbit on Facebook about a unified rule set, so I hope to offer what small voice I have to that. Unity is more important than squabbling over rule sets. Looks like customs are done for which honestly doesn't affect me at all but it still sucks :/

Also s/o's to everyone that went to GFC and also to @ Krebs Krebs for hosting a fun (STACKED) tournament. Looking forward to seeing everyone at tournaments in Houston! We're looking like one strong city once again so let's keep it up and leave no one behind :)

In case anyone is curious, I'll be having a nice smash fest for the WiiU release so if anyone wants to practice be sure to stop by. If you want to be extra cool, bring some snacks or water bottles just to do your little part! In the future, I might hold small Sex Saloons tournaments (I know Razer wants this name changed lmao) to make sure everyone is on point as we venture into this new meta game!

Lastly, for anyone looking to practice at my house after the release, just give me a call to make sure we're actually home/available and we'll be happy to open up the dojo for all the Houston bois! My number is 7132018338 and Facebook is Austin Bastida-Ramos so don't be a stranger :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Awwwwwwww yeah, Friday will be sweet. I'll try to get there around mid-afternoon, hopefully with all characters and stages unlocked.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I might go
Off school Thanksgiving week so it should be possible if I can get a ride

Popertop

Smash Champion
Dear lord, how the hell is this even a damn debate?!?!?

Have separate events for each: Custom LEGAL, and Custom BANNED

It's not that hard really. This would solve the logistics problem as well as any balance issues.
You have the players that care about customs unlocking them in preparation for the tourney they want to enter,
and the people that don't care entering the regular one. We already have an example of part of a move set
causing similar controversy within the Smash community: Wobbling. What did we do? Have Wobbling legal
for some events, and Wobbling banned for others. To this day, we still alternate Wobbling legal and Wobbling
banned, and I say that's a healthy attitude to have towards customs. It will be a different game after all,
with a different meta game.

Custom move sets have never been done before, so they need to be handled differently.

You can't keep applying the same tired logic to a completely different subject.

So go ahead and have your BANNED events for now, but please, PLEASE, set up some custom LEGAL
tourneys. People will know in advance what to have unlocked, and the TO and his staff can prepare
accordingly with the setups beforehand, and with some on-call 3DS attendees. (double as judges to check equipment, be available for double blinds, etc.) You can even have players RSVP with their request for custom move sets in advance, or have them bring their own setup. If they do not, they will just have to deal with the default move set, which isn't a terrible loss for a lot of characters.

tl;dr

The point is, there is a demand for Custom LEGAL events, so it is our responsibility as the community to step up and make it happen. We don't have to submit to having nothing but Custom LEGAL, but we shouldn't shut ourselves off from something the community could grow from.

In other news, I am borrowing a copy of smash 4, my 3DS friend code is 3411-1766-3642, and I will be online tonight.

Good day, Gentlemen.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
We can always do house tournament with customs on. I really don't care about Apex or what Japan does so its w/e.

So who is coming over when on Friday?

Is anyone doing midnight release and coming over? I'll be busy during the afternoon.

If ya'll bring snack, try to avoid cheesy or chocolate stuff, dont wanna mess up your controllers with gunk right away.

If anyone comes over with the game around midnight, we can have hot cocoa and something sweet. I know its gonna be cold.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Xyro, of course there's a logistics issue. My argument is that dependent on scope, there is a reasonable solution. A 30 second 'creation' on a 3DS to put onto a WiiU that doesn't already have it available.
It does require 'making it work'. If you're thinking 100 man tournaments then the stakes are too high for just 'trying it out' without a plan in mind. But I'd say its a fraction of the logistics difference between running just a bracket and also running pools (extra seeding, people managing the pools, handing in results, etc etc). If you can find 3+ 3DSes that can be dedicated to fixing up WiiUs with custom move sets players want I truly feel it's just about habits / comfortability rather than time and resources (this is talking about the long run, not just early day events).

Happy birthday bro either way, have a good one :D

Last edited:

Xyro77

You're literally a dad, and RT remembers the planting of the first rice patty. I'm not much younger myself (though not going to be present).
LMAO @ them rice eaters!

We can always do house tournament with customs on. I really don't care about Apex or what Japan does so its w/e.

So who is coming over when on Friday?

Is anyone doing midnight release and coming over? I'll be busy during the afternoon.

If ya'll bring snack, try to avoid cheesy or chocolate stuff, dont wanna mess up your controllers with gunk right away.

If anyone comes over with the game around midnight, we can have hot cocoa and something sweet. I know its gonna be cold.
I'll be there the day of the games launch. I can't do a release party with you guys.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I hate all of you.

I should just bring bags of rice to smack all of you.

Tesh

Smash Hero
the leak that had 8 player smash listed 60+ and was clearly on te mark with almost everything

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I think it was THE FALCHION BLADE actually.

Top Bottom