• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Competitively? Sure.

From a casual gamer standpoint? WHO CARES.

Guess which one takes less effort.

Again, there might be patches for glitches that renders the game unplayable in some fashion or ruin the "fun" gameplay for casuals, but don't expect a "balance patch".

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I definitely agree with that. Although, couldn't it be said that the competitive smash scene has been a growing "nuisance" to the point where Nintendo has taken notice and acted? Hence them backing off Evo, acknowledging imbalance in Brawl, addressing problems in Brawl like tripping/speed/making it more balanced between melee and Brawl, etc? It seems like competitive smash could be useful to them from a business perspective.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nintendo won't care about the competitive scene. Their main focus is on the casual and kid-friendly audience. It's their main moneymaker.

The only reason they cared about EVO was because the organizers did not follow proper procedure in notifying them about using their IP. They didn't care about the actual tournament itself. Did they donate any money to EVO? To MLG for Brawl? Yeah...

It's great you think they care, but they really truly don't. Smash has always been a mostly grassroots-sponsored community, and that's fine.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You're still not getting the point, Razer.

NINTENDO...DOESN'T...CARE.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I think after the mlg/evo incident in the brawl era, Nintendo is most def looking at the competitive scene now. Will the morph the game or patch the game to appeal to us? I doubt it. But i do think they will allow us to participate (stream wise) at future event. Ironically, smash is Nintendo ONLY hard core competitive game. If they ever wanna break back into the mainstream "core" audience, ssb4 can be it.

Xyro77

I'm still hoping the online play will be solid.
Not me. Good online takes away from offline attendance. This hurts the offline scene. There are sooooo many people out there that would just stay at home and play online instead of go out and actually be social/raise attendance numbers.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm still hoping the online play will be solid.
Only if the netcode isn't garbage and random frames of input lag isn't added.
I think after the mlg/evo incident in the brawl era, Nintendo is most def looking at the competitive scene now. Will the morph the game or patch the game to appeal to us? I doubt it. But i do think they will allow us to participate (stream wise) at future event. Ironically, smash is Nintendo ONLY hard core competitive game. If they ever wanna break back into the mainstream "core" audience, ssb4 can be it.
Looks like someone doesn't know about competitive Pokemon. Nintendo actually sponsors some tournaments, granted the rulesets are mostly garbage.

Noticing it =/= caring about it. The smash community is a small fraction of all smash players. If Nintendo sponsors a tournament series, expect it to have garbage rulesets.

Xyro77

Only if the netcode isn't garbage and random frames of input lag isn't added.
Looks like someone doesn't know about competitive Pokemon. Nintendo actually sponsors some tournaments, granted the rulesets are mostly garbage.

Noticing it =/= caring about it. The smash community is a small fraction of all smash players. If Nintendo sponsors a tournament series, expect it to have garbage rulesets.

In the handheld department, Nintendo has never lost. What ever games go on that system, the system succeeds. No need to bring 3ds/pokemon up.

Im talking console aka WiiU aka the console that is not doing well currently. If nintendo sponsored it by hosting their own rules, sales of its game/system would rise faster than it would had they not done anything. Allowing it to be streamed by evo/mlg or whoever would do the same thing.

Advertising this new smash/wiiu would def help their wallet as a whole. WiiU is being **** on by mainstream media because it doesnt have ps4 lvl graphics or mainstream sheep games. If they focus on a well known franchise that is COMPETITIVE, i truly believe things can be different from them. The only reason why CoD is a big deal is because you cannot get a Mountain Dew, Monster Energy drink, bag of Doritos, view a mainstream website, go see a movie or watch a TV show with out CoD being advertised. The more a concept is shown, the more attention it gets. Nintendo saw this with the wii and guess what? it won last gen by a land slide. I just want them to do that with smash4.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
What are you even talking about?

I was posting in response to your statement about hardcore competitive games. Pokemon is definitely the biggest hardcore competitive scene as far as Nintendo is concerned. Smash has some influence here and there. Pokemon...practically EVERYONE in the world knows about it. This is why they sponsored Pokemon tournaments for it. Name the last Smash-related tournament Nintendo actually sponsored in recent years.

Nintendo considers it a party game for casuals, because that's the biggest audience this game appeals to. And they are smart for doing so, because it gets them the most money. I'm not saying it would be bad if Smash 4 got support, that would be amazing!

But the fact is Nintendo doesn't care about competitive Smash for the most part. It's mostly been community-driven with help from MLG and few other sponsors. Remember how Smash had to be VOTED into EVO? The community had to do it through money donations, it was not through invitation (which is still silly). And people still ******* about it.

And Nintendo hardly advertises anything ever. Look at the Wii U...only recently did they finally push commercials. Don't expect Nintendo to have any partnerships with Cheetos or Coca-cola or anything like that.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It means Sakurai is a troll, this should not surprise anyone.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
RT, this is what I was mainly addressing. I see your side, but I think there is a possible shift in how they will handle competitive smash based off these events.

Also, during the Evo thing, Nintendo took an image hit. Trending on Twitter as the bad guy isn't good for them. Especially since lots of casuals are on social media.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Irrelevant players can change their names as much as they want. If no one knows you now, no one cares that your name is different. As far as I know, ADHD and Vinnie accomplished nothing before they changed their names. For example, if I changed my tag to "Suo" or "Nite" and started winning tournaments, I guarantee you I'd be known by those names and outside of Houston, no one would really remember "Tesh".

Thats all it really comes down to, plenty of top players have tried to change their names (Ally, MJG etc.) and it didn't stick. Only benefit to Razer aka grimturtle is that an influx of new people wont already know him as Ultimate Razer.

As for Nintendo, its hard to say what they will do. They are definitely looking closer at competitive gaming than they ever have, but who knows what they would decide to do about it.

Xyro77

It's ironic that new gens like razer/Tesh understand me but my old gen buddy RT doesn't.

DAM IT RT

Edit: this new mobile SWF looks amazing.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, I was just about to comment that its looking better (i'm not on mobile though)..

I didn't take to vibrant immediately and I hated how we looked after the move, but this is a step back in the right direction imo.

Ugh, I need a new sig. Xyro lemmie know when you come up with your new tournament series name so I can whip something up.

Xyro77

I'm thinking of names. Since smash 4 doesn't have a side name like brawl or melee, I need something short and sweet.

I'd also like something that could be slightly altered for when I do my regions.

HOBO went to WHOBO.

See? A slight alteration.

Any ideas?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Xyro likes new gens now.

Hell has officially frozen over.

Xyro77

I dont like them. I just find it odd that they are more intelligent that RT.

Xyro77

SWF emerald is DELICIOUS

go to the bottom left side of this thread and choose your color

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I dont like them. I just find it odd that they are more intelligent that RT.
...............................................................................................................no

TheMasterGinta

Smash Cadet
You got to take an incentive to get Nintendo to care for an offline scene for this game, can't just expect them to sponsor it just cause. Although Sakurai seems not to like the competitive community in these games, doesn't hurt to try and convince nintendo to help sponsor (although I hope they don't make the rules). I don't know the full extent of how nintendo feels about the competitive scene, so I may be talking nonsense.

Also am new to the smash scene, will hopefully be going to future smash events in Texas for Smash, so hope to see you guys there and have a good time.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Nintendo obviously doesn't care about competitive smash compared to their workings with pokemon, but I think it's gotten to the point where it can't be ignored and they might utilize it or do something.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Definitely think you people are reading too much into that/are reading it wrong. Translation wise, strong doesn't equal strength from Japanese to English. The Japanese usually say someone is "strong" to mean really good/powerful skill wise.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Game balance = buff marth, nerf bowser, donkey kong and link.

Ya'll need to keep in mind he basically said he is prioritizing nooby FFA balance over 1v1. If you are a casual player, you probably have a hard time tippering with marth, while it might seem nearly impossible to avoid the occasional Link Dair, Africa Punch or Bowser Bomb.

He also said it took 6 years to balance brawl. Don't get your hopes up.

Top Bottom