• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
they did that crap in mkwii...BLARRRRRRRGH
Yeah, but it does teach you to manage your items better.

dude yes!

im gonna update the HOKO page in das morn with rules.
Please do, the only thing you need to worry about is that ******** glitch shortcut. There's apparently TWO in that course now, one that saves like 20 seconds and one that saves 1 second...I'm *more* concerned about the 20 second one...

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Sorry I got disconnected, my internet is acting up right now. <_<

Also, if you're going to use the term rubberband, at least know what you're talking about. Rubberbanding refers to how random AI characters (usually two) are "chosen" to be your rivals during a cup and get increased speed when behind you and gradually decrease speed when ahead of you. Hence, they rubberband around your position. Rubberbanding does not describe the item system nor does it describe human players. If you really want to rage, then at least say items are broken, like a normal person. Here's a nice little article for those that are extremely bored.

They did try to balance the items a little bit this time around. Blue shell no longer knocks items out of you, unless you are holding it behind you. You're also given Mushroom, Tanooki Tail, and Red Shell to counter items thrown at you when in 1st place. Of course, some of the item distribution is still very questionable (getting Lucky 7 while in 4th), but for the most part, it's still about as balanced as it can be. In a perfect MK, you would be allowed to exclude certain items, but you can't, so you just have to...

wait for it...

DEAL WITH IT.

And it's obvious MK has an inherent bit of luck built into it. You just have to minimize the amount of bad luck you receive by playing smart.
incorrect. the term "ruberband" means pretty much the further behind you are in a race(the farther the band is pulled back) the more powerful itemes you get(the farther the item in the band is thrown/the more the item will hurt when its launched.) its been like this since the term was created in the gcn days. that no name site has it way off. LOL just compare the examples and see which one makes sense.

and they didnt balance it well if mkwii-ness is still happening.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Man, you never read the articles I post do you?

An unrelated feature of Mario Kart multiplayer has been inaccurately labelled rubber banding, wherein trailing players are given the best items while those in the front are forced to deal with nothing but bananas and single green shells. In reality, rubber banding is only possible with computer-controlled characters and the distribution of items is openly known and well-documented as giving an advantage to the players further back.,
Bold AND increased the size of the important text. Stop being wrong. Here's a Television Tropes article about it too. Notice how rubber band AI can be applied to many other games too.

Saying the items are unbalanced, overpowered, or have poor distribution would be correct...not rubber band.

You are the first person in the entire world to say the item system is rubber band...which makes no sense because you are comparing apples to oranges (sounds familiar...). But that's only because you truly don't know what you're talking about.

Xyro77

Man, you never read the articles I post do you?

Bold AND increased the size of the important text. Stop being wrong.
in reality, when you pull a rubber band back as far as it goes(last place racer) and give it an item(item box), it will become much more powerful(notice how last place racers always get all the GOOD items) than it would be if it were not pulled back at all(the first place racer who only gets trash items.)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
There are conflicting reports in regards to snaking. It's very similar to MKWii's snaking, which wasn't very useful. Most people are saying that it's not very effective given the course layouts (it can only be done on certain courses and even then can't be used the whole course) and how miniturbos are charged. Some saying it's incredible if done perfectly (good luck doing that with items). Even the reports of people testing it against staff ghosts is inconsistent (the ghosts don't use it btw). There are plenty of vids that demonstrate its usefulness and limitations.

Also, if someone does snake on just a small part of the track, it would be near impossible to prove that they were unless they are RIGHT in front of you.

I really don't care if it's banned for Hoko for now, but in the long run, it shouldn't be banned because it won't be as essential as it was in MKDS.

in reality, when you pull a rubber band back as far as it goes(last place racer) and give it an item(item box), it will become much more powerful(notice how last place racers always get all the GOOD items) than it would be if it were not pulled back at all(the first place racer who only gets trash items.)
Again, that's not rubberbanding. The term comes from how the AI rubber bands around your position. Go back and play Mario Kart 64 or SNES Mario Kart when the items weren't quite as broken. Watch how the AI reacts when you pull far ahead or lag behind. THAT is rubberbanding.

The items are simply distributed so that the person in the back gets the best items. That's called rigged item distribution or "extremely good luck", not rubberbanding. You're grasping at straws in your incorrect definition.

Xyro77

Again, that's not rubberbanding, the items are simply distributed so that the person in the back gets the best items. That's called rigged item distribution or "extremely good luck", not rubberbanding. You're grasping at straws in your incorrect definition.
i defined it for you by giving an example. say what u want. its been like this since the beginning.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You're giving a definition based on your poor understanding of the concept. Of course you're going to think you its correct.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You're applying the wrong concept in your example. It's unfair item distribution. Anyone else can see that.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
ah so u dont know what a rubberband is. thats why u dont get all this. poor rt
Lol, classic bad debate skills. Attacking the person instead of disproving their logic or argument.

Ever wonder why you can't get a star or a lightning bolt while in first place? It's because it's...UNFAIR ITEM DISTRIBUTION. The game is PROGRAMMED so that you can't get these items. If you could get a star or lightning bolt, THEN it could be considered rubber banding since this would allow the person in first to pull ahead even further (thus *stretching the rubber band*). HOWEVER, you can't, so it ceases to be rubberbanding.

Xyro77

Ever wonder why you can't get a star or a lightning bolt while in first place? It's because it's...UNFAIR ITEM DISTRIBUTION. If you could get a star or lightning bolt, THEN it could be considered rubber banding, since this would allow the person in first to pull ahead. HOWEVER, you can't, so it ceases to be rubberbanding.
ummmm you just said what i said

Xyro77 said:

but u called it the wrong term

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
*sigh*

You're such a bad debater Xyro.

Rubber banding =/= poor item distribution. You're comparing...APPLES TO ORANGES.

You're more then welcome to explain the two concepts to anyone and none of them would agree with you.

Xyro77

*blargh*

there is no debate skills or logic required. u are calling the rubberband system the poor distribution system......MANGOS TO EGGS

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dude...mangos.

Why are you copying my sig, LOL.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Check again, YA BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-sweet.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You should post the Hoko community code in case anyone else wants to join...

Xyro77

You should post the Hoko community code in case anyone else wants to join...
i redid the community so that it erased me and razers scores. the new code is on aib. i dont want people joining it and messing up its numbers until the day of the event

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
ultimaterazer713 (12:02:08 AM): trying battle
ultimaterazer713 (12:05:19 AM): LOL
ultimaterazer713 (12:05:20 AM): i camped
Rockettrainer (12:12:56 AM): UltimateCamper.
ultimaterazer713 (12:13:10 AM): yes

Nike, get it. It's really fun.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
...and you got this random conclusion from...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom