• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hot Dickings! Jan 30th - 31st! 2010, STL MO. BONUS POT (1/24/10 with LIVESTREAM)

Cook

Smash Master
@Metal
I forgot to factor in doubles as well, so yeah this might take awhile. I'll do some calculations later.
Also please make sure Seth goes, I miss that fella'.

@Legan
Thanks bud, I might come hang the night before possibly, if all works out, and if that's cool with you and Rauleen.

@Afrayail
Well, this ended up making more hype then I thought, as of right now, I think...we're coming close to 30, no joke.
We should get more than 30, what with the entire MW and Oklahoma being notified. It better be at least 50. And I want to house Iowa :bee:

ps - this is Nicole

Cook

Smash Master
yeah iowa is pretty terrible, just put em all in the same pool so they can swim in failure together.
Well yeah, that's why I want to house IA, don't want to have anyone actually GOOD at my house or anything :laugh:

Ps - DOUBLE PEACH?!?!?!???!

Pps - It's still Nicole.

BOLT08

Smash Lord
I might be interested in this. Depends on if there is melee, and if I'm any sort of decent at brawl by this time.

And money. But yeh, subscribed.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Silly goose.
rawk? :083:

it's really hard to get brawl+melee to work at a one day tournament when you're getting OOS participation, making a decent turnout. it creates a time stress that is only surpassed by pretty much being militant in making people play their matches on time, having a tight registration and pool schedule, and also trying to bounce from hype to hype not letting important matches from both be played at the same time for the sake of the spectators.

although it's doable, it's not really my favorite thing. i would rather spend a quarter of the day playing friendlies, and another quarter of the day just hanging out with people. having melee might satisfy a few people's desires (mine!) or create a couple of extra brawl participants through proxy, but it's really not worth it if you're getting 60+ people show up for brawl. same for vice versa in melee regions. plus, this is coming from like a 90% melee player, 10% brawl player, so no bias here :p

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I really want to play Melee against real people, so we should at least do friendlies if we can't manage in a tourney itself. Or just host a side on some spare set ups? Iunno.

We should take a vote.

Melee, yes or no?

Afrayail

Smash Ace
@Greg: Well, you're a lovable asian. I can't say no; I have a weakness for you folk. Though rides for we Iowans (and some Nebraskans :p) are being sorted out in the Joker thread.

Also, would Trent be able to bring anyone besides Silver? Any interest from the other Nebraskans?

MJG

Smash Hero
Hypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehype

Expect To See A Random Toon Link Main At This Tourney!^_^!

Trent

Smash Champion
I really don't think there's anyone from Nebraska (Besides Silver and I) that is willing to travel 7 1/2 hours for Brawl. I know a couple of Melee people that ***Might*** but only if Melee is 100%

MJG

Smash Hero
Yay!
I played a good TL once, and he rocked me.
I need some exp!
MJG Find me tourney day and friendly the **** out of me.
I know the luigi match up fairly well (just assuming you main him)

Im black..im not hard to miss lol..so yea ill friendly you..might end up regretting in tourney play *:laugh:

EDIT: May I ask who this toonlink was?

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
I know the luigi match up fairly well (just assuming you main him)

Im black..im not hard to miss lol..so yea ill friendly you..might end up regretting in tourney play *:laugh:
No I just picked up Luigi today, I main someone else. ;)
Well, just be sure to get at me, I'm the TO, so I am easy to spot.
The guy I played, his name is Snow, but he's a Mario main, just secondaries TL.

I almost played Amari at a tourney in Chicago, but I got knocked out, and couldn't friendly him, we ended up driving home.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
This will be a perfect opportunity to pimp out NO KOAST v3! :D

Speaking of NK...

Spoilers!
Tentative Date: March 13-14 (Spring Break). 2 day event confirmed!

Back to the topic: I'm going to talk to the guys here about this next time we meet up. I think I can bring a good number of people to this.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Np bud, My Ness is alright, nothing fantastic though.

Amari is pretty legit.

Also to Affinity, baller as ****, I was hella' discouraged after Aerial Rave Major, we had our own room, at a huge convention center, and only 25 people show.

I want a big turn out to raise my spirits again!

darkatma

Smash Hero
I can help you host melee at this, provided you give me enough room, no silly melee in the corner business

but yeah i have the capability of getting setups and I have power strips/extension cords, and I'm from norcal and **** at melee, so.. confirm melee :D

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Hazygoose said:
it's really hard to get brawl+melee to work at a one day tournament when you're getting OOS participation, making a decent turnout. it creates a time stress that is only surpassed by pretty much being militant in making people play their matches on time, having a tight registration and pool schedule, and also trying to bounce from hype to hype not letting important matches from both be played at the same time for the sake of the spectators.

although it's doable, it's not really my favorite thing. i would rather spend a quarter of the day playing friendlies, and another quarter of the day just hanging out with people. having melee might satisfy a few people's desires (mine!) or create a couple of extra brawl participants through proxy, but it's really not worth it if you're getting 60+ people show up for brawl. same for vice versa in melee regions. plus, this is coming from like a 90% melee player, 10% brawl player, so no bias here

I agree with this almost entirely. I really don't think you will have enough time to devote "full tournaments" to both Melee and Brawl, so I think you should focus primarily on Brawl with a Melee side event.

That way people can still play plenty of Melee friendlies / side tournament matches if they want, but it won't detract from the main event.

Radium88

Smash Lord
HOLY HECK THAT WAS A LOT TO READ THROUGH! I ask Milk to post the thread last night and I come back from work with 5 pages already and then 3 more after hanging out with people. o_O

This is quite exciting that people are interested in coming. StL has been lacking on doing tournaments but thanks to the help of Aerial Rave, the ball got rolling. If this goes well there may be future events and possibly future circuit events >_<

Some points I will now have a chance to say:

1. Thanks to Alt-F4 for the title and thanks MMM for the sig/banner. Also thanks MO for the hype. Haha and Affinity since I just noticed his sig. I'm quite nervous to run this but I'm sure with the help of Milk and other supporters, I know it will run smoothly. I definitely will need help getting the set-ups organized and making sure each station has a match going and definitely keep people in check. Also, thanks for getting the stage list corrected and the suicide rule. I think the initiator does get the win from what I've understood.

2. If there is enough interest for melee, we will definitely NOT do it on the same day. That is just way too hectic and it would be cramped in the venue. I WILL reserve the room again for Sunday for the melee kids. If the turnout is good, venue fee will not go up. May even go down or an extra pot bonus will be added to the payout of both brawl and melee, depending on how much over is collected from brawl and melee. And to avoid confusion, the pot increase for brawl and melee will be determined according to how much over is collected for brawl and melee separately.

3. As of right now, I've counted 25+; this is not including all of StL that plan on attending nor all the extra people from each crew. I've just counted the names that have mentioned interest and haven't included how many they might bring. SO WITH THAT SAID: Please mention an estimate of how many people are coming from your state.[Edit: I lurked around the Iowa thread] Also, PLEASE PLEASE give me an estimate of how many set-ups your crew will be bringing. I want this tourney to run as smooth as possible and set-ups is a HUGE factor. If you guys could PM me this info or post it on the thread, I can get **** organized. So I would like to know number of people, number of set-ups, state, and which event you're interested in

4. HOUSING: It will also be very important to know about how many people are coming.
We (Legan, Alt-F4 and I) will be housing most of the people because a) ~10 mins from the venue b) can proooooobably fit between 15 - 25 ppl?? If we move furniture around and people bring their own blankets and pillows c) Legan is there? I think I had something else but I lost my train of thought

But also, tell me if you can house and how many. (If you haven't stated it on this thread)

As soon as I get things organized, I'll ask Milk to post up a tentative list of attendees. ALSO!!! Another reason that I REALLY REALLY need to know exactly how many are coming is because IF there are more than 50 attendees, which I doubt but you never know, I may have to change the venue.

If we get enough set-ups, I will devote at least 1 for friendlies for Brawl and maybe 1 for friendlies for Melee.

Oh and HYPE HYPE HYPE

@MILK! (too much work to PM): You didn't post what I said about the pools? Por que? = why? >_< Haha, also....add this under the click here for map link thingy. It's just written directions to the venue:

From I-270 North/East/West whichever: Exit 25B (Lindbergh Blvd. North); turn right at Dunn-Taylor Road East. Turn right at Douglas Palmer Street. Hotel is on the left.

Oh and did you make an AiB thread too? If so, post the link to the thread yo!

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Oh, I wasn't aware that a 2-day venue was an option. If you do Brawl Saturday and Melee Sunday, then that would work. I was under the impression that we only had one day.

Also, I can house about 5 people I would guess, in case you missed that.

Radium88

Smash Lord
Oh, I wasn't aware that a 2-day venue was an option. If you do Brawl Saturday and Melee Sunday, then that would work. I was under the impression that we only had one day.

Also, I can house about 5 people I would guess, in case you missed that.
I kept meaning to tell Milk! that I won't do a Brawl/Melee tournament at the same time. But if enough interest, aka about 15+ people are wanting Melee, I'll ask the manager if I could reserve the place for those two days.

And no worries, I got that. I have Nicole and you down for housing atm.

Nuris

Smash Lord
I think I will have a few extra TVs by the time this thing happens, and Darkatma is a TV pimp. More than anything we would need people to bring Wiis, cubes, and the games.

I'm not worried about Melee finishing on time, even if we are allotted fewer set-ups and less space. This is partly because Melee generally goes faster (this is a fact, not a crack at Brawl), and because I will be a hardass TO if I do and unplug people's friendly matches if we need the TV for tourney lol.

More than anything I would be concerned about space. I dunno how big the venue is, but I'm not sure it will be able to ignore my girth. Just saying.

DallasPhat

Smash Master
Planking Gnes While He Watches Invincible Youth
Hmm if I can find relatively cheap tickets (around 150ish) dphat will probably make an appearance. I'll give you guys more details later on. Anyways someone pm me the closest airport to the venue so I know which airport I should look into. Also curious on what you guys are expecting turnout to be. If it's 50+ I'll most likely make an appearance.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Woah, TX might be coming to this? That is so awesome! You should check into Lambert airport, that one is pretty close to the venue and also to Legan/Rauleen/Steve's house.

I've advertised this tournament to Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, and Oklahoma. So hopefully some of those butt****ers (excepting KS, IA, and OK, they're cool and don't **** each other in the butt) will stop with the driving johns and come to this. I'll let them know that TEXAS is willing to FLY to this, though I doubt it will change their minds... :ohwell:

In other news, I can definitely house you and Silver, Trent.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Brawleen, you never mentioned to me about not hosting both in the same day, silly.

Considering a 2 day event is an option, sounds good to me, it seems like we've got some interest in Melee, so lets take a final vote?

MELEE ON SUNDAY
Yes?
No?

If the Melee peeps can guarantee us people will show up for Sunday, then Brawleen will try to get that **** going. Brawleen if you want, I can pay half the venue price for each day if you'd like. Or assuming the venue will just be more expensive for renting it for two days, instead of paying two different intervals of 110$, I'll pay half of whatever the total is. ;)

@Brawleen:
Sorry, I forgot to add the pools thing into the OP, got it! :D

Nuris

Smash Lord
I say yes to Melee on Sunday. If you PM me with some details about the room (size, price, etc.) I can help figure out logistically what will make the most sense, and it might help to confirm some more people for Melee.

Top Bottom